3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

guages or not

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up guages or not

turbo work and ezperformance on 2003 ho diesel. do i need guages?
Old 12-28-2003, 05:21 PM
DPG

I think that any time you do an engine modification, you should have gauges. They will give you peace of mind. It lets you know what's REALLY going on with your engine when you are pushing it.

JMHO

DeWain

P.S. Please fill in your signature so we know what your truck is like. We can better answer questions if we know what you have. For example, if you have an auto. trans, you should include a tranny temp gauge in your gauge package.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: guages or not

Originally posted by dodgy
turbo work and ezperformance on 2003 ho diesel. do i need guages?
Welcome to the site dodgy,
As DeWain mentioned, filling in your signature with your truck information helps folks when offering advice.
I'm also a firm believer in gauges! I installed mine before I ever made the first mod and they can really show you what is going on. I learned to change my driving habits when towing the 5er and keep my auto tranny from getting quite so hot. The fuel pressure gauge showed me my lift pump was going bad and enabled me to get it replaced before doing damage to the injection pump. (I'm not sure how critical the fuel pressure is on the common rail systems, so I don't know if that is as big of an issue as it is with older 24 valve trucks.)
IMO,,, With your mods, if I where you,,,,,,,,,,, I would invest in gauges.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:47 PM

what guages does anyone recomend
Old 12-28-2003, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally posted by dodgy
what guages does anyone recomend
Well I guess you don't need the transmission temperture gauge!
Maybe some of the folks with the 03-04 trucks can tell you if the fuel pressure gauge is as important as it is in the older 24 vavle motors, but I would think you would want a boost gauge and a EGT gauge at least. I know that after I installed the EZ on mine, along with the boost elbow, I went from 20psi max (stock) to 34psi WOT now. The boost gauge will let me know if one of my hoses or clamps is leaking, not to mention,,,,, the more I keep the boost up,,,,,,,, the less fuel mileage I'm getting!

Depending on what kind of turbo mods you've done, plus the extra fuel that the EZ is putting in,,,,,,, the EGT (pyro) gauge will let you know when to let up on the loud pedal, plus you can see when the temp cools down enough to shut it down.

I've got the Auto Meter Z series and have had real good luck with them so far. They match the dash lighting well also. Most companies are making the white-face gauges to match the new trucks also. You might try contacting some of our advertising vendors for the best info and pricing.

Dennis
Old 12-28-2003, 10:28 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Exclamation Get gauges

Fuel pressure is becoming a concern on the 3rd gens too.
I have seen Rods fuel pressure gauge go to vacuum!
I have felt my truck sputter from lack of fuel a few times @ WOT.
Boost and pyro are good to have for watching for potential problems like a blown intercooler hose will drop boost and shoot the exhaust gas temps up fast...plus a loss in power.

Hope this helps

Scotty