3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help With Engine Noise !

Old 09-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Help With Engine Noise !

I Just Put Some New Injectors In Yesterday And It Started Up Right Away With Minimal Smoke!

Today I Started It Up And There Was Some Smoke,nothing Major.

I Drove It And At Low Rpm's(1400-1600) It Sounds Like Fuel Knock.

No Smoke,no Leaks(external) No Miss ,smooth Acceleration.

Acts The Same Whether It's Stock Or Tuned.

Please Don't Ask Who's Injectors They Are,because They're Reputable,and I Won't Jump To Conclusions.just Looking For Any Suggestions!this Is What This Site Is For,i Don't Want To Bash Anyone. Thanks In Advance For All Your Helpful Comments !!

Last edited by #2 only; 09-29-2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: W
Old 09-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Banned

what size injectors are they ? liters/hp ??
Old 09-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tritont
what size injectors are they ? liters/hp ??
THEY ARE 50 HP
Old 09-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Banned

well from my own experience with the same sort of problem, you could have a timing rattle.

The additional fuel you're suppling now causes the ECM to advance the timing, stock or tuned it still there. Not saying this is your problem but, it's one thing to think about.

Those rattles aren't easy to narrow down sometimes which I'm finding out myself. I have semi-larger injectors and another person that claimed the same problem also has large injectors. I wouldn't think 50's would cause the same problem but you never know. It could be several things...

bad FCA
rail pressure to high
timing off
no offense but... faulty tip installation

If you;re able, it seems the best way to narrow it down is to hook up to a Scantool so you can see what things are doing.

I may be completely off base here with your problem but, you've described what sounds like the same thing. Good luck with it!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Banned

You're Not Offending Me,it's Constructive Critism.
The Injectors Came To Me Complete Though.

I Can't Imagine That Much Rattle From That Small Of Injector.
Plus I've Had Bigger Ones Not Do That.also,it Only Does It At Low Rpm's,not At Higher Ones,when I Give It More Fuel.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Banned

it Only Does It At Low Rpm's,not At Higher Ones,when I Give It More Fuel.
that's when it does it on my truck too. There seems to be too much fueling down low and electronics seems to be the only fix although I've yet to find any that does what needs to be done. It needs to build the boost before adding the fuel. I do have dual pumps though which is probably a part of my problem.

Are your injectors EDMed or honed ? What do the people you got them from say about it ?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Banned

Edm.i Have Not Talked To Them Yet Because It's Saturday.i'll Phone On Monday If Someone Can't Help Solve This By Then.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by #2 only
I Just Put Some New Injectors In Yesterday And It Started Up Right Away With Minimal Smoke!

Today I Started It Up And There Was Some Smoke,nothing Major.

I Drove It And At Low Rpm's(1400-1600) It Sounds Like Fuel Knock.

No Smoke,no Leaks(external) No Miss ,smooth Acceleration.

Acts The Same Whether It's Stock Or Tuned.

Please Don't Ask Who's Injectors They Are,because They're Reputable,and I Won't Jump To Conclusions.just Looking For Any Suggestions!this Is What This Site Is For,i Don't Want To Bash Anyone. Thanks In Advance For All Your Helpful Comments !!

BUMP,BUMP,BUMP
Old 09-30-2007, 08:14 AM

same exact problem here. we installed tips the other night and I get alot of rattle from them also. I got a different tune for my downloader and its not as bad but its still there like you said with the power adders on or off. we took our time and put on each nozzle torqued them down, etc. I had a couple sets of instructions and talked to someone who had done them before also. my truck runs fine also, just rattles alot
Old 09-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Banned

this is some info someone gave to me. Don't know that it would apply to your situation but very well could. Your applied and commanded rail pressures need to be in sync, 1:1 or a close as they can be.

With bigger injectors a whole lot things have to change programming wise. All fuel tables.... main and pilot need adjusted. If you have 100% injectors your main shot with say 15* timing might be OK really, but your pilot shot 20* before that could really be the troubles as it now has way to much fuel. So you now you actually have 35* timing.

That can be dealt with using a programmer. The only one I know of that will adjust timing is the TST ( sweet box btw ) but, doesn't work on late model 07's.

You need to go to the dealer and ask them to hook you up to a Starscan. You have to look at the readings while it's happening so, you'll likely need to go for a drive with the tech.

Again, I don't know that this is your problem but, it gives you a place to start.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Banned

Ok.like I Said Before,i Had Bigger Sticks Before And No Problem,but Maybe The Starscan Is The Answer.

Did Anyone Else That Had This Problem Have Smoke And/or Other Issues?
Old 09-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Banned

Ok.like I Said Before,i Had Bigger Sticks Before And No Problem,but Maybe The Starscan Is The Answer.

Did Anyone Else That Had This Problem Have Smoke And/or Other Issues?
smoke isn't an issue. It's the timing rattle that is and is likely caused from the larger injectors and ECM timing. You might have been lucky before but, this time obviously have a problem.

There's a lot of large injectors out there people are running without issue but, some do have issues. Finding this type of problem I've found isn't easy to do.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Banned

I Just Got Back From A Test Run.stock Program,still Sounds Like Fuel Knock or Even Valves,other Than That It Runs Fine.i'm Certain My Injectors And Nozzles Aren't Sticking Because I Did A Test.i Don't Like That Sound And I Don't Go To The Track,i Haul Heavy Trailers For A Living And I Need My Truck To Work So I Can Eat Also,it's Only Doing It When You're At Low Revs,almost Lugging , Not Really Any Other Time.these Injectors Are Not Big,i Think The Holes Are Smaller,thier Not For High Hp,but For Milage. Thanks

Last edited by #2 only; 09-30-2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: W
Old 09-30-2007, 10:43 AM

I Just Got Back From A Test Run.stock Program,still Sounds Like Fuel Knock or Even Valves,other Than That It Runs Fine.i'm Certain My Injectors And Nozzles Aren't Sticking Because I Did A Test.i Don't Like That Sound And I Don't Go To The Track,i Haul Heavy Trailers For A Living And I Need My Truck To Work So I Can Eat Also,it's Only Doing It When You're At Low Revs,almost Lugging , Not Really Any Other Time.these Injectors Are Not Big,i Think The Holes Are Smaller,thier Not For High Hp,but For Milage. Thanks
what year is your truck?
Old 09-30-2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by tritont
this is some info someone gave to me. Don't know that it would apply to your situation but very well could. Your applied and commanded rail pressures need to be in sync, 1:1 or a close as they can be.

With bigger injectors a whole lot things have to change programming wise. All fuel tables.... main and pilot need adjusted. If you have 100% injectors your main shot with say 15* timing might be OK really, but your pilot shot 20* before that could really be the troubles as it now has way to much fuel. So you now you actually have 35* timing.

That can be dealt with using a programmer. The only one I know of that will adjust timing is the TST ( sweet box btw ) but, doesn't work on late model 07's.

You need to go to the dealer and ask them to hook you up to a Starscan. You have to look at the readings while it's happening so, you'll likely need to go for a drive with the tech.

Again, I don't know that this is your problem but, it gives you a place to start.
ty you must have a friend at the dealer. the dealer I goto is pretty cool but I dont think they will do that. im sure they will for money and then void the warranty on my engine when the start looking around

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help With Engine Noise !