3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

less boost with smarty vs predator ??? not sure why..

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soulezoo
While I like to stay away from blanket statements, this is a true statement to a degree.

While as a general measure within different levels of a given programmer or module, the more boost usually means more HP, it is not necessarily true when comparing power output of different modules or programmers.

It seems counterintuitive, but it is true. I found on my last dyno session while getting my baseline numbers that as I turned up the TST from level to level (using only TST with stock ECM programming) that boost did go up in relationship with power all the way to 80-83 psi of boost (on lvls 7/3-9/3) but this netted only high 600s. Turn off the TST completely, load Smarty TNT/R sw4 and a funny thing happened. Egts went down 200*, smoke went down, boost went down to about 68-70 psi but power went up to about 740.

On my 900hp run, I got 74lbs of boost.... so about 220 more HP with 6-9 psi less boost... go figure. I can't explain how or why, but the numbers don't lie.

Bottom line is, to know for sure, take it to the track or dyno and get some hard numbers to compare. You do have to do some tuning.
But what you are not thinking is that for the same boost you would have made even more power with the same timing.

Boost = Power and within a certain range more timing = power.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could it be.. just be.. that the predator is making more power? I know it's hard to fathom, but maybe so?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The wastegate off is the boost fooling function. On = no boost fooling the way I understand it.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spooler
The wastegate off is the boost fooling function. On = no boost fooling the way I understand it.
that would make sense. does anyone else know if this is true?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:43 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CamperAndy
But what you are not thinking is that for the same boost you would have made even more power with the same timing.

Boost = Power and within a certain range more timing = power.
Sorry Andy, but speaking only to my experience that I referred to above, timing was exactly the same for all dyno pulls regardless of the tuner used. I am already on the cusp with as much timing as I can run without "popping".

So, my comparison is as "apples to apples" as could have been under the circumstances.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:16 AM

Everyone forgets turbo efficentcy, boost does not = more power if you travel outside the efficentcy range of the turbo. If a turbo is makeing 300* air at 35psi and 400* air at 43psi the power level will be roughly the same. It's why a bigger turbo will make more power at the same level of boost, just with more lag. Turbos are a balance of power and lag.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by mattyfz450
I have had my predator on my truck for a while now and could see 40psi at wot, but i just borrowed a buddys smarty pod to see if i wanted to spend the extra money on one, and at wot i only see about 34-35 peak and then it will drop back down to about 30? I am running the basic level 7 (not tnt) with all the defalt settings. It seems to me that the waste gate is opening and not letting me build full boost. Any ideas ? what settings should i change? i dont know if i should turn the wg off or not. and if this has been posted before please just point me in the right direction. thanks
On my truck with a (stock turbo, sticks, cp3)....smarty no matter the settings with a boost fooler i can only get 37lbs at w.o.t and it comes down to about 33-35lbs, i have played with the wastegate settings on/off with or without boost fooler and acheive the same results.

With my bully dog pmt i can hit 42-43lbs and i comes down to around 37-38lbs.......the dyno showed no difference in boost lvls but egts were lower with the BD (about 100 degrees) and BD had about 5 more hp and smarty had about 5 more ftlbs of torque.....Conversly edge juice with "Hot" boost readings were 30-33 peak and got HOT QUICK i dont know dyno results but I know it was hot.......I have no experience with Predator just giving my experience

These reading were taken off an mechanical boost gauge (dipricol optix) on an '07 truck.....Just my experience, hope this helps someone