3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

More dumb newbie hop-up questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More dumb newbie hop-up questions...

Well I finally went and got a Bully Dog Triple Dog DL today. Now I have a couple questions. First, let me say this is my first diesel and so far I am LOVING it!! I will never go back to gas engines in my vehicles again.

I have been kinda lurking on this board for a while and have learned so much already from you guys, thanks!

Now I need to know if I can run my bddl on "Tow/Econ" mode all the time without worrying about EGT's and trans temps under normal driving habits?
I am in the process of getting an Outlook monitor but in the meantime, I don't want to cook anything.
I drive a fair mix of highway (65-80mph) and city (stop and go) mainly unloaded, and tow my 35ft, 10,000lbs travel trailer occasionally for camping.

Also, what about on the performance setting? I do NOT intend to tow on the "Performance" (or higher) settings, just my daily driver type stuff. Is it safe to drive much on that setting without having to really worry about temps?

And then there is the "Extreme" and "Crazy Larry"... How much can you do until the EGT's get too high?? Like if I wanted to beat up on a Powerjoke or a Duramaxi. Is one little drag on the E-way or from a light gonna be too much?

Then there is the tranny. I have read so much about upgrading the TC and VB that I am kinda scared to really push on the pedal in those modes. Will a bone stock tranny hold up to that power even in my unloaded truck?

Thanks,
MT
Old 08-24-2006, 07:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
tow is OK for anything.

most folks with gauges tow on PERF.

set it on extreme, you may or may not have enough fuel (from the lift pump) to use it.

i think an 04.5 will do Extreme, my 04 won't do much.

i don't think you can hurt the truck unloaded racing light to light.

a good tranny is $3k. stay on Perf & below, do your maint, and you will be ok.

Extreme, C-Larry, or stack & play, be ready to pay the $3k

you will need to get your Outlook Monitor from a very knowledgeable and reputable dealer to ensure the software rev matches the TD you have.

straight pipe & enjoy
Old 08-24-2006, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honestly i wouldnt run anything without gauges. when you get them you can run the downloader on tow without worries about the tranny as long as you keep up on the truck. extreme or crazy larry settings are pretty strong and will eat your tranny and turbo for dinner. be carful with them