3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Interesting note about Smarty and "undetecability"

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subspd
Interesting...
(I also will watch this thread)
Can't have the warranty voided...
Thats easy, don't bomb it

DC is guaranteeing what they built and sold ............ not what you modified.

Trying to hide a bomb after problems arise is just short of thievery

DC has the right to look for infractions and void warranties as such, especially given the past history of bombing the Cummins engine.

I don't know of anybody that is willing to guarantee somebody elses work, do you?

I think the constructive way to approach this is to have the aftermarket parts dealers assume all remaining warranty
Old 12-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JHardwick

DC has the right to look for infractions and void warranties as such, especially given the past history of bombing the Cummins engine.
I agree JHardwick.
I learned the hard way with my 03. I'm not against anyone bombing their under warranty Ram. It must be nice for one to be able to risk his money on false hopes and better than life claims. I dont mean to insult anyone. It's just that when something goes wrong, chances are that your warranty will be voided. A Cummins warranty can be worth a pile of $...only if you need to use it. Chances are that most of us will never be put in that position. That said, do some of you have that sick feeling in your stomach right about now? Not me I'll wait another 60000 miles. I learned my lesson.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:31 PM

I also think that any programmer you put on your truck is detectable, including the smarty. Anyone bying into the hype of "undetectable" with these programmers will get a rude awakening. Alls I can say is good luck with your warranty.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Banned

I fully agree about Mod at your own risk...the issue here is the Smarty is advertized as "undetectable by the dealer"
Old 12-11-2006, 07:35 AM

well, technically, so far the SMARTY is undetectable, they will not say, you have a downloader on this truck, they will say, "hmm, that is odd, you have this code, and the freeze frame shows this and that.., so you say you have done nothing to this truck??"
Old 12-11-2006, 07:41 AM

good post

I don't know of anybody that is willing to guarantee somebody elses work, do you?

I think the constructive way to approach this is to have the aftermarket parts dealers assume all remaining warranty
------------------------------------
Some excellent points there.........and I totally agree. Bottom line, once you modify, you assume the warranty for the item(s) that were modified beyond stock and related item(s)., period. If you aren't comfortable with this, then leave the truck alone. You see my decision and I believe there is NO substitute for a downloader. Single best power adder. Yes, I speak from experience here. My parts bill would make many on here think twice. I recommend having fun, but be prepared and have a plan when something breaks.

Since these trucks are so commonly modified, perhaps one could be purchased discounted without warranty and another supplemental warranty could be purchased which was provided by DC working with the power adder manufacturers.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:10 AM

i honestly couldnt agree more. but when this thing is advertised as undetectable, it should be. i also hadnt planned on using the truck to race or bomb, it i simply want better mileage. right now i get about 12mpg average 50% freeway 50% city.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:18 AM

User name,
That " Thing " has a name it's spelled Smarty. It is advertised as not detectable and it is NOT detectable.

Granted, step number one, take the ECM back to stock SW before you pay a visit to a dealer. I think it's clear for which reason you NEED to have a stock SW in the ECM...

Now let's analyze the FACTS.

The code P0602 is a code that IS set by Smarty ( Luken your sarcasm is pointless ) when a CaTCHER software is loaded in the ECM. That code does no harm to anything, does not defuel, does nothing other than being there.

For those of you who do not know what a "Freeze Frame" is... A Freeze Frame records several engine parameters when any code is set. A freeze Frame takes a "pic" of the operating conditions of the engine when that particular code was set. First of all you need a code, then you get also a freeze frame from the ECM. That means no codes, no freeze frame. Anytime a code is cleared also the freeze frame is cleared...

With a STOCK software the code P0602 is NOT set. Thus a dealer will never see it. More to the point of this thread... No P0602 Code, no freeze frame for the code.

That alone tells me already that there is no freeze frame to read for the dealer.

Anyway, to make 1000% sure that what I'm saying is correct I've just checked the "freeze frame" thing on a 03 an 04.5 and an 06 truck. ( With the DRB and StarScan )

I've gone so far to set several codes in the ECM(s) with the CaTCHER SW installed. I did NOT erase the codes or FF. I returned the ECM(s) back to stock. Voilà, no codes, no FF are left in the ECM.

NONE of them shows any code or freeze frame once Smarty returns the ECM back to stock. Period.

Result, Smarty can not be detected via codes, freeze frames, key counts, wrong key's, trip data or whatever the Chrysler tools can read.

I could go into great technical detail to back up those facts but that is our proprietary stuff. No way I will ever unveil how we're doing our thing.
You don't expect me to, right?

