3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

less boost with smarty vs predator ??? not sure why..

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
less boost with smarty vs predator ??? not sure why..

I have had my predator on my truck for a while now and could see 40psi at wot, but i just borrowed a buddys smarty pod to see if i wanted to spend the extra money on one, and at wot i only see about 34-35 peak and then it will drop back down to about 30? I am running the basic level 7 (not tnt) with all the defalt settings. It seems to me that the waste gate is opening and not letting me build full boost. Any ideas ? what settings should i change? i dont know if i should turn the wg off or not. and if this has been posted before please just point me in the right direction. thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
What gauge are you reading this off of? Does the pred have it's own gauges? The smarty boost fools, if the pred is reading it from the ecm, you are seeing a fooled number.

If you have a mechanical gauge, I can't help you on this one...
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, set the WG for off that is the boost fooling. Also, the more timing the less boost you will see.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:41 PM

Mine wont go over 38 and settles at 35psi. Everyone says its because I am on stock fueling but it seems lots of people using smarty see the same thing.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:38 AM

Boost also does not equal HP
Old 09-22-2009, 04:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thekidfan
Well without you make very little horsepower on these engines. Try to elaborate on your insightful post.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Banned

I am using a mechanical guage, and i just used the smarty to turn off the waste gate and now it will hit 39-40 like it used to with the predator. but will i damage anything with the WG off?? why is the smarty only letting it build boost to 35psi or so when the wastegate is on? Shouldnt it allow more? thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 PM

Um...timing affects boost big time. So...Smarty is giving you more timing and power and it is not showing on the boost gauge.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
Um...timing affects boost big time. So...Smarty is giving you more timing and power and it is not showing on the boost gauge.
so should i not worry about the low boost or should i run the wg off? and should i add any pressure?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:05 PM

Do you have a rail gauge?

OEM turbo?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
Do you have a rail gauge?

OEM turbo?
stock turbo and i dont have a rail gauge yet but would like to get one soon
Old 09-22-2009, 01:18 PM

I would not spin a stock turbo harder than 40ish...

I would not add more than RP2 on the Smarty (assuming it is used alone and is not stacked with the Predator) flying blind without a railo gauge.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:19 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by thekidfan
While I like to stay away from blanket statements, this is a true statement to a degree.

While as a general measure within different levels of a given programmer or module, the more boost usually means more HP, it is not necessarily true when comparing power output of different modules or programmers.

It seems counterintuitive, but it is true. I found on my last dyno session while getting my baseline numbers that as I turned up the TST from level to level (using only TST with stock ECM programming) that boost did go up in relationship with power all the way to 80-83 psi of boost (on lvls 7/3-9/3) but this netted only high 600s. Turn off the TST completely, load Smarty TNT/R sw4 and a funny thing happened. Egts went down 200*, smoke went down, boost went down to about 68-70 psi but power went up to about 740.

On my 900hp run, I got 74lbs of boost.... so about 220 more HP with 6-9 psi less boost... go figure. I can't explain how or why, but the numbers don't lie.

Bottom line is, to know for sure, take it to the track or dyno and get some hard numbers to compare. You do have to do some tuning.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by soulezoo
While I like to stay away from blanket statements, this is a true statement to a degree.

While as a general measure within different levels of a given programmer or module, the more boost usually means more HP, it is not necessarily true when comparing power output of different modules or programmers.

It seems counterintuitive, but it is true. I found on my last dyno session while getting my baseline numbers that as I turned up the TST from level to level (using only TST with stock ECM programming) that boost did go up in relationship with power all the way to 80-83 psi of boost (on lvls 7/3-9/3) but this netted only high 600s. Turn off the TST completely, load Smarty TNT/R sw4 and a funny thing happened. Egts went down 200*, smoke went down, boost went down to about 68-70 psi but power went up to about 740.

On my 900hp run, I got 74lbs of boost.... so about 220 more HP with 6-9 psi less boost... go figure. I can't explain how or why, but the numbers don't lie.

Bottom line is, to know for sure, take it to the track or dyno and get some hard numbers to compare. You do have to do some tuning.
wow thanks for all the info. i really appreciate it. and i do need to get on the dyno and try some different tunes and setups
Old 09-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by soulezoo

one more question. i understand that timing causes less boost and that more boost isnt always more power but if timing is causing it to build less boost than why does it build full boost when the wastegate is off? wouldnt that mean that the wastegate is causing it to build less boost and not the timing? so why would the smarty programming be set to allow the wastegate to open that early? thanks

Quick Reply: less boost with smarty vs predator ??? not sure why..