3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

looking for pics of egt probe install

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for pics of egt probe install

i'm at the point of installing the egt probe.(autometer) i was wonding if anybody had any pictures of how there install turned out. also can you tap the cast iron exhuast manifold? or are we suppose to just use a clamp to hold the egt probe in the manifold? what is the best way to drill the hole? any help would be great, thanks.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:14 AM

I bought my gauges from geno's garage and they came with some good instructions on how to drill and tap without getting too many metal shavings in there. Put some grease on the drill so the shavings will stick and take your time. On tapping put grease on there too and for every half a turn on the tap cutting the thread back it out a half a turn until you hear the chips snapping off. Back it out all the way and clean the chips off after a couple of turns putting some more grease on afterwards. You can use a small magnet to probe down there afterwards and get any stray shavings that mightve gotten in there. The exhaust will blow out what you cant get no problems. Do some searching in the forums on gauge installs too btw. I'll pm a link to another forum with a tech writeup on it.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:47 AM
Banned

Here is a pic of the pre and post turbo taps.. If you are going to tap post turbo you can pull the inner wheel well and the tire and it will take about 10 minutes tops!!! If you tap pre-turbo (highly recommended) you can tap in many places. On my 05 I just greased the bit and drilled slowly.. I just tapped one of my exhaust pyro's on my 06.. I was going to tap it pre-turbo but I couldn't get the turbo loose so I could drop it enough to get a peice of cardboard in between the turbo and exhaust manifold so I wouldn't get metal shavings in the turbo. If you have more??? Just ask or Pm me..

Shane
Old 03-18-2007, 05:45 AM

I used a 90 degree angle drill and did the grease trick. Worked fine.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah, I just did the top of the manifold, too. Some folks prefer to tap the downward run, but this was easier to get to, and any shavings that did fall in would be in the manifold runner where you could get them with a magnet...

Old 03-18-2007, 07:19 AM

Old 03-18-2007, 09:13 AM

hey everybody, thanks for the help. i now feel more confident with this install.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just did mine a couple days ago... I drilled a 1/8" hole with the engine idling, the shavings from an 1/8" bit are so miniscule they wouldn't hurt the turbo while it's running, and they all blew back in my face anyway. Then I went at it with a 21/64" drill with grease and the engine running. I went slow and the chips all blow right out of the hole. I also tapped it with the engine running. It's really easy, and I am really picky and fussy and paranoid nervous, so if I can do it, anyone can!!

Now, someone PLEASE tell me which wire to hook my Commander to on the fuel rail sensor!!! LOL

Last edited by Lost Lake; 03-18-2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Misspelling