If you don't trust my words, well... use a DRB or StarScan and see it on your own.

Marco
Old 12-11-2006, 10:48 AM

Marco thanks for checking in on this...we knew you would. No one is asking you to give away proprietary info, just seeking clarification on things. I understand you'e set codes and gone back to check with the drb, and star scan, How did the event in the first post of this thread happen? That is:

Originally Posted by White97GTVert
Now.. You can clear the code NO PROBLEM whatsoever. However, here is the interesting thing I just noticed.

When I hook up my Actron 9150 Scantool to the truck and flip thru the ECM Freeze Frames it comes up, shows the code that caused the freeze frame, and the operating parameters at the time when the code was set. Even though the code is cleared.

How can we get the freeze frame data to go away. Anybody with a scantool can go in and pull a freeze frame data and see that the code was set. I am reasonably certain a dealer COULD use that to try and prove a programmer had been used.
Is this some sort of anomoly or did he not have the code cleared properly to begin with?

Thanks.

Brian
Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marco
User name,
That " Thing " has a name it's spelled Smarty. It is advertised as not detectable and it is NOT detectable.

Granted, step number one, take the ECM back to stock SW before you pay a visit to a dealer. I think it's clear for which reason you NEED to have a stock SW in the ECM...

Now let's analyze the FACTS.

The code P0602 is a code that IS set by Smarty ( Luken your sarcasm is pointless ) when a CaTCHER software is loaded in the ECM. That code does no harm to anything, does not defuel, does nothing other than being there.

For those of you who do not know what a "Freeze Frame" is... A Freeze Frame records several engine parameters when any code is set. A freeze Frame takes a "pic" of the operating conditions of the engine when that particular code was set. First of all you need a code, then you get also a freeze frame from the ECM. That means no codes, no freeze frame. Anytime a code is cleared also the freeze frame is cleared...

With a STOCK software the code P0602 is NOT set. Thus a dealer will never see it. More to the point of this thread... No P0602 Code, no freeze frame for the code.

That alone tells me already that there is no freeze frame to read for the dealer.

Anyway, to make 1000% sure that what I'm saying is correct I've just checked the "freeze frame" thing on a 03 an 04.5 and an 06 truck. ( With the DRB and StarScan )

I've gone so far to set several codes in the ECM(s) with the CaTCHER SW installed. I did NOT erase the codes or FF. I returned the ECM(s) back to stock. Voilà, no codes, no FF are left in the ECM.

NONE of them shows any code or freeze frame once Smarty returns the ECM back to stock. Period.

Result, Smarty can not be detected via codes, freeze frames, key counts, wrong key's, trip data or whatever the Chrysler tools can read.

I could go into great technical detail to back up those facts but that is our proprietary stuff. No way I will ever unveil how we're doing our thing.
You don't expect me to, right?

If you don't trust my words, well... use a DRB or StarScan and see it on your own.

Marco

Originally Posted by White97GTVert
When I pulled the freeze frame out it was after reloading the stock program. I was reloading the stock so I could update the smarty. I know its not required but I guess I feel better returning the truck to stock when I do the smarty update.

So the answer is yes.

Hmmmmm......seems to be a direct conflict between EXPECTED and ACTUAL behaviour on a truck by truck basis.

Logic dictates the "all DL's leave a detectable trace" may be a lot truer than we know.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:47 AM

User name,
That " Thing " has a name it's spelled Smarty.
Marco

Where did User name call it a "thing"?????
Old 12-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by User Name:
i honestly couldnt agree more. but when this thing is advertised as undetectable, it should be. i also hadnt planned on using the truck to race or bomb, it i simply want better mileage. right now i get about 12mpg average 50% freeway 50% city.
2nd sentence, 4th word.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:52 AM

Marco
I see what you are saying however I returned my truck to stock and hooked up my scantool and while there is NO CODE SET IN THE TRUCK (cleared first with smarty) I still have a freeze-frame data in the ECM.

Now, This is NOT a huge deal if there is a way to clear the freeze frame data. However I want to re-iterate that it does on occasion (1/5) set the P0602 when returning to stock. I have seen it. I have verified it. Maybe my truck is unique as we all know they can be.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
2nd sentence, 4th word.
Big deal.... LOL

I consider my truck a "thing" but actually it is a Dodge Ram 2500...
Old 12-11-2006, 12:00 PM

( Luken your sarcasm is pointless )
Marco
It actually wasn't sarcasm... But whatever you want to think!

I could've been sarcastic but I didn't.

Quick Reply: Interesting note about Smarty and "undetecability"