3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Got the VGT today

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VNT on 05:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntGDWAtN9jM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVVZf...e=channel_page
Old 07-31-2009, 12:52 AM

cool..but hand controlled?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 8mpg
cool..but hand controlled?
I think the adjustment is(for max boost levels?), I dont think you have to control it by hand while driving though, still not sure about the exhaust brake enguagement though...
Old 07-31-2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Stacked97
I think the adjustment is(for max boost levels?), I dont think you have to control it by hand while driving though, still not sure about the exhaust brake enguagement though...
I'm not familiar with the Cheeta turbo's. Are the electronics the same as the 6.7? Would be nice if this worked.

Originally Posted by West76
Would it look like this?
What kind of actuator is that? The turbo I have works in the opposite direction, meaning the lever has to go the other way. In your pic it would be wide open, and as the actuator pushes, it would close the collar. Maybe your actuator pulls instead of pushes?

Sorry guys, not alot of progress. I was busy at work all week and helping a friend with an '84 Chevy/12V Cummins project in my free time. As of now, I need to track down a stock 5.9 exhaust manifold to do some modifications on so the turbo will bolt up. Other than that, everything looks to be a go. I really want to be able to go back with the the current turbo I am running, so everything that is on the truck now has to stay relatively unmodded.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:20 PM

From what I was reading on Cummins forum, its basically a 4094 (?) Garrett much like used on Duramax applications. I believe they have the same turbo for the Dmax. Its all fully automatic, like an OEM application would be, but one can use the hand control to set the vanes where they want. They were giving an example of fully open, zero boost at cruise, better mileage. But other than that, its got the vane contols programmed into the unit so it operates without any manual control. And the exhaust brake is much like the 6.7 apparently; hit the button on the front of the controller and when you let off the pedal, it activates. Hit it again to turn it off and it doesnt activate.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i have a stock exhaust manifold if you need it. you can have it for cost of shipping.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:35 PM

Well the turbo is mounted on the exhaust manifold, just waiting for a buddy to come over and help throw it in the truck.

Not going to jump to any expectations, yet. Hopefully I got things at least close to were it will work.

On another note, this was far from the easy bolt on and go turbo I was hoping it would be. It took substantial fabrication to get things to bolt up, and the actuator took about 5 different tries before it even started to look like it would work. The bracket went from a work of art made of SS plate to an ugly patch work of levers and holes in my attemps to get the angle of the spring just right to match the rates.

If all goes well, I'll be posting up video around 7pm or so.

Thanks to CBrahs for the exhaust manifold. Wasn't going to put mine under the knife without a replacement on hand.

Wish me luck!
Old 08-09-2009, 06:03 PM

Yes, def. post, I know there's quiet a few of us kinda anxious to see what goes on! Even though I just bought a HTT lol lol....oh well. Still curious.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:25 PM

the thing about useing a manual wastegate control is if you dont have it set right it will go to exhaust brake and over speed the turbo i was working on a electronic controller with a toggle to lock out exhaust brake or turn it on just my .02
Old 08-09-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by ttcfan4476
the thing about useing a manual wastegate control is if you dont have it set right it will go to exhaust brake and over speed the turbo i was working on a electronic controller with a toggle to lock out exhaust brake or turn it on just my .02

Your assumption about the exhaust brake is one thing that I was fearing. But I went ahead and figured to find a way around this later. Lucky for me, Holset already did. To my suprise, there must be a little notch that the internal lever has to be past to go into exhaust brake mode. No matter how I set the actuator up, it just would not fully seat all the way back to the fully closed position. It would always take a little nudge to "click" it closed the last 1/8 inch. This works out great. Now I can just hook up a manual cable of sorts for the exhaust brake.

OK. Got the thing bolted up finally. Took alot longer than I thought, but my friend and I hadn't seen one another in a long time, so we had to get a few beers deep into catch up before tackling things.

I have to say, this may be the single greatest mod done to my truck, other than the tranny. It sounds unlike anything else at idle and sits in park with 1-2psi of boost. From there boost is literally instant. I hit 17psi just barely cruising, before it shifted to 3rd. Just driving normal. You can hear the collar open up at about 4psi and from there boost is constantly on tap, but the tone of the turbo changes threw out acceleration. Max boost I saw was 36psi, were the old B1 would hit 45.

For now, I can reach under the hood and engage the exhaust brake manually. It really sounds "interesting" when you do that Had the neighbors porch light come on after doing it a couple of times. When the exhaust brake is engaged, there is no boost, it literally shuts the exhaust off. Also it raised the egts to over 500* at idle. I have not hooked up the back pressure gauge, but it's on the list for the week.

Egt's where great, also. At WOT it never went over 1200*, were as the old
B1 would be around 1500*. So there was significant decrease there.

As of now, I have a little tweeking to do on the actuator to get things perfect, install a back pressure gauge, and make a manual exhaust brake cable. Something that mounts on the transfer case shifter is what I am thinking. I got lucky, agian, and found a plug in the side of the block right by the turbo that runs into the coolant jacket. This will work great for the hooking up the coolant for the turbo, which is also on the list to do. And lastly, I will take video and post it up for all to see.

Right now, I'm extremly happy with things. My buddy has an '03 as well, with a Pacbrake and 64/13/71HTT on it and now he wants to sell both and have me set up the same thing on his.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
id like to see a pic of how the actuator is mounted to the turbo...

Sounds like a fun project!

what else was involved in bolting it all up, other then the different flange size of the turbo/manifold?

when rapidly letting off the throttle.... does the turbo bark or overspin?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM

Very interesting. Now I almost wish I had kept my spare 6.7 turbo I had......
Old 08-10-2009, 01:21 PM

We need some pictures, c'mon don't keep us in the dark. Video is ok too.....
Old 08-10-2009, 02:27 PM

I really miss that daggone E-Brake on the 08 I used to have. Almost worth trading my truck back in for one........
Old 08-10-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
after reading this thread yesterday night i ordered a 6.7 vgt turbo, for $112. free shipping... so im looking forward to see some pics and some insight on how to set the boost actuator

ttcfan4476: Id like to hear more about the electronic controller!

Quick Reply: Got the VGT today