3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! Suspension kit for better ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Suspension kit for better ride?

I feel as if my truck is beginning to ride terrible the last 10k miles. The steering seems to wander and its just not easy to drive on the roads anymore. On the highway while hitting bumps the front end will seem to begin to snow plow and then get traction on the dry pavement, which then jerks the wheel and almost makes the back end come around. This is all while driving the speed limit. I just had the balljoints replaced and everything else seems to be ok. The stock shocks are however still on the truck which are probably bad. I probably need a front end alignment with 65k on the truck but that will only solve the steering issues and not the ride issues. I am waiting to do the front end alignment until after I decide on the suspension kits.
Here are my questions. Would adding a carli/kore/lorenze leveling kit or suspension kit help the ride? If I added one of these kits would I be able to put a snow plow on it down the road? I don't really need or want to lift the truck I just want better handling. If greater handling came from one of these kits, I wouldn't mind lifting it though. Then I wonder if I should just get some Bilsteins and be done with it. Bilsteins are going to run $300 or so, and with Kore's $675 HP kit it almost seems worth it to spend another $375 to replace the stock springs.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2 cents. . . if your thinking of a leveling kit why not spend another $40 or so and just get a new set of front coils that are +2" from stock. Then add you a set Bilstien 5100 all around. Sure made a big diff on mine. . . .
Old 12-03-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any of the intro level carli/kore/lorenz kits will improve ride quality. While they do add 2-3 in of height, they are designed for improved performance, the lifted look is a bonus. New shocks are great but the front coils and mini leaf packs make a huge difference IMO. And not just for off-raod, the street performance is really noticible; no lean when cornering or nose dive under breaking. If your going to put on a plow new coils would definetly help, and you can probably get lorenz or carli to valve front shocks accordingly.

I am happy with the Lorenz kit I have but i would probably go for the carli as they have more options now and keep coming out with new quality stuff. Also check with Don at Thuren Fabrication, he can customize coils and shock valving for exactly what you want to do.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:52 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Carli's got the softest riding coils out there I think. I haven't ridden in Lorenz's truck with his plush ride coils though. Kore's got the best value on a leveling kit or their HP through the Race Shop but their coils are the firmest. The 5100's are a good compromise shock for the street guy. Get a Thuren trackbar while you're at it.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think any of them will fit the bill.....i know lorenz sells a 23% stiffer 2" taller replacement coil that's purpose built for plow/heavy bumper,...sure some of the other quality shops could also accomidate.....

Replacement shocks/coils will definately imrpove ride with additional options offering even more:

MiniPacks / Full Rear Leafs (do as much for the rear, if not more, than the coils for the front)
Thuren Trackbar and a Steering Brace - keeps the steering tight and is the icing on the cake for a great all around ride.

You named the right companies, as long as you stick with one of them (or thuren), you'll be happy....the degree just depends on how much $'s you want to part with.