3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help With Engine Noise !

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gotsmoke6
Well i used new conection tubes " u do know they are a crush styl they have to stay matched to ther injector 1-1 2-2 so on " is that a possibilty for U? Mine probable not like i said i used new ones. OK did u seat the injector by hand u will hear or feel it pop in insert the 2 hold down bolts " FINGURE TIGHT" then the conection tube and hold down nut AGAIN FINGURE TIGHT then tourqe the injector evenly then the conection tube nut . RIGHT
I DID NOT KNOW THAT THE TUBES NEED TO MATCH INJECTORS.I HAVE HAD SEVERAL SETS IN THERE AND NO ISSUES.THESE STICKS ARE NEW ONES,SAME TUBES THOUGH.I DID FINGER TIGHT AND PRE-TORQUE LIKE INSTRUCTED IN THE PAST.

??????
Old 09-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Banned

they don't necessarily need to match the injectors. If you have the Cummins manual though, it does say to replace the tubes anytime they come out. I bet this might be where your problem is. If you're using reused tubes, you might have a small leak. The tips of the tube will deform and not sit flush in the injector. That's why the torques are so imperative. The metal the tubes are made out of is really soft.

I've been this route with mine though too. I had EDMed tubes and honed injectors. I thought the injectors might be a problem but, they check fine. I thought the tubes might be a problem so, I replaced them with new one's. Wasn't the problem.

There's a LOT of variable in this problem... finding the right one is a trick
Old 09-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Banned

No Doubt About The Trick.i've Been Fortunate In The Past With The Same Tubes, I Don't Know What Else To Do.i Have Ideas But Don't Want To Guess.sometimes Guessing Will Find The Culprit.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrussell
I also noticed some mild timing rattle after installing the new sticks. Beta 4.4 used to have no timing rattle on my truck. Now with 4.4 it sounds more like the standard program did. I'm not sure if the beta versions are geared toward aftermarket injectors or stockers?

I'm going to try 4.4 on #8 and see what happens. Maybe stack an XZT with it for a little extra pressure and timing.
R U SYAING THAT THE STICKS ADVANCED TIMING TO THE POINT OF RATTLE?

I WOULD OF THOUGHT THAT THE "RATTLE" SOUND IS JUST MORE FUEL...

HOW CAN THE STICKS CHANGE TIMING? EDUCATE ME PLEASE!!
Old 09-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by #2 only
R U SYAING THAT THE STICKS ADVANCED TIMING TO THE POINT OF RATTLE?

I WOULD OF THOUGHT THAT THE "RATTLE" SOUND IS JUST MORE FUEL...

HOW CAN THE STICKS CHANGE TIMING? EDUCATE ME PLEASE!!
I could be wrong, but I think sticks do have some affect on timing. Don't the Smarty aftermarket injector programs have less advanced timing on the odd numbers (when compared to the stock injector programs)?
Old 09-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Banned

I could be wrong, but I think sticks do have some affect on timing. Don't the Smarty aftermarket injector programs have less advanced timing on the odd numbers (when compared to the stock injector programs)?
YES, I HEARD THAT, BUT I DON'T HOW RETARDED IT IS.I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW STICKS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH TIMING,DOES'NT MEAN IT CAN'T JUST BECAUSE I DON'T UNDERSTAND THOUUGH.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:31 PM

Aftemarket injectors do have a little advance built into them. The aftermarket injector program for the smarty doesn't advance the timing as much as the regular program IIRC.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Banned

Just Wondering If It's Ok. It's Louder Than Any Other Box Or Programmer I've Heard Before.it Sounds Just Like Fuel Knock, But No Smoke At All Even At Wot.my Truck Is Stock Right Now Too.i Can't Even Put Any Mods On With Timing.maybe I'm Being A Pestimist...i Floored It At A Dead Stop And There Was No Smoke,no Hesitation,not Even A Miss Or Hint Of An Issue,except That Loud Knocking Sound!!!!i Know It Don't Take Long To Ruin A Cr????
Old 09-30-2007, 07:12 PM

I had the same problem with some 75hp injectors.. I recently stepped up to some 150 injectors and a stg3 pump and it cleared up for the most part. Still have just a slight rattle at lower rpm's. FWIW, When I was having the problem about the only thing that seemed to help much was running my programmer at the lower settings. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:34 PM

According to the manual I guess we're both kinda right...and wrong.

7. Tightening Sequence:
a) Install fuel injector hold down clamp (mounting flange) bolts. Be sure the clamp is perpendicular to the injector body. Do a preliminary tightening of these bolts to 44 in-lbs. This preliminary tightening insures the fuel injector is seated and centered.
b) After tightening, relieve bolt torque, but leave both bolts threaded in place.
c) Install high-pressure connector and retaining nut. Do a preliminary tightening to 11 ft-lbs.
d) Alternately tighten injector hold down bolts to 89 in-lbs.
e) Do a final tightening of the high-pressure connector and retaining nut. Tighten to 37 ft-lbs.
is this info for sure for an 06? just checking with you. ive seen all kinds of tq specs on what everything is supposed to be
Old 09-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jwb600
is this info for sure for an 06? just checking with you. ive seen all kinds of tq specs on what everything is supposed to be
Yes, that info is from the 2006 manual. I think most of the online injector intsall write-ups use the specs from earlier models.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:18 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I need help understanding the whole timing statements. I'm not being accusatory or anything, but..........How can an injector have timing built into it? How can an injector change timing? They are electrical solenoid valves. Period. They cannot open until the computer tells them to, and the computer has no idea if they have larger nozzles or not. Please explain how or why the computer will change timing, when it has no way of realizing that anything has changed?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:34 PM

Yes, that info is from the 2006 manual. I think most of the online injector intsall write-ups use the specs from earlier models.
thank you. I need to get some kind of manual. I would prefer just to get a book with specs in it. I should have left it alone now im having issues
Old 09-30-2007, 08:34 PM

It has nothing to do with the ecm. It has to do with the injector itself. Don M explained it awhile back. I just can't remember the specifics.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by drillpipe
I had the same problem with some 75hp injectors.. I recently stepped up to some 150 injectors and a stg3 pump and it cleared up for the most part. Still have just a slight rattle at lower rpm's. FWIW, When I was having the problem about the only thing that seemed to help much was running my programmer at the lower settings. Hope you get it figured out.
THANKS! MY TRUCK IS ON THE LOWEST SETTING-STOCK, AND IT STILL KNOCKS,BUT RUNS GREAT,EXCEPT FOR THE GRAY SMOKE UPON START-UP,TIL SHE WARMS UP.IT HAS THE 50 HP INJECTORS.

Quick Reply: Help With Engine Noise !