3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Jr Or Sr?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty Jr Or Sr?

Does The Jr Have Some Of The Same Sw's As The Sr But It's Cheaper?
Which One Offers Better Mpg And On What Sw?
Does Either Increase Rail Pressure During Acceleration?(not Max)

Basically I'm Wondering Which One Yields Better Mpg, Lower Egt's And Is safe While Towing Heavy Alot.i Don't Want One That Raises Rp While Cruising, But Advances Timing But Not Too Much Due To Towing Heavy.i Don't Care About High Hp Or Black Smoke Just safe , Clean Power That Raises My Bottom Line.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:00 PM

Thumbs up

I don't have a SR but from what I have read the settings on the JR are the 1, 3, and 5 settings on the SR. I just got my JR a week ago from DTR store and am really liking it. I went staight to the 100 HP tune though so I still haven't tried the others. Great all around power with not to much smoke. I don't think any of them add pressure. Also I think all will provide better milage if you can keep your foot out of it.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Banned

So Basically It's A Knock Off Of The Sr, Not Tunes That Suit A Different Market.i Thought It Would Be Sw's Designed To Get Better Mpg And Offer Lower Egt's, Plus Be Safe On Your Truck.does Any One Know If It's Designed For Towing Or Should I Go With The Sr On Lower Settings?
Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by #2 only
Does The Jr Have Some Of The Same Sw's As The Sr But It's Cheaper?
Which One Offers Better Mpg And On What Sw?
Does Either Increase Rail Pressure During Acceleration?(not Max)

Basically I'm Wondering Which One Yields Better Mpg, Lower Egt's And Is safe While Towing Heavy Alot.i Don't Want One That Raises Rp While Cruising, But Advances Timing But Not Too Much Due To Towing Heavy.i Don't Care About High Hp Or Black Smoke Just safe , Clean Power That Raises My Bottom Line.
Based on this post, I would steer you toward the JR. What sw gives best mpg may be dependent on YOUR truck. All trucks seem to react differently to same programming. sw1 is supposed to be best mileage; you may find sw3 to give best mileage on your truck, for example. You have to experiment to find out.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:09 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Forgot one thing, sw2 on the JR is the "designed" towing level. That doesn't mean, however, that you can't tow on the other 2 levels, you have to try to see what works best for you. Fill out your sig so we can see what you have to help you better. If you are towing heavy, you should already have gauges. If you don't, get them now so you can see what you are doing and not over temp something while towing, smarty Jr or stock.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Banned

Ok. I Was Hoping Someone Knew Or Has 1st Hand Even Though Each Truck Is Different.i Tow Heavy And Can Handle The 3rd Settingif It Offers The Best Mpg.if The Jr Is The Same As The Sr Settings, Then I'll Get The Sr.i Don't Care About High Hp Or Smoke,just Better Mpg Than What I Got,if Smarty Can Do It.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Banned

Bump , Anyone Know?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're not worried about high hp, go for the JR. Yes, the programs are similar to the lower #s of the SR, but they have been refined (both JR and SR) to allow lower egts, minimal smoke, and better mpgs. I tow with my SR on sw5, which would be the high setting on the JR, but I run sw#7 when just driving. You have to decide for yourself mainly if you want a more powerful setting than 100hp. If you do, then go for the SR.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Banned

Thanks Rip-

Which One Offers Better Mpg? Jr Or Sr?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:22 PM

I know the smart jr is brand spanking new, but has anyone tried stacking it with anything yet, particularly the edge juice. If it is the same programing as the sr I imagine that it isn't much different. I was looking to stack with the diablo predator but if the JR plays well I might be interested.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:26 PM

You can always sell the Smarty Jr. and run it. And in the future, if you get the Bombing bug, you can sell the Jr and get a Sr. Resale on the Jr. would probably be pretty dang good (80% or more of what you paid - guessing?). I was in the market for a used Sr, and they were selling for 80-90% of what they cost new.

I had the Superchips (selling on ebay now) and a Diablo. SC resale is usually a tad over 60% what they cost new, and Diablo is less than that.

After having both, I can't believe how much cooler the truck runs with the Smarty.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

and you tried em all
Old 12-12-2007, 02:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by #2 only
Thanks Rip-

Which One Offers Better Mpg? Jr Or Sr?
I would say they are the same as far as mpgs go, but the potential is better for the jr because it doesn't have the high levels that could kill mpgs (with a heavy foot). However, I have seen 20+ mpg so far on the newly refined SR sw 7. It just depends on if you want more than 100hp or not, other than that they are basically the same.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:44 PM

The jr appears to be the 1,3,5 program options the senior has on the "stock program". I like the senior because it offers boost fooling that I do not believe you can get on the jr. Correct me if I am wrong. With boost fooling you can get lower egt and more power. Go to the MADS web site and look at the downloads for the senior and then look at the jr.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:57 PM

I emailed mads directly and it does have boost fooling built in, the junior is for guys that want safe reliable power. On another thread on guy said he towed on the performance setting(not sure on weight) his egt hit around 1100* so if thats not good Iam stumped. On the mads web site the claim 200* drop in egt over stock again not sure on level the are talking about .

Quick Reply: Smarty Jr Or Sr?