3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

airdog orange light coming on..do I need a bigger airdog pump???

Old 12-04-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airdog orange light coming on..do I need a bigger airdog pump???

Hey guys
I modded my Cp3 pump here a couple months ago to John's stage 3 pump and now when you hammer down on it perty hard the airdog orange light blinks....it never did that b4 I modded the CP3 pump..is it not gettin enough fuel to the CP3 pump???do I need a bigger airdog pump or what do I need to do????
Old 12-05-2008, 01:16 AM

Filters are clean? Did you put in a draw straw, or drawing from the factory canister?

Did you run new fuel line all the way to the CP3, or to engine mounted fuel filter? Did you do high flow Banjo fittings to the CP3 if you ran to the engine mounted fuel filter/heater?

Is it the AIRDOG 100 or 150?

I think that light blinks when it gets to 4psi or lower. So yes, you need better flow to the CP3 (esp the stg 3, I think John told me to feed it constant 30+ psi)
Old 12-05-2008, 05:11 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by White97GTVert
Filters are clean? Did you put in a draw straw, or drawing from the factory canister? drawing from the factory canister

Did you run new fuel line all the way to the CP3, or to engine mounted fuel filter? Did you do high flow Banjo fittings to the CP3 if you ran to the engine mounted fuel filter/heater? ran the fuel line all the way to the CP3

Is it the AIRDOG 100 or 150? I am not sure about that..if it is the 100 can I just leave my hoses and stuff where they are at and upgrade to the 150???

I think that light blinks when it gets to 4psi or lower. So yes, you need better flow to the CP3 (esp the stg 3, I think John told me to feed it constant 30+ psi)
it definately is not getting enough fuel to the cp3..also my injectors feel dead and they just supposedly put Don's flux 2's in there..cant even tell there in there.....
Old 12-05-2008, 05:15 AM

Filters are clean? Did you put in a draw straw, or drawing from the factory canister?

Did you run new fuel line all the way to the CP3, or to engine mounted fuel filter? Did you do high flow Banjo fittings to the CP3 if you ran to the engine mounted fuel filter/heater?

Is it the AIRDOG 100 or 150?

drawing from the factory canister.......ran the fuel line all the way to the cp3....i am not sure on what size pump...where does it say what size pump it is??if it is the 100,can i leave my hoses and stuff and just upgrade to the 150???
Old 12-05-2008, 06:59 AM

Where's your AD return going?
If it's going into the filler neck and you're fuel gauge says 3/8 tank or lower you're sucking the canister dry.
Either plum the return into the canister or fill up when you get down to half a tank.

BTW, you've done quite a bit to your truck, how come you're relying on an idiot light? Get some gauges.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:22 AM

Fisherguy has a point. Well 2 of them..

Get a real gauge. You would be able to keep track and know if its going to 4psi, or 0 psi instead of just "low pressure"

Also the 2nd point regarding sucking the canister dry is also an idea. Have you run the truck with a full tank of fuel? (or over half more importantly)

If you get under the truck and look at the Airdog unit it should have a model # on it stating what it is. Was it already on the truck when you got it? Either way get the model # from that. You can change the feed pressure on the Airdog pumps. I believe Richard at Glacier will sell the parts for that. Might help out a bit.

I was going thru my emails from John regarding pumps and such, and he said he wanted 30psi + to inlet of the CP3 a couple different times with the stage 3 pump. Your Airdog probably is putting out half that (guess)

An Airdog 150 should fuel a 700hp truck (assuming not dual cp3s) and maybe 750hp.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 AM

You can get more pressure out of the AD by pulling off the return fitting and either stretching the spring or changing it to a stiffwer one.
When I did my install Charlie was talking about an adustable valve to replace the spring similar to what's on the Raptors, maybe that's part of the "new and imroved" AD's we're hearing about?
If so I hope it's something we can retrofit to our old models....
Old 12-05-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
Where's your AD return going?
If it's going into the filler neck and you're fuel gauge says 3/8 tank or lower you're sucking the canister dry.
Either plum the return into the canister or fill up when you get down to half a tank.

BTW, you've done quite a bit to your truck, how come you're relying on an idiot light? Get some gauges.
can I just upgrade to the 150 AD and leave my hoses and stuff and just hook em back up to the new pump???...also on my 03 I do not have a AD draw straw in the canister in the tank
Old 12-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kdbvulcan
can I just upgrade to the 150 AD and leave my hoses and stuff and just hook em back up to the new pump???...also on my 03 I do not have a AD draw straw in the canister in the tank
yes. i did it on a 03
Old 12-05-2008, 10:03 PM

Fisherguy has a point. Well 2 of them..

Get a real gauge. You would be able to keep track and know if its going to 4psi, or 0 psi instead of just "low pressure"

Also the 2nd point regarding sucking the canister dry is also an idea. Have you run the truck with a full tank of fuel? (or over half more importantly)
yeah it did it when I had a 3/4 tank of fuel
If you get under the truck and look at the Airdog unit it should have a model # on it stating what it is. Was it already on the truck when you got it? Either way get the model # from that. You can change the feed pressure on the Airdog pumps. I believe Richard at Glacier will sell the parts for that. Might help out a bit.

I was going thru my emails from John regarding pumps and such, and he said he wanted 30psi + to inlet of the CP3 a couple different times with the stage 3 pump. Your Airdog probably is putting out half that (guess)

An Airdog 150 should fuel a 700hp truck (assuming not dual cp3s) and maybe 750hp.
it still did it when I had a 3/4 tank of fuel
Old 12-05-2008, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
yes. i did it on a 03
so i would be alright by just swapping the pumps and not have to worry about putting a draw straw in the canister???.n still get plenty of fuel up there to the CP3 pump eh??
Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
need to do the draw straw if you upgrade to the 150
Old 12-06-2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
need to do the draw straw if you upgrade to the 150
whats the main reason to do the draw straw???could i swap pumps 1st n check my fuel pressure n then do the deaw strtaw if needed??
Old 12-06-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by kdbvulcan
whats the main reason to do the draw straw???could i swap pumps 1st n check my fuel pressure n then do the deaw strtaw if needed??
The 150 needs more fuel than the factory feed can supply, it goes down to about ¼" at the lid.

I'd get a FP gauge to see what's going on first, if you're really not geting enough fuel I'd try stretching the spring first.
I can't see why you're having problem at 3/4 tank, with that much in the tan kthe fuel should be above the level of the canister, unless your 03 canister is talled than my 06.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
The 150 needs more fuel than the factory feed can supply, it goes down to about ¼" at the lid.

I'd get a FP gauge to see what's going on first, if you're really not geting enough fuel I'd try stretching the spring first.
I can't see why you're having problem at 3/4 tank, with that much in the tan kthe fuel should be above the level of the canister, unless your 03 canister is talled than my 06.
does the draw straw come with the 150 kit??also will that mean it will start sucking air at about 1/8 tank of fuel left..thats how my brothers Fass system is on his 06...(thats a pain in the butt)..cant park his on a hill at 1/4 tank left or it wont start

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: airdog orange light coming on..do I need a bigger airdog pump???