3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lift pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift pump questions

OK. I asked this over on Cummins Forum and got no answers. So ill ask it here. Ok so my lift pump went out. I DONT HAVE THE MONEY FOR A FASS! So im going to get a Holley Blue from a friend. Now, I have a few questions on the setup of this pump. I want to just bypass the stock filter canister and pump completely, can I just cut the banjo end off of the line that goes from the Injector pump to the bottom of the canister and flare it with a fitting on there? I have a Fleetguard 10 micron fuel/water separator and 2 micron filter with filter blocks that Im going to use. Now for a return, I just tee off the line after the pump and run it back to the factory return? What about the wiring? Im not so good with electrical. Can I just hook the red up to ignition and black to ground? I dont understand how a relay works so I may need one but dont know how to set it up. I dont have the money for -AN fittings and lines so are barbed fittings and hose clamps ok?
Old 01-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you are describing will basically work, but a few things:

What are you returning or talking about tee-ing off the return?

Will your Holley pull through the stock feed? I.E. is it a "pre-free-flow" in-tank lift pump?

I don't like the Holleys for a full time LP in this application, but some have had good results, others not so. You definitely need to relay the pump from a switched 12v source. It's a low pressure circuit, so barbed fittings will be OK.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:32 PM

The extra fuel return line. Dont I need one?? The stock lift pump will be removed from the equation all together. It is currently mounted to the fuel filter canister and pulls fuel from the tank up to the firewall. What other pumps would you suggest? I dont like the Walbro cause I dont think it flows enough. What other choices are there? I dont know how to setup a relay or how it works. Can you explain more about this?
Old 01-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a good write-up on how relays work:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

I guess I don't understand where the "extra" return line is. Is it something from those filters you mention? You can always run the Holley and see how it goes while you save up for a better pump. I just don't think it wil flow enough to support much more than stock fueling, and reliabiilty is an issue with those.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:56 PM

Ok so I dont need a return line?? I get the relay now. Its an electronic switch that uses the factory lift pump power wire as a signal wire for a whole new circuit off the battery! I think the Holly will be ok for my needs. I dont have the money for a FASS or AirDog and just can see spending that kinda money for a fuel pump.