3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Juice boost elbow and boost monitoring question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Juice boost elbow and boost monitoring question

Okay - I'm officially confused. I have tried to search for the answers but I'm still not getting it.

I have a 2004 305/555 Cummins, put the Edge Juice with Attitude monitor on it. The installation instructions state the boost elbow install is optional and the module will operate equally well with or without it installed. So what's the point of using it or not using it?

The instructions say the elbow permits turbo boost pressures of greater than 20 psi without the wastegate opening. So what's this mean in layman's terms? What is the advantage of using the elbow? How do I know if the wastegate is opening? I put it on today, btw. The one I took off was also a brass elbow, but I have no clue if it is stock?

The other question I have - how does the Juice with Attitude measure boost? I have read through the installation instructions too many times to count and I've not seen any connections specific for measuring the boost. I also have a BD-X monitor on this truck which measures the boost and pyro. The boost is measured from the intake manifold. The Attitude is showing a boost reading, but it's 3 - 4 psi higher than the BD-X monitor?

Thanks.
JB
Old 07-19-2006, 01:15 PM

Still searching for answers...
Old 07-19-2006, 02:18 PM

I made time to call Edge directly with the questions, so I will supply what they told me for others that may have been wondering.

Per Edge, the boost elbow allows the turbo to spool up a little quicker and provides 'about' 4 pounds more boost verses leaving the stock elbow on there. This allows the turbo to be more efficient, which equates to less black smoke. Personally, I still get about the same amount of smoke, which was minimal to begin with (even on 5/5).

The Juice with attitude gets the boost measurement directly from the MAP sensor, so whatever the truck thinks it is seeing is what the Attitude monitor displays.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:36 PM

feeling unloved there justin, cant wait to go for a ride with your new setup

by the way i drove the 3500 with the new exhaust today and i love the sound

aem arrived via ups this afternoon so my turbo should be singing soon

shane
Old 07-20-2006, 12:11 AM

I also have an 04, 555 with the Hot Juice. At first I installed the Edge Boost elbow, however, after checking the "Drive Pressure" of the turbo, I found that the Drive Pressure was extremely high causing more heat. I removed the Edge Elbow and put the stock elbow back in. Drive pressures went down as well as EGT's.

From my experience, I would leave the stock elbow in. Especially if you have the stock turbo. JMO and experience.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:50 AM

Shane - never gettin' the love, man... I am hoping for Tuesday lunch, I think the little one has a doctor's appointment on Monday.

Big Bob:
That is good information to have, thanks. I will keep an eye on my numbers and compare them to when the stock elbow was in there. What do you classify as 'extremely high' as a typical drive pressure? Were you taking those readings from a seperate gauge or from the Attitude monitor? As mentioned, I have the BD-X monitor that measures boost from one of the plenums on the intake manifold. The Attitude monitor was reading 3 - 4 psi higher than the BD-X. Which one to trust I wonder.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by RockcrawlingTJ
Shane - never gettin' the love, man... I am hoping for Tuesday lunch, I think the little one has a doctor's appointment on Monday.

Big Bob:
That is good information to have, thanks. I will keep an eye on my numbers and compare them to when the stock elbow was in there. What do you classify as 'extremely high' as a typical drive pressure? Were you taking those readings from a seperate gauge or from the Attitude monitor? As mentioned, I have the BD-X monitor that measures boost from one of the plenums on the intake manifold. The Attitude monitor was reading 3 - 4 psi higher than the BD-X. Which one to trust I wonder.
Drive Pressure is the exhaust pressure. You have to either pull your EGT probe (if it's in the exhaust manifold) or tap another hole to install a boost gauge on the exhaust manifold. This pressure needs to be taken before the turbo. Ideally, you want a 1 to 1 ratio, in other words, if you have 40#'s of boost, you want to have 40#'s of exhaust pressure.

With the Edge boost elbow, mine was like 65 to 70#'s of drive pressure compared to 40#'s of boost. By going back to the stock elbow, my drive pressure went down to 52, which was better but not perfect. My only other choice then was to hog out the wastegate in the exhaust side of the turbo for about $200 to 300. I chose to leave it.