3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help With Engine Noise !

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey #2only it is probably a injector no matter how carefull, no one is perfect. I say that because I just rebeilt my motor with 125hp sticks. On initial start up I had it set at stock tuning now u want to talk about smoke WOW 50X84 shed full it looked like a detroit 12/71 with 4 dead holes I almost wet myself!! Turned it off and relooked everything that was good started it back up still knock and smoke. I gave it more throtle and held it at 1500rpm cleaned up smoke and smoothed out. Back to idle still rough so i put my smarty on sw#1 and all gone?????? That aint right !!!!!!!!!! Anyway i drove it for 2 weeks and got worse hard to start smoky on start up "my thery bad injector leaking fuel into the combustion chamber" NOT DEFINATE. It would smooth out after it got warm and run like a RAPED APE!!! I was waiting for a buddy to get his 175hp sticks back and I broke a builet input shaft in the proses so we swaped the trany and the injectors. A little smoke on start up the first time but all smooth at idle and runs good. My thery take your injectors out and have them checked out to see if the seats are good and not leaking. Mine get sent off tomarrow!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Banned

ty you must have a friend at the dealer. the dealer I goto is pretty cool but I dont think they will do that. im sure they will for money and then void the warranty on my engine when the start looking around

I went to them not caring what they see is probably the difference. The dealer I bought my trucks from is cool like that though. I just spend a half hour on the phone with the service/parts manager yesterday talking about it. He doesn't care at all what I've done to my engine and says that as long as what was done didn't cause the damage, it's warrantied. He also knows though, that I wouldn't come in asking for warranty on anything to do with the drivetrain.

My Nav. controls broke and I'm having trouble with the power steering pump leaking. Both warrantied without a problem and both are known common issues with our trucks.

One difference in this dealer is, according to him they're so big they don't need area reps approval to make warranty calls. They make the decisions themselves and have their customers best interest in mind unlike some rep that shows up to save D/C money.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gotsmoke6
Hey #2only it is probably a injector no matter how carefull, no one is perfect. I say that because I just rebeilt my motor with 125hp sticks. On initial start up I had it set at stock tuning now u want to talk about smoke WOW 50X84 shed full it looked like a detroit 12/71 with 4 dead holes I almost wet myself!! Turned it off and relooked everything that was good started it back up still knock and smoke. I gave it more throtle and held it at 1500rpm cleaned up smoke and smoothed out. Back to idle still rough so i put my smarty on sw#1 and all gone?????? That aint right !!!!!!!!!! Anyway i drove it for 2 weeks and got worse hard to start smoky on start up "my thery bad injector leaking fuel into the combustion chamber" NOT DEFINATE. It would smooth out after it got warm and run like a RAPED APE!!! I was waiting for a buddy to get his 175hp sticks back and I broke a builet input shaft in the proses so we swaped the trany and the injectors. A little smoke on start up the first time but all smooth at idle and runs good. My thery take your injectors out and have them checked out to see if the seats are good and not leaking. Mine get sent off tomarrow!
So are you saying you think your DonM sticks are bad ? I'd be really surprised if Don let out some injectors that weren't working correctly. I thought the same thing... pulled my injectors, sent them to Don for checking and they were found to be good and yet still have the rattle.

IMO, I think it's a tuning issue but, I've been wrong before
Old 09-30-2007, 11:27 AM

tritont Im not dissing don i had 6 bad seats that were fixed and has all of the simptoms of a bad injector it happens. they were tested after they were fixed and were good. More bezar thing have happened!!! Moded injectors change timing and different size different amount?!?!?! Well we all know the late 06 is very sensitive?! went to a bigger injector and went away U TELL ME ! AND ALSO WHY WOULD IT LOAD UP ON FUEL AND TAKE A WHILE TO PRIME BACK UP???????????????? AFTER SITING AND COOLING DOWN
Old 09-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jwb600
what year is your truck?
IT'S AN 06.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Banned

I also noticed some mild timing rattle after installing the new sticks. Beta 4.4 used to have no timing rattle on my truck. Now with 4.4 it sounds more like the standard program did. I'm not sure if the beta versions are geared toward aftermarket injectors or stockers?

I'm going to try 4.4 on #8 and see what happens. Maybe stack an XZT with it for a little extra pressure and timing.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Banned

tritont Im not dissing don i had 6 bad seats that were fixed and has all of the simptoms of a bad injector it happens. they were tested after they were fixed and were good. More bezar thing have happened!!! Moded injectors change timing and different size different amount?!?!?! Well we all know the late 06 is very sensitive?! went to a bigger injector and went away U TELL ME ! AND ALSO WHY WOULD IT LOAD UP ON FUEL AND TAKE A WHILE TO PRIME BACK UP???????????????? AFTER SITING AND COOLING DOWN
I didn't think you were. I just wondered if you thought Don injectors were bad.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Banned

PLEASE TAKE THIS AS "TRYING TO SOLVE A PROBLEM , NOT CREATING ONE"
COULD YOU HAVE MIS-PROPERLY INSTALLED THEM,I'M OPEN TO THAT WITH MINE.

I DON'T GET IT-

-GRAY SMOKE TIL WARMED UP
-RUNS (IDLES)SMOOTH,EXCEPT WHEN KNOCKING
-NO LEAKS
-NO MISSING AT REV-UP OR DECEL
-NO SMOKE THRU-OUT THE RPM,EVEN AT WOT
Old 09-30-2007, 11:54 AM

I think #6 is, it sends a bad vibration back into the high pressure line from the rail and runs rough no fuel load up then. When it dont chater the line i have fuel load up in the cylender.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:03 PM

Well i used new conection tubes " u do know they are a crush styl they have to stay matched to ther injector 1-1 2-2 so on " is that a possibilty for U? Mine probable not like i said i used new ones. OK did u seat the injector by hand u will hear or feel it pop in insert the 2 hold down bolts " FINGURE TIGHT" then the conection tube and hold down nut AGAIN FINGURE TIGHT then tourqe the injector evenly then the conection tube nut . RIGHT
Old 09-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Banned

Well i used new conection tubes " u do know they are a crush styl they have to stay matched to ther injector 1-1 2-2 so on " is that a possibilty for U? Mine probable not like i said i used new ones. OK did u seat the injector by hand u will hear or feel it pop in insert the 2 hold down bolts " FINGURE TIGHT" then the conection tube and hold down nut AGAIN FINGURE TIGHT then tourqe the injector evenly then the conection tube nut . RIGHT
I thought the instructions say to torque down the connector tubes first, then torque down the injectors?
Old 09-30-2007, 12:10 PM

That is not what the cummins manual says
Old 09-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Banned

That is not what the cummins manual says
According to the manual I guess we're both kinda right...and wrong.

7. Tightening Sequence:
a) Install fuel injector hold down clamp (mounting flange) bolts. Be sure the clamp is perpendicular to the injector body. Do a preliminary tightening of these bolts to 44 in-lbs. This preliminary tightening insures the fuel injector is seated and centered.
b) After tightening, relieve bolt torque, but leave both bolts threaded in place.
c) Install high-pressure connector and retaining nut. Do a preliminary tightening to 11 ft-lbs.
d) Alternately tighten injector hold down bolts to 89 in-lbs.
e) Do a final tightening of the high-pressure connector and retaining nut. Tighten to 37 ft-lbs.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:29 PM

yes step "a" i did by hand pussing it in
Old 09-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Banned

yes step "a" i did by hand pussing it in
Steps C, D, & E are the ones I was referring to.

Torque connection tubes, then injectors, then conection tubes again.

Quick Reply: Help With Engine Noise !