3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking at getting a smarty Programmer.. which one??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at getting a smarty Programmer.. which one??

I just bought a 2007 Dodge 2500 5.9L 4X4 Mega cab 2 weeks ago and I LOVE IT!! This is my first diesel truck. So I am really new to all of this. I am already looking at doing some mods to the truck. I am wanting to get a tuner, Cold Air system and exhaust.

I am looking at a S&B cold air system and a Mbrp or Flowmaster exhaust.

The problem I am having is trying to figure out which programmer to go with. I want to get a Edge CTS to use with a smarty for the gauges. I know someone selling a Smarty ssr programmer for cheap. But I am concerned that SSR has to many programing options and I might be getting over my head at this time. I don't want to mess up the engine. I do want a programmer that has the POD functionality. My other option was the Smarty S-06. I like the pre programmed modes on S-06. But I also like having the capabilities of growing in the future if I want to do more mods later on down the road.. How user friendly is the Smarty SSR for someone that is brand new to this?

Please help!!!

Thank You

Paul
Old 07-21-2013, 05:38 AM

Sounds like you should go with the S06.. Does not sound like you would need SSR. I would recommend adding the UDC software option if you are PC savy as it allows even more to how you can make your truck drive like you want.

There are a few people out there that can provide a UDC Tune for a fee and would give you a good starting tune. If you are looking to do this on your own. Start with S06 and if you search around on this site and CD site for UDC you will find many threads regarding UDC and Smarty tuning recommendations for your truck.

The S06 you could start using the day it arrives by just following instructions for the device.

Good Luck with your truck.

Last edited by JP-4.5; 07-21-2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 07-21-2013, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Exhaust modifications, be sure to read a lot of blogs because many mufflers cause drone in the cab. I initially installed a Magaflow, but had to remove it because of drone. Many have used Donaldson's or Nelson's, which are very reasonable. I currently have a Nelson 86131M.
John
Old 07-27-2013, 11:30 AM

exhaust and tuner

I just removed my stock muffler and resonator (back by the rear axle) and added an Aeroturbine 4040xl muffler in its place. Pulling the camper from Billings to Bismarck, the drone bounced off of the front of the camper and gave me a headache. We had a curved tip installed to send some of the noise down instead of straight out, and it helped. Your stock piping is 4" right off of the turbo. Opinions here is that you don't need any bigger that that until 500+ hp. For the intake, I used the PSM setup which puts a hole in the bottom of your stock air box, adds a hose to that hole that goes straight down inside the fender liner, and replaced the baffle from the air box to the turbo. Like you, I am trying to decide on which Smarty to go with. I guess just roll the dice on that. Good luck with your mods!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
The newest Smarty tunes are cleaner and smoother than ever,but I'd research the EFI products. Anarchy diesel is but one of many contacts.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:47 PM

You weren't quite clear but it looked like you might have said you have gauges. If you don't, I would hold on the programmer and get them first. I initially got EGT, boost and tranny temp, but once I got an Airdog I should have also installed the fuel and rail pressure (have them now). You will want to know what's going on in your engine while you're playing around with your programmer. The "seat of the pants" feeling isn't scientific and you could damage something without the proper feedback.

Other than that, I would suggest an MBRP exhaust. My truck came with a Magnaflow and it was way too subdued. I put the MBRP on it and it woke right up. Didn't notice much of a performance change but the sound was much better without any drone.

As far as intake, I'm just running a *****'s Whistler (search for it) and can't speak for anything else.

Have fun and good luck!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Chapter President

I have a Mega cab as well. If you want exhaust, take off everything BUT your resonator and you'll be fine and sound great, even towing (no drone) Don't waste your money on aftermarket. As for your intake, The Home Depot mod (do a search) with 4" pleated factory filter is the best cold air filter for what you want, and the cheapest. If you want sound then a *****'s whistler or Bill's Custom Intake are probably the loudest and cheapest, but they are LOUD when towing. For tuners either a Smarty S06 or EFI live will get you all the power you could ask for without spending a ton of money on supporting mods. Be careful though, both of those are going to kill your tranny in short time on the higher settings. A Smarty Jr. gives you a real nice bump in power (up too roughly 100HP) and is relatively safe as long as you don't floor it on Level 3 all the time. First and foremost get some gauges so you know what's going on with everything.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:40 PM

Call Kory Willis get EFI Live at least you wont have to sell the smarty later you will have what you need now.Same price for the auto cal or cheaper than the smarty.Dont do this
Old 08-12-2013, 11:34 PM

I got a S&B intake and put a Aeroturbine on. It has a slightly deeper sound that is not over powering. The Aerotubine did lower the EGT's just a little but every bit helps. I put an intake horn going into the intake from Pusher Intakes and love it. Seamed like the turbo spooled up a little faster. Also nice because it came with ports for boost gauge. Only running a Super Chips programmer. Looking to upgrade to a Smarty Jr my self. Got a Westach dual sweep gauge for EGT and boost. The truck is not a hot shot runner but she does knuckle down and get the job done. Just go easy with your mods and get some gauges before you do to much so you can keep an eye on things. Have fun and enjoy.