3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HOLLY SMOKES.. My new tranny!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOLLY SMOKES.. My new tranny!!!!!!!

Just got my truck back today. My stocker lasted 88,500 miles of hard towing. My newly rebuilt tranny includes Suncoast VB, Kevlar bands, Suncoast gears,
stock shafts at the advice of my builder, Dayco TC Big single, amsoil synthetic ATF+4, Other stuff I don't know yet, as I haven't talked to Mike in a day and don't know what else went in. i was suprised it was ready today as he dropped the truck of at my office.

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!! Nice firm shifts. Gears hold longer. tranny does not hunt for gears. Off line responce is crisper. OD holds in lock-up nicely.

If I could ever give anyone any advice, it would be to have your tranny done B4 any power adders.

Len
Old 10-12-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by EQUIPPRO
If I could ever give anyone any advice, it would be to have your tranny done B4 any power adders.

Len
Probably good advice, but its hard to fix something that aint broke and much easier to spend 400 bucks and feel the huge improvement. But those shifts your describing sound so very nice, my stock tranny is certainly not anything to be excited about.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:45 PM

yeah, it was a day and night difference when i had mine tranny done, u could actually feel it shift thru every gear.... BTW, do u know excatly what Suncoast VB u got??
Old 10-12-2007, 07:10 PM

How much does it cost??
Old 10-12-2007, 07:32 PM

anywhere from 900-7000 dollars. It was the best 4700.00 i ever spent. Peace of mind is a beautiful thing!!!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 09:46 PM

If you go with moderate HP with a tighter TC, and tow heavy or do any hard launches, you will say bye bye to your input shaft, then to your TC.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Chapter President

tranny ran me slightly over 3k.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:32 PM

That sounds about right. I put about $3k into mine to get it where it is. I did my own labor to save a few bucks, but $3000 bucks can get you along way with a trans.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:01 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by Justice4all
That sounds about right. I put about $3k into mine to get it where it is. I did my own labor to save a few bucks, but $3000 bucks can get you along way with a trans.
I put 3G's in my 2ND tranny! Lasted maybe 30k w/ 470hp. You better spend them wisely or you'll be doing it all over again, trust me
Old 10-14-2007, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW!! those are some cheap prices. The tranny i just order almost cost 10k. But I had everythind done it as well. Glad you're enjoying the new tranny.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by 13FOX
WOW!! those are some cheap prices. The tranny i just order almost cost 10k. But I had everythind done it as well. Glad you're enjoying the new tranny.
WOW, I just can't see this. I have been doing my own trannies for the race car and a few for others and that is a lot of money to spend on a tranny. I just can't even see where it could be going. There are some good tranny builders that are providing durable trannies for these trucks but the prices are getting crazy. I would like to see a run down of the parts list for that build. I don't think I could find 10K worth of parts to use in a build. Just like everything else with the "demand", some folks are making out like bandits.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you ever priced all 3 billet shafts? I bet thats how it got to 10 grand that fast.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:58 AM

I'm still confused why your builder wouldn't recommend even the billet input. How much HP are you running or plan to run? That 3K could easily be ****** away with a broken input shaft. With all the other upgrades done to the tranny, your putting higher stress on the input and output shafts. The intermediate your probably safe, but the input??? If the output shaft breaks, its no biggie, the input and your done
Old 10-14-2007, 10:08 AM

Check out the thread " I broke my tranny again"... I think any tranny builder that doesn't at least recommend a billet input, is nuts, specially when your dishin out 3K. Just be careful.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Chapter President

First off. read my sig. All I have is exhaust and a torque tube. still using the factory air box. No programmers or boxes. I am maybe 15hp over stock.
I am not up in the 400 HP or over category. So with what I have my tranny is more than up to the task. I do pull heavy ( T-300 Bobcat 10,500lbs + Terramark trailer 2.400lbs = 12,900lbs. I avg tow that weight about 2x a week + a lot of other equipment in my rental yard. Even my Komatsu mini Excavators weigh 8,100lbs and i tow them around 2 to 3 times a week also.

Before my friend's tranny shop rebuilt my tranny I got another opinion and an estimate from Jeff Garmon himself. His shop is about 45 mins south from me. He really knows his stuff. He recomended the same as my tranny guy. Jeff is straight up honest. He was building a 48re for a guy w/ a megacab in his shop that required a $6,500 billet shaft. No expense spaired type rebuild. he also recomended the same style setup as Mike, the only difference was that Jeff has a local guy in Atlanta that builds TC's for him. He also uses suncoast and will use their TC if you want him to. If Mike couldn't do mine, Jeff would have been my second choice to do the work on my tranny. Jeff trained under Joe webb so he knows Dodge, Ford and Chevy.

I don't do boosted lanches, or sled pull. But from what both of them told me, I am good for up to 450HP. which is plenty for my work truck..

Quick Reply: HOLLY SMOKES.. My new tranny!!!!!!!