3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HID's

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID's

Has anyone tried a HID retrofit kit on their truck? If so what were the results? I was thinking about getting one that I found for $300.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:05 PM

I have HID's on mine...I like them, they're nice and they have a certain "cool" factor.

Was NEVER able to get them to work with the factory switch though (took them to a shop for them to figure out). They would work properly for a few days, then the passenger side would flicker a few times before it would turn on, then it wouldn't turn on at all. It has something to do with the truck's computer (I think) as turning the lights on prior to turning the truck on worked fine, it was turning them on after the truck was running that caused problems. I am now running them on their own toggle switch and they work fine.

I'm sure there's a way to make them work with the factory switch, but I never found it.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:10 AM

Hey Marc; I was lately inquiring into adding a HID setup on my 03 3500. the garage that handles them has done only one install on a ford, they said they had no problems with that install he did mention to me that installing onto a Dodge that there may be some diode issues with the system as it has the lamp out displays etc. He was going to look into it and get back to me, I am on the road right now, and will be back home in a couple of weks and I will let you know when I get the info. I am interested in getting the system. I think I would like it better than the available Brite box system, although I haven't ruled it out.
Do you know if there is a big difference over the current QH headlights?

Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2006, 11:16 AM

I have read elsewhere that vehicles that moniter lamp outtages have some problems. To be safe you may want to do like Ramirezh did and throw in a toggle switch. I have HID's in my fogs and they have worked flawlessly, however I don't think the truck moniters for dead fog lamps.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by RatherBeMuddin
I have read elsewhere that vehicles that moniter lamp outtages have some problems. To be safe you may want to do like Ramirezh did and throw in a toggle switch. I have HID's in my fogs and they have worked flawlessly, however I don't think the truck moniters for dead fog lamps.
That's correct, you'll get the Lamp Out notification and the fogs are not monitored by the truck. The owner of the shop I took it to has a Ram as well and he ended up hooking it up to his fog light switch...he offered this to me, but I wanted the ability to just run my parking lights...otherwise its full blast or nothing.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:59 PM

Is there a substantial difference in the lighting at night? I am currently running PIA bulbs in both headlights as well as factory fogs. I noticed a big improvement in the fogs with the pia 55w blues added. but I think HID is the way to go would like any feedback or comments on running HID's, as I have never driven behind them.

Cheers

Driller
Old 02-23-2006, 08:59 PM

Well, I can't compare them to any other bulb than the stock bulbs...and in my opinion they do provide a better light. The light doesn't seem to "fade" so quickly.