3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

"how-to" for oil bypass

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No its much much smaller than that... .04x?? I don't recall, but someone will chime in.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05mxdiesel
you guys are too funny, use the amsoil bp80a mount ($14.50), eabp90 filter ($36.75) 98.7% at 2 micron, and then add your lines, amsoil swivel fitting and stant #1111 valve cover cap and be done with it for under $100.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/detail.aspx?ID=3078
https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/Se...?CategoryID=78
Any chance you can post more on what parts you used and where to buy them, and how to hook it all up?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:02 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by carl48
the hoses syndicate mentioned are good up to several thousand psi they are cheap and will not wear into mount the filter on the frame or fender, i solder a copper disk in a 1/8" swivel and drill a 0.065" hole in it then screw that into the top of existing filter housing cummins says not to exceed 0.078" the filters i use were made for larger trucks and equipment and the orifice is to large i think the one he suggested uses a 1/16" if it does it is perfect run the bypass filter until it clogs up the dirtier a filter is the better it filters
Originally Posted by ah64id
No its much much smaller than that... .04x?? I don't recall, but someone will chime in.
Sorry, I didnt read the previous post. So I guess its a 1/16 in hole. That makes a lot more sense to me that 1/4in. I am too used to working on the big stuff, a 1/4in hole on the lube system on a ISB would probably kill the poor thing. I guess I am going to make up a bypass that uses the Fleetguard LF3654
Old 04-25-2008, 01:24 AM

Has any one tried this system I'm kinda sold on the video FS-2500

http://filtrationsolutionsww.com/video.html
Old 04-25-2008, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by kanuckle head
Has any one tried this system I'm kinda sold on the video FS-2500

http://filtrationsolutionsww.com/video.html
Good video.... now think about this, the Amsoil has a better filtration rating and is cheaper....
Old 04-25-2008, 08:14 AM

no the restriction can not be bigger than 0.078" per cummins i like 0.065
Old 04-25-2008, 08:22 AM

the fs-2500 is way overpriced and i am having lots of fun with this , the lf 9750 looks like it belongs on a dodge any one want pix of one mounted send me your e mail
Old 04-25-2008, 12:42 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

I dont want to start this into a bashing Amsoil thing, I am sure they make a good product. There is a lot more to bypass filtering than just a small micron rating on a filter. Here is some good reading on bypass filters http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdf...es/LT15094.pdf
Soot is a sub-micron contaminant that is in our oil systems. Filters cant take out this tiny stuff. They can only catch the soot that is clumped together, which is a good thing because the stuff over 5 mic. is what causes engine wear. A centrifuge is required to remove sub micron soot but there is another approach. Increase the oil amount available to the engine. Soot increases the viscosity of oil and by putting more oil in the system, it will take a lot longer for the soot to do this. The LF3654 provides good filtration at the 5 mic. rating and will add about 3 qt. to the oil system. The Amsoil filter is around 40$ where a LF3654 or equivalent and a extra gallon of oil can be had for around 25$, plus these filters can be found everywhere, not just Amsoil dealers that you have to make a special trip to or pay shipping to get one. Dont get me wrong, any bypass filter will do a excellent job on controlling engine wear by capturing the contaminants that cause it. Soot causes wear by 1) clumped soot that is larger than 5 mic. and 2) increasing viscosity to the point that it reduces the oil volume available to lubricated parts.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:44 PM

Matego is the oil guy.com Has a nice ring to it. As I have not cared up to this point about my oil out of sheer laziness I just looked at my truck and realized that the last oil change done 6 months ago but I only have 1500 miles on it since then. It was broke for quite a while.

But the real kicker is what I found, the KING of all spin on filters..............FRAM. YES!!! My employees had the oil changed at walmart a while back for me. What a favor. I hope they put penzoil in it 2.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:34 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Tristan, the MLP prototype phase 1 is in transit. You should have it soon from UPS. I sent a Fram doubleguard for maximum service life.

Like the saying goes.... If you want it done right, do it yourself! I would fire that guy and hit him with a wiffleball bat between the ears like you do to break a mule from rearing up.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:54 PM

Easy now, I make money on those guys. I do stuff like make em grind all day.
sometimes I replace there tungsten with sharpened 3/32 wire. (Makes it not weld but ball up) then flip there welding leads reverse and it acts the same. Some of the more fun stuff is hard to explain unless your a tube welder.

Of course everyone understands when you anti-seaze the headband on there hard hat.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:15 PM

matego the amsoil 110 filter has about the best specifications of any filter we checked i did not mean to imply it was not a good filter , i like playing and have access to large engine filters. most older by pass filters will not handle the soot the amsoil and the luberfiner we are playing with both remove 39% of soot per pass this is why i think they are using the same filter media . a good bypass filter will not have an internal bypass valve and therefore will not flow oil when it clogs up the dirtier a filter is the better it filters ,example if you run the amsoil filter until it clogs up it will filter a lot higher than 39% at the last . since the bypass filter catches so much more than the full flow you can safely increase the filter change interval to 20,000 miles . we have a 91 that will have 900,000 on it by the end of the year pulling heavy with no bypass filter and no blow by , the newer the truck the worse the regs and oil contamination the new oil has to burn with out residue and is not good for lube, compounded by the 3rd injection pulse and cam timing starting with 04.5's the engines do not stand a chance with out a bypass filter , fore what its worth none of our 12 dodges has ever had synthetic oil in the engine only the gear boxes only motor that has ever had problems was caused by K&N air filters we were trying on a 94 lost the turbo ,there was massive silicon in the oil sample it has a bypass on it the engine will probably make a million miles but has excessive blow by