Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

rear full air ride suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 10:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear full air ride suspension

Anybody here put full airride rear suspension on their truck? If so which one and has it lasted as advertised. I've looked at a few and have no real world driving down the road reports. Not looking for increased load capacity looking for a smooter ride. Thanks<br><br>Paul<br>'03 HO/6spd 2500 SLT quad
Old 02-06-2003, 05:04 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:rear full air ride suspension

Paul,

Every vehicle I have owned with air suspension (and that is 6) has been a pain and expensive to maintain. Two of my motorhomes had it and it was a nightmare to my wallet everytime one of the bags let loose. The last one cost me $5200 just to get it good enough to sell it.

If you are after a smoother ride, let me suggest MOR/ryde. They have a system for a pickup that can be configured for your load that dramatically improves the ride. They have two different systems for fifth wheel and trailers that are night and day in ride after installing.

Here is link to their website http://www.morryde.com/

Bob
Old 02-06-2003, 06:01 PM
Banned

Wondring if you have first hand experience with this mor/ryde system Bob? Sounds good on the website. I have had only positive experiences with air ride mostly with heavy truck. I know the computer controled cars (Continental and Town car) can be expensive to fix. Figured so many medium and heavy truck are air ride that someone would have a reputable system for a pickup. Heck air bags are only about 80 bucks and airline is also cheap if it rubs through. The most concern I would have would be with bushings wearing and causing a wandering feeling.<br>Thanks<br>Paul
Old 02-06-2003, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kelderman Manufacturing has a couple of systems one uses the original springs and the other uses a 4 link on two air bags. If you check out the local truck stop most newer trucks and trailers use air ride, not more maintenance just different things to be aware of. Presently trying to convert 27' RV 5th wheel to air ride. City buses and highway coaches have used this since the 60's, most new ambulances use it as well. Must be something it has to be so diverse in use. Pk
Old 02-06-2003, 10:38 PM

http://www.keldermanmfg.com/index.htm<br>is a place I've had good luck with. It did like the testomonial says on my buddies f550. He was going to sell it now he's not. I'm not sure if that a good thing but it rides nice now.<br>
Old 02-07-2003, 07:57 AM

Dunno what your looking for I have full air ride on my truck works sweet! Air ride technologies
Old 02-07-2003, 02:19 PM

[quote author=spots link=board=7;threadid=10606;start=0#101629 date=1044576087]<br>Wondring if you have first hand experience with this mor/ryde system Bob? Paul<br>[/quote]<br><br>Paul, <br>My &quot;personal&quot; experience with MOR/ryde has been: on my fifth wheel (luv it) and driving a Ford 450 with MOR/ryde. The Ford rode better than my new Dodge and that is saying a lot. I have considered doing my new Dodge, but the ride is so good I am not sure I want to spend the money - - spent too much all ready according to the CFO. I have no complaints with the ride of the air systems. Just too much stuff with computers, air pumps, air lines rupturing, sensors, then the bag starts to leak. Every one of my Lincolns had to be replaced and it is not cheap. I spent over $9000 on one motorhome in 70,000 miles on the air ride system. No more. I guess if you keep it simple with just bags, a gauge and air hose, you could justify having them. Again, this is an opinion based on my experience with them. Ride nice - - not worth the money when you can do it cheaper with minimal maintenance.<br>NotFullOfHotAirBob
Old 02-07-2003, 03:17 PM

I have not had the pleasure of the air ride. However Kelderman Mfg. is just down the road from me. I wouldn't buy there farm equipment to save my rear, but there air ride seems to be top notch. There are a lot of guys here in central Iowa who have them air ride system and it turns any tank into a caddy. They have to different systems for the back, the four link is new and I haven't seen it in use yet, but looks like the way to go. I have a buddy that has the old style in his and it road very nice. Loaded or empty. I know the system well take just about anything you can throw at it. He used to pull a three car trailer with it and I seen him put a full sized chevy conversion van right on top of the truck. <br><br>they also make air ride for the front, simply take out the coil srpings and put in air bags, you can opt. for dump valves on the bags and auto. leveling kit. I belive when I priced it for my 01 it was going to cost just short of $3500 nice set up though
Old 02-07-2003, 03:28 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info Bob. I do agree that this truck is better sprung then the Fords I have had. I have contacted a couple of companies for info. Probably have a heart attack when I see the prices though...<br>FYI I contacted DC and they gave me in writing that an airride rear would not void any warranty on the truck. They just will not warranty the airride components. (so I figured)<br>Ford, on the other hand........<br><br>Jamie do you have an approximate cost for your conversion?<br>I think you have the 4 link system?<br><br>Thanks<br>Paul
Old 02-07-2003, 05:18 PM
Chapter President

Full air rides are softer riding and spendy...air rides do fail tho and when that happens your dropped onto the stops (ruff riding) a well engineered system should give years of service even if loaded heavy
Old 02-07-2003, 06:35 PM

<br>Spots,<br><br>Forgot to mention costs - - from memory I think the price for MOR/ryde for my truck was about $800 installed at their factory in Indiana. I can't answer about having it installed somewhere else. <br>Bob
Old 02-08-2003, 03:09 PM

Mine was 5000 CDN installed, with 4 way air ride front/back/side to side adjust. I can slam it on the ground or go to stock height I have a C-Notch in rear to really get it down. I can tow more weight then stock the bags are rated higher. I do have the 4 bar link In the rear mine is a complete bolt on kit I love it my truck rides like a caddie! Also I am selling all my old valved and gauges and switches I went to 1/2&quot; lines and diff gagues and switches because I wanted to bounce the truck.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:05 PM
Muted User

All depends on the setup. Lowering a pickup is the stupiedist thing ive heard of. And it looks terrible.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the not so kind words diesel boy why not keep it on an adult level with the comments. If you don't like it thats one thing spouting off at the mouth its stupid blah blah blah is just ignorant. Why not appreciate the time and effort it takes someone to accomplish a vehicle like mine.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:21 AM
Banned

I also enjoy seeing a custom truck or car that is done properly. While a lowered truck is not what I am after I think Jamie has done a wonderful job. Next time I am Toronto way I will look for that one. Much rather have a lowered truck than one jacked to the sky. Them things look tippy!! <br>JMO. Thanks for the info Jamie<br><br>Paul

Quick Reply: rear full air ride suspension