3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Lowering A 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering A 2wd

i have an 03 that is 2wd, and i am wondering can i use the lowering kits that are for the 1500, i have no plans of ever towing anything bigger than a jet ski, so i could care less if i loose the ability to tow heavy objects, i am only wanting to go with a kit that lowers the truck 2 inches in the front and 4 inches out back, i just want to clear the gap in the wheel wells and get rid of some of the excessive body roll
Old 09-12-2007, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by ScienceOfSpeed
i have an 03 that is 2wd, and i am wondering can i use the lowering kits that are for the 1500, i have no plans of ever towing anything bigger than a jet ski, so i could care less if i loose the ability to tow heavy objects, i am only wanting to go with a kit that lowers the truck 2 inches in the front and 4 inches out back, i just want to clear the gap in the wheel wells and get rid of some of the excessive body roll
i've searched ALOT on this as well and turned up really nothing. If you look at the front end, there isn't much travel before your smacking bump stops as it sits so anything more than 2 might be too much. I've flipped the spacers in the back of mine to bring it down a hair over an inch to "level" it out more. I'd like another 1.5" all the way around though.... Anyone have info out there would help out TWO people.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ii have no plans of ever towing anything bigger than a jet ski, so i could care less if i loose the ability to tow heavy objects,

Boy, you are really going to put that HD to use huh?

Now that I have that out of the way.....Do a axle flip in the back, AOS. Up front, ditch the coils and get bags, and trim the bump stops. You could even ditch the leafs out back and get bags all teh way around.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:27 AM

i dont wanna bag my truck and make it scrape the ground, i just want to get rid of some of the gap between the wheel and the wheel well, i am setting my truck up for the quarter mile, not for hauling heavy loads or towing big trailers. so yeah i will putting my HD to use on the track.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:35 AM

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...8&autoview=sku

I used a set of these on my 1500. It droped it about 1.5 inches. If you put 2 sets on there (front and back of leafs) you could get about 2.5 inches of drop and that will about level you out. You will suffer a lil bit on ride quality though, it make it ride kinda stiff. You could probly fab some of these up because if the extra leafs.

As far as the fronts you could probly just cut the spring to your desired hight.

Do these at your own risk. I did both on my 04 dodge an they worked fine.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:38 AM

Lowering spindles will be your best option, but I doubt anyone makes any. But a off road fab shop or racing fab shop should be able to make you some. But they won't be cheap!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:42 AM

hey thanx man, i am just trying to get a little helpful info, i am not wanting to make my truck into a lowrider, i am just wanting to improve the stance and get rid of some body roll
Old 09-12-2007, 10:35 PM

I removed all but two leafs on my 06. I did it looking for traction, but it did level it out.. Still rides good as well..
Old 09-12-2007, 11:41 PM

well i talked this over with a suspension guru, i am going to run 1500 2 inch lowering springs in the front and shave down the bump stops, out back i am going to run 4 inch lowering leaf springs with Cal Trac tractions bars, i am also going to run an anti roll bar to eliminate side to side movement of the rear axle housing
Old 09-12-2007, 11:58 PM

well i talked this over with a suspension guru, i am going to run 1500 2 inch lowering springs in the front and shave down the bump stops, out back i am going to run 4 inch lowering leaf springs with Cal Trac tractions bars, i am also going to run an anti roll bar to eliminate side to side movement of the rear axle housing
That sounds sweet you are now required to post pics lol
Old 09-13-2007, 12:09 AM

With 1500 springs up front you better upgrade the shocks. I'm not sure how well those springs will hold up the added weight of the Cummins engine.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:17 AM

thanx man, yeah as soon as it is complete i will post some pics, to many projects going on, i am getting a new set of rims, stupid potholes, and i am also buying an 08 See Doo RXP-X Supercharged 255hp jet ski, i am upgrading the intercooler, metal boost tubes with a Turbonetics Raptor blow off valve, upgraded supercharger housing, larger supercharger impeller, upgraded ECU, larger fuel injectors, exhaust, air filter kit and improved valve train kit, i have a problem keeping anything i own stock,
Old 09-13-2007, 12:26 AM

yeah, the kit i am getting is for the SRT-10 Viper Ram, even thought the Viper V-10 has aluminum heads i think the weight of the V-10 and the Cummins should be close, the kit comes with CNC billet axle relocation saddles with adjustable pinion angle adjustment, billet shackles, front springs, shocks, bumpstops, and grade 12 military spec hardware, i expect to have to do some modifications but this is how fabricating different components together goes,lol
Old 09-13-2007, 12:57 AM

here is a pic of the lowering kit i will be putting on my truck
Old 09-13-2007, 08:28 AM

Yeah, post pics or other info-I'd like to do the same thing for the same reasons, traction, body roll, plus maybe little better gas mileage-I've heard that more air goes under a vehicle than over it (dunno if this is true?) at freeway speeds.
Is there any way you can put air shocks or something on it so you could raise it up if you wanted afterwards?

Quick Reply: Lowering A 2wd