1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

dumb newbie questions -- 92 Power Ram 250 CTD

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dumb newbie questions -- 92 Power Ram 250 CTD

Okay I gotta few dumb newbie questions here:

1) I've seen a couple of 1st gens with bucket seats on here, were those a factory option? If so, if anyone knows where a set are for a decent price in GRAY that would be great, as I'm getting a lil tired of my bench seat (although it is the CLOTH LE seat, with no rips or tears!) and would like to upgrade to some buckets

2) My truck does not like to shift into O/D until almost 70MPH, I found the article on the TPS adjustment so I adjusted the TPS last weekend (Was at .4V @ idle, and around 1.75 at WOT, now it's 1.04@idle and 3.something at WOT) and now it shifts around 63-65 MPH at full throttle with the engine warm, but it almost seems like it should shift at 55 or 60? Do I need to tweak the TPS a little more, or is there something else wrong? Truck has 115k on it...

3) I found a plate under the hood with a bunch of 3 digit codes on it, are these the option codes for the truck? If so, where could I find something to decode them? dealer? (I've seen such programs for RPO codes on GM products on the internet, like one for Camaros on thirdgen.org..) Would the dealer be able to give me a build sheet, or something like that which would show what options the truck has, etc..?

4) I get a "clunk" from Neutral/PArk to Drive or REverse, worse from Reverse to Drive or vice-versa, seems to quiet down if I mash the brake.. I checked my U joints and the rear most joint has a SLIGHT amount of up and down movement in it, so Firday or Monday or Tuesday I'm going to re-do the U joints at school. Where would be the best place to get them, dealer? or any particular brand I should look for?

5) Is the tach plug under the dash a standard tach signal, i.e. I can plug in a regular old tach and it will work?
Old 12-16-2004, 03:14 AM

Lots of good questions. When it comes to u-joints. I would only buy spicer. You can buy u-joints anywhere but spicers last a long time and have grease fittings in them.
Most autoparts sell u-joints that are not US made. they are not very good.
Stay with spicer, in a white and red box
Good luck
Old 12-16-2004, 08:25 AM

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
The buckets were a factory option.

The clunk is more than likely Ujoints, if they are good then theres some slopp in the gears.

On the build sheet, in past years they put on under a seat. Ask a dealer if they still do that.

The 93 has a plug under the dash and I believe 92s also, but you need the Mopar tach from a dealer. I paid around 150.00, but it plugs right in.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:36 AM

you have to have a diesel tach
Old 12-16-2004, 11:25 AM

Buckets were options.

Tach wire under dash is for a tach and like mentioned, you need a Diesel Tach (0 - 4000 rpm). If you can FIND a mopar stock tach, go for it as they are rare now. I installed a ISSPRO tach and it connected right to the plug without a problem.

Clunk does sound like U-Joints. Get the Spicer like mentioned.

Plate under the hood will list some options. I went to local dealer and with my VIN #, they were able to print of a complete list of what was in my truck. I keep that with my Window Sticker on the truck since it explains some of the options that are on the window sticker.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:43 PM

I also got my build sheet from the dealer parts man, just give him the VIN. I am looking for a bucket seat in tan. Please post if you come across one..
Old 12-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If the u-joints don't cure the clunk, the problem is in the rear axle. It's a worn cross shaft (open diff) or worn out clutch packs (posi). The carnage that was inside the rear on my truck is in my photo gallery.

Bucket seats were a factory option. Mine are staying.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't mind building a few brackets, several members have adapted 2nd gen seats (40/20/40?) to fit the first gen. Mine has the stock buckets but the passenger side vibrates pretty bad and has now cracked out the floor where it bolts thru. 2nd gen seats look like the better way to go in my opinion.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:26 PM

I remember when i ordered my "92" new, the option was $350.00 for the buckets... Pretty good deal i thought!!! (includeing the console of course)

Robert
Old 12-17-2004, 12:07 AM

okay, well Dealer it is for the U Joints :-) Man I wish the Dodge dealer gave us cost + 10% on the parts like the Giant Mistake dealer does lol..

I might pop the pan off and check that cross shaft, since the cross shaft isn't all that hard to replace, AND a lot cheaper than a Dana 70!

And no I do not mind making a bracket for newer buckets :-) Anyone know where I can get a set? Prefer gray, but I could have the Trim and Upholstery shop here at school recover them if I can't find a gray set :-)