3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Installed AEM Brute force cold intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Installed AEM Brute force cold intake

I installed and AEM Brute Force cold intake for my 2005 4x4 2500 Dodge diesel 31k miles. Before the install 17 miles to the gallon. After the install now I am only getting 13.8 to 14.0 miles. And the air filter gauage always states to replace filter? I call manufacture, they state that's normal. Also asked about the differance before and after install. They told my my truck will have to re-adjust, and call back in two weeks. Any ideads of what could be the problem. There ad claims more horse power and increased gas milage

Thank you, Duxshunter
Old 11-08-2006, 10:02 PM

I put on on mine and got a increase. Sounds strange to me. Yes mine is always in the red also which tells me it is to restrictive.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:03 PM

Is the mpg hand figured or on the overhead?

Dont worry about the filter minder, it wont worke properly with any aftermarket intake. Fill in your signature, and next time put a question like this in the 3rd gen performance forum, youll get more responses.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the add reads "increased gas consumption"
Old 11-09-2006, 12:07 AM

the filterminder doesn't work because itis too close to the turbo, bear in mind that your turbo will be able to put out more boost and so it is sucking more air than the stock tube which will affect the minder

i went through the same anxiety when i got mine

i even bought different filters and tried them, i even drilled a new hole and moved the filter minder closer to the filter. that helped but still sucked down the minder

the thing does work, my fuel mileage went up, the turbo sings like noones business, i can hit 34 lbs of boost in a stock truck. i picked up some rubber grommets and short fat plastic plugs from the auto parts store and capped off my holes in the intake

they almost look factory and offer almost no resistance to the tube

your factory air filter is rated at 425 cfm, the K&n factory replacement only flows 630 cfm nowhere near what the brute force runs, get some gauges if you don't have any and just watch the number your truck will run, mine insn't even working with that thing on it
Old 11-09-2006, 05:38 AM

The Dryflow filter (used int in the AEM) is supposedly rated at over 900cfm. Compared to the BHAF which around 450CFM. The "filter minder" is just that, it measures the air being sucked through the filter, not in the air tube near the turbo. I've been using the dryflow for about a year. Still haven't cleaned it yet. Never a spot of dust in the air tube. My only coplaint with the AEM is the air sounds were a bit much for me. So I kept the filter and used it in the S&B set up. A bit quieter and works great. Another idea with the AEM is to put on an outerwear prefilter and then remove the rubber shield just to the pass side of the radiator. It allows direct air right to the filter. It doesn't get wet during a rainy day. I did replace the cover during the snow season though. Good luck
Old 11-09-2006, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed an increase when I installed my Brute Force. I'm very, very pleased with it. I need to get my Outerwear ordered. I just have been lazy and not measured the danged thing.....
Old 11-09-2006, 07:48 AM

i believe the consensus when this was discussed at length before was the vaccum pressure will be greater closer to the turbo

the minder was definitely more sensitive to the vaccum pressure in the original aem location than nearer the filter. i have the extra hole in mine to prove it, it would still suck down but only if i really got on it, the original location allowed it to get sucked down even at half throttle
Old 11-09-2006, 08:56 AM

J Malone. I have the part numbers at home. I post later the outterwears part numbers. If you call them and tell them what you have (AEM Dryflow filter 4" opening by 9" long) they will have the part number handy.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:53 AM

My filter minder never goes past half way. Maybe I don't get on it enough.