3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

need to clear up some transmission confusion

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 12:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
need to clear up some transmission confusion

Under medium-high throttle, I get a little flare between 2-3. At WOT its about 200 RPMs last i remember. haven't done another WOT run since. noticed fluid was maybe 1.5 quarts low. With a deep pan I thought probably not the problem. Topping off fluid helped a little but i can still tell its doing it the more throttle i give it and it seems there is a band out of adjustment?

I have the smarty set to briefly defuel between shifts (haven't turned off dash gear select display)

From what I've read that included FSM excerpts, there is a front and rear band and it looks like the rear band is shifting into third too late after the front band shifts out of 2nd to 1st. But then I've read about an intermediate band?

could someone set me straight as to what the bands do and what I'll likely need to adjust to top that slip?

once everything is in gear the thing pulls well even before lock up.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The front band is the one that releases between the 2/3 shifts... the rear band is only applied in reverse and if the shifter is manually pulled into low gear.

I have the same problem with mine (pretty heavily built), but I can't seem to get rid of that 2-3 flare myself... that's the only place I need to improve.. everything else is spot on... I thought about a little tighter adjustment on that band, but honestly just too lazy/busy to play with it right now...