3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need a clutch!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Need a clutch!!!

Ok yall havent been on here in a while. As far as i know i still have the stock clutch. and its probly not gonna handle much more. i either have my edge juice stacked on a extreme power puck or i have the puck with my predator. if its with the predator my clutch cant hold much more than half throttle. so my question is, what clutch do i need. not real sure about my hp but i guess with the puck and predator i have maybe 400? tell me if im way off. this time of year i do quite a bit of towing. normally a geo tracker and a s10 blazer on my 24 foot trailer to a local rec park. its kinda hilly on the way there. so what do i need? also what do yall think about the valair clutches? need ur input
Old 04-06-2010, 10:52 AM

Sounds like you should speak with Dan at Valair. Valair seems to be a little cheaper but if you asked a hundred people, 50 would say Valair and 50 would say SouthBend. Both have great customer service and products.

I'de definately spend the mulah and get a DD. Upgrade the hydros and you'll be set for quite a while. It's possible to get a DD without having horrible chatter at idle and low rpm's

Old 04-06-2010, 12:36 PM

If you want a good clutch with room to grow,the south bend 3600 12 disk spring hub will hold 750hp.with good street manors,just had mine installed. $1030.00 w\o hydrolic upgrade to the door. keep in mind that the ribing inside the bellhousing will have to be ground about a half inch shuold be a extra hour on the labor. the clutch pulls great. good luck
Old 04-06-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would steer towards South bend for a few reasons. One, they have more of a selection to pinpoint a clutch for your needs. Second, Peter from SBC is on here alot to answer questions and support his product. Third, Valair has had some ups and downs with the admins and are no longer advertised here.

I put my trust in SBC, I know if something happened they would make it right.

What are your future goals for power??? How often do you tow???

Right now i say the OFE is your best bet for towing, and its rated to 450hp/1000ft/lb
Old 04-07-2010, 04:41 PM

I just installed SDD 3250 and results are:

1. Wallet is lighter
2. Pedal pressure is greater than stock
3. Shifting is as close to stock as can be expected
4. Pedal travel seems less than stock
5. Clutch does chatter when in neutral with clutch out
6. I can't wait to add some more ponies to her
Old 04-08-2010, 10:32 PM

I got a Valair DD, first clutch was all ceramic buttons, new hydro, billet flywheel, flexplate and more...had some problems with it and as heavy as I tow and putting it in reverse. So they swapped it all out...ALL...they put dual dampening springs in each disc, and I totally forget what side, but anyway one side of each disc was ceramic, one side was kevlar buttons, soo much nicer and smoother, quieter now, but the hp ratings it'll hold is the same as all ceramic buttons.