3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Lorenz Leveling Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Lorenz Leveling Kit Install

After reading on here I decided I wanted the Lorenz leveling kit. Well the Kit has been ordered and is en route. The questions I have to everyone are what is a quick over view of the install. Are there any tips or tricks that would help make things easier. Is there anything I have to be careful with or watch for?

Thanks
Daniel
Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 AM

Put the truck on jackstands and let the front axle hang. Remove the shock bolts top and bottom. The lower shock bolt on the passenger side can be hard to get to. All you have to do is crank the steering wheel to the far right and you will have access to it. Disconnect the driver side track bar connection and the axle will clear enough for the springs and shocks to come out. Pull everything out, and put the new parts in using the reverse order of disassembly. Don't forget to install the stabilizer drop blocks, which are pretty much self explanatory.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:03 AM

I just installed the 5100 system last weekend. I only removed one tire at a time. Safer that way. I also removed the bolt on the passenger side of the track bar (on the axle). You want "BIG" jack stands. I used the 12 ton version from Northern. They go high enough to do the job.

You may or may not need spring compressors. I didn't have any and I wrestled the new (longer springs) into place. Spring compressors would have made it a slam dunk.

I also used a real long (18 inch) extension to remove the shock tower nuts.

Note: I have re-aligned my truck as of yet (after the kit install). It appears to drive/handle ok at 70mph on the interstate. However, I will budget for a new trackbar to put it back into specs.

Note: You might have to remove the tie-rod bolt from the passenger side to get access to the nut for the track bar bolt/and or shock bolt on the passenger side.

Good luck. Have a friend handy also, it makes things go quicker.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Banned

Here's a practical tip...

Remove the anti-sway bar end links BEFORE you put the truck and jack stands and let the front axle droop. If you don't, might get your hat knocked into the creek... ...like me!

--Eric
Old 12-14-2007, 03:49 PM

The long extension for the stock tower bolts will save some busted knuckles.

Grab a hand tape and check your toe once completed. If you need an explanation on how to do this check the DIY Alignment Page on Don Thuren's site.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Banned

Thanks for everyones help
Old 12-15-2007, 11:18 AM

I did the Lorenz Bilstein 5100 System on my truck, this past Sept., & took it to one of the best alignment shops in the Phoenix area. They checked it out & it was almost perfect. Made a very slight adjustment that normally wouldn't even be needed. The adjustment was so slight that they didn't even charge me for the alignment (couldn't believe that!!!).

I'm 61-1/2 years old & have few mechanical skills & was still able to do the front axle mod by myself. After dropping the track bar (drivers side) the axle flopped around enough that I was able to "sit" on the wheel hub & create enough room to remove the old springs & install the new ones. Wasn't too bad however, the new springs are a bit longer than the stockers.

The thing that gave me the most problem, on the front-end, was removing the drivers side shock tower (top) & replacing the Bilstein. I couldn't get too it from the top & had to remove the battery tray which has all kinds of stuff attached to it. It , also, has about 9 bolts holding it to the truck, some of which required me to remove the fenderwell. At any rate, I got it all back together & had no parts left-over & the truck runs fine.

Joe F.(Buffalo)