3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Interesting note about Smarty and "undetecability"

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerry
Guess I won't be buying a downloader... boxes only!!
Are you thinking that a box removed prior to taking it in to the dealer means they won't know it was there?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:44 AM

Dont think there's a resolution as of yet....some say removing the codes removes freeze frames, some don't??? Maybe a programming issue, maybe not.....enjoy the box! My $'s are on Marco.....
Old 12-19-2006, 12:52 AM

Downloaders may be good.. But I just want to know that I can put my truck back EXACTLY the way it was before I started playing... "IF" a downloader can't put the same program in that was there before I want to know.. I don't want Just whatever was available at the time loaded back into my truck.. Look at all the problems with the early BDDL and Argentina/south America programs...

Boxes don't mess with the ECM's Program.. they just modify the output..

From what I have seen here I would trust Marco.. But I would have to know that return to stock is return to the stock I had...

Gerry
Old 12-19-2006, 12:58 AM

Then i'd wait a few more days and see what transpires....Marco's obviously a good programmer....if there is truely an issue and other tools can erase both the codes and the freeze frames, then it's more than probable the issue can be addressed. If you're worried about having a different software rev (vs. what dodge has on record)...don't update your smarty....or get the new dodge software first and then get the corresponding new smarty version to keep them in sync.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:26 AM

"Q. Which version of "stock" will the Smarty come with.
Smarty does NOT download the complete original software from the ECM and does not store it into it's memory. That is for a simple reason. The protocol in the ECM does not allow to read the flash memory.

How can Smarty then return to stock? Simple he has all the latest stock softwares already on board. When you choose to return the truck back to stock, Smarty takes the stock software from it's memory and updates the ECM with that software." -- from MADS Electronics

Obviously the key click data and hours run are not changed.

I have changed mine 4 times now.

I LOVE this thing!

Edited to limit confusion
Old 12-19-2006, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by JohnInNH
I would think... When you go to D/L the Smarty SW it takes the existing SW data in the ECU and stores it in the smarty memory (up loads it)...

Then D/Ls the Smarty level you want... When you return to "stock" it takes the version/data you*had* in your ECU and replaces it just like it found it.

That's how I would do it. I could be wrong.... I don't know if it's a complete re write or if he just alters some of the parameters that run the motor. Obviously the key click data and hours run are not changed.

I look forward to hearing the real answer. I'm sure he knows what he is doing. I have changed mine 4 times now.

I LOVE this thing!
I'm 99% certain the above isnt the case (based upon previous Marco Bob W threads). The smarty has the Stock Dodge Software Loaded (version depends upon which download you have in smarty)...and that regardless of what was in your ECM, it puts the version of stock thats in the smarty back on. This is why some people couldnt put their smarty back on their truck after the latest 06 ECM Flash from Dodge....smarty didnt have the new version available (for a day or two)....and was smart enough not to load the old version on top of the new dodge software....
Old 12-19-2006, 11:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hummmm wonder if we will find out... Maybe the silence means it is detectable if you don'thave the same program ???

I have been without power and cable since last Thursday there is no avoding any issue.

my toll free number is 888 225 7637

T
Old 12-20-2006, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, y'all just got hammered up there Bob, thousands and thousands of folks w/o utilities for a while now up there!
Old 12-20-2006, 12:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every thing you do to these trucks is a risk.
How you deal with that risk is what seperates the men from the boys.

I am sure that Marco is looking into thsi situation and will try to find a fix.
At the end of the day it may not be able to be fixed.
What does this mean to 97% of the SMARTY buyers, nothing. To the 2% that may have this problem nothing either, to the 1% that have this code and a freeze frame, and a engine failure and have to go to the dealership to have it diagnosed. Hopefully you have the money in hand to fix the engine.

The reality of modding your truck, with any after market part is a risk. The risk should be mitigated by carefull research into the product, how it performs and any known problems with it. From what I can tell SMARTY has had very few problems with the product. Most have been addressed and been updated.
Compared to any of the other after market programmers I think I can say with confidence that all are eqaul in the failure/ problems compared to units sold.
The one thing that seperates SMARTY from the rest is how they deal with the problems/Issues. So far so good.
After re reading the whole article and what has been said. It would seem that some of us were attacking Marco. I doubt that was the intent of the posters.Again the internet is hard to articulate what you want to say. You have my apology if I offended you or others.

back to the issue at hand, I am curious as to if this was a known situation, how was it dealt with, and how is going to be dealt with.
I would be curious as to the outcome of the freeze frame data, and if it canbe eraused on all trucks, or if some are exhibiting the situation of it remaining stored after the reload. If their their is a way for the customer to know with out having to buy a scanner to look.

Cheers
Old 12-20-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 03 ant a hemi
Every thing you do to these trucks is a risk.
How you deal with that risk is what seperates the men from the boys.

The reality of modding your truck, with any after market part is a risk.

I couldn't agree more!
Old 12-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
I have been without power and cable since last Thursday there is no avoding any issue.

my toll free number is 888 225 7637

T
i got power back in 3 days, and internet in 4. miserable. and bob lives more in the civilized areas than us in the sticks
Old 12-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Banned

i got my smarty on saturday. i also have a separate code scanner. i programmed a catcher software into the truck, went back to stock. used the extra scanner, and no codes, freeze frames, nada. works on my truck.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:19 PM

Q. Which version of "stock" will the Smarty come with.

Smarty does NOT download the complete original software from the ECM and does not store it
into it's memory. That is for a simple reason. The protocol in the ECM does not allow to read
the flash memory.
How can Smarty then return to stock? Simple he has all the latest stock softwares already on
board. When you choose to return the truck back to stock, Smarty takes the stock software
from it's memory and updates the ECM with that software.

I was wrong.... LOL Ya think I would have read the FAQ a little closer. My above post edited.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:53 PM

So after reading all this info about the smarty I have just one question:

Where do I sign-up to get one??
Old 12-20-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JT824megacab
So after reading all this info about the smarty I have just one question:

Where do I sign-up to get one??

Right here!! http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/smtubymael.html

MikeyB

Quick Reply: Interesting note about Smarty and "undetecability"