3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Man I'm so confused with all the information on here

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man I'm so confused with all the information on here

There's so many types of intakes, gauges, electronics, etc etc etc.

All I'd like to do is put a plan in place to get better gas mileage and add some more horsepower and torque.

From what I've read, I'm definitely going to add gauges first, but here's where it gets tricky. From my experiences in racing jetskiis and motorcycles I've always had the best gains from improving the intake, but which one, then doing the exhaust, and who do you use there?

Then lastly I plan on attacking the electronics and that is the most confusing of all because there so many manufacturers, and then you guys talk about stacking blah blah blah.

So I'm basically lost......
Old 01-04-2006, 09:33 AM

I'd do a Rokktech sensor mod or tone riing and gauges(at least boost/egt)and a muffler only to start with.If going BIG h.p. then more.But the air intake on this for the most part won't help mileage and truck already has a FULL 4 inch exhaust.Leave the Kitty alone.Then go from there if wanting more.Keep it simple to start and try not to void warranty!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For an air intake I'd pick from AFE with a Pro-Guard 7 filter, Scotty, or AEM Brute Force...all of them are good...just pick the one that meets your budget and that you like.

For a box there are also many good choices. If you want just one box with a nice improvement I'd look at a Edge Juice or Quadzilla XZT. The Juice is in-cab adjustable and give nice gains.

To me...exhaust is exhaust. 4 inch pipe is 4 inch pipe. Or 5 inch but for your purposes I think that would be unnecessary. Just need to decide how loud you want it...straight pipe? kitty? no kitty? The MBRP muffler seems to be pretty popular here. I went straight pipe (my truck didn't have a cat from the factory ) and would never go back to anything else.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:37 AM

Don't be confused, just keep reading and you'll learn. Can't speak for the Edge but Quad's XZT box isn't adjustable.
Having said that, I have it and I like it alot.
Having said that, I gave up on trying to get better mileage.
Between the intake mods, my exhaust and the XZT, I'm sure I get better mileage..... when I keep my foot light... which is rare
There are so many variables to trying to get the best mileage possible, such as weather, fuel quality, windspeed, wind direction, what your hauling, how you feel that morning, how your wife feels, if your boss pisses you off, etc. It's impossible to get an accurate monitor to fuel usage that I've just about given up and enjoy the sounds that my Cummins makes.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:00 AM

my .02 is some sort of module or programer first then mess with intake or exhaust if your egts need help. the module is going to be most of the power. jetski's are two stroke and natrually aspirated. you can get huge gains out of pipes and such. These diesles are boosted so there is more power in tweaking the programing. apples and organges comparing a natrally asparated 2 stroke to a turbo diesel. I think tranny mods are even better to do before intake and exhaust but someone would debate me there I am sure. fi you egt's are managable I think performance mod and tranny are were it is at unless you want more sound. then you have to do intake exhaust mods. I would be willing to bet that a truck with updated tranny and the right box would walk away from a truck with same box and intake and exhaust.

I read for months on options I finally decided on the edge juice. The main reason was cost, ease of install, fit and finish, and features. the nice matching gaues the ISSPRO are mechanical and I like electric because of the install ease of it all. So that turned me off to indvidual guages a bit. My wife drives the truck alot so I like to idiot proof it a bit as she is lead footed and having the abilitly to set the backdowns and such is nice.

main thing is set an hp goal. some boxes are just superior here hot juice, tst, BD power put/ triple dog with crazy larry program. these will all require modification to the truck to really get full potential though. if all you really need is a 60hp-100hp bost or something there are many economical solutions. by the time you add gauges they will be as much as the juice though.

I was looking at quadzilla stuff but buy the time I bough the gauges I would have the same money in the setup with less features. he has a controller coming out as well that may make it that a very competitive solution in the next couple months.

Also read up on where the power comes from. most comon are timing, duration, boost, fuel pressure. Some boxes can be stacked some don't stack so well.

one thing I like about a complete system is the safty features. you don't get full power until the engine is warm and it will back down power at certain parameters. now some people do not care about this at all.

there are literally so many options you can make you head hurt. I can say I really like the juice but it is the only box I have had so I would listen to the guys that have had multiple items. 2hrs to install start to finish (3 if you could painting the over mirror pod). looks like it belongs. good power and features. Cost about $650 shipped.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to DTR.

Sometimes this place IS information overload. I felt the same way you do now, and I think most new guys do too. This place is kinda like going through the buffett line, take what you want, and don't overload your plate.

Remember there are thousands of years of experience collectively amoung the members here. Some are into stock, some are into drag racing, some are into "Hot shotting", some are into concrete bedliners (we won't go into that right now. )

Sit back, relax, read and enjoy the time you spend working on your truck and figuring out which "group" you belong too.

Don't be afraid to PM (private message) anyone about a specific problem or just ask the question. What makes this site great is the knowledge that we as a collective group bring to your computer screen.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:26 PM

First things First

The route I went was intake (airaide because that is what the parts house had), straight pipe (kept the cat), and then drove it for a few thousand miles. I then installed a Rokktech sensor (do some searches on that) and now I am just drivin' it and lovin' it. I have found that the truck makes great power stock and sounds good with the mods I have. You can check out the boxes, but if you are looking at mileage, then the sensor will suit you. It costs about $60 and will give you some extra power. I am going to install the Edge juice with attitude. Hope this helps...

BTW you can do the intake mods yourself if you look at some of the threads the members have posted. Good luck and have fun...

Jake