3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Got new tranny in but doesn't feel right?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got new tranny in but doesn't feel right?

I just got my new goerend tranny in today but it just doesn't feel right. I know the converter is tighter, but maybe too tight. I have to put my foot on the floor just to get my truck moving. It feels like my parking brake is on all the way the entire time. Any ideas? I'm gonna call dave tomorrow and see what he thinks but I figured I'd get some input from yall first. Any help would be appreciated. I was excited and now I'm bummed out
Old 01-14-2008, 07:57 PM

Are you sure the fluid is full? When I put my tranny in it took a while to work all the air out of the system. How much fluid did you put in so far? Even after the fluid was full on mine it still felt funny to me...kinda felt doggy and seemed like it shifted too soon, but it didnt take long for that to go away. Maybe it just needed to break in.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:10 PM

I'll talk to the guy that put it in tomorrow and i'll check my fluid tomorrow. What fluid did you use?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:21 PM

How far is Stephenville from San Antonio?

Dave told me to use regular Dextron III with a bottle of Lube Guard.

Do you know what converter/ stator he put in for you? That would determine how much low end you lost. I have the 15 blade left cut, and I did notice my low end felt like it vanished. If you only have the Banks, I'd add something with a little more punch, like Smarty. If your close, you can take a ride in my truck to see how it feels, and vise versa... I'd like to see how yours drives, specially if you have a different converter (900/400 etc...)
Old 01-14-2008, 08:33 PM

I used Dextron 4 from Napa. I dont remember the brand off hand. Maybe Valvoline. I know it used a heck of alot more fluid than I expected. I bought napa right out of the stuff.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:34 PM

The problem he's describing doesn't sound like it has to do with the stall of the converter. Sounds like something is wrong.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:35 PM

They used valvoline dextron 4
Old 01-14-2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
The problem he's describing doesn't sound like it has to do with the stall of the converter. Sounds like something is wrong.
Thats what I'm thinking. I know its gonna lose low end, but the thing will barely go
Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Megaramasaur

Do you know what converter/ stator he put in for you? That would determine how much low end you lost. I have the 15 blade left cut, and I did notice my low end felt like it vanished. If you only have the Banks, I'd add something with a little more punch, like Smarty. If your close, you can take a ride in my truck to see how it feels, and vise versa... I'd like to see how yours drives, specially if you have a different converter (900/400 etc...)
Its about 4 or 5 hours away. Ya i'd like to see what its supposed to feel like though. I'm gonna talk to dave tomorrow and see what converter I got and what he thinks is going on
Old 01-14-2008, 09:19 PM

If it doesn't want to go... you don't have enough fluid in it.... If you had a complete tranny shipped from Dave, it doesn't have any fluid in the TC.... with a DD pan, your dumping in like 16+ quarts.... Mine did it when I first got her in, realized that I didn't put all the fluid in, I only put a case in.... I had to go through the gears to get the fluid to fill the TC, then my power was back, luckily I only backed it out of the shop....
Old 01-14-2008, 09:25 PM

well i didnt get the dd pan, but i did get a full tranny. He put 13 quarts in. I'll check my fluid in the morning
Old 01-14-2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by 3500CTD
Are you sure the fluid is full? When I put my tranny in it took a while to work all the air out of the system. How much fluid did you put in so far? Even after the fluid was full on mine it still felt funny to me...kinda felt doggy and seemed like it shifted too soon, but it didnt take long for that to go away. Maybe it just needed to break in.
13 quarts so far
Old 01-14-2008, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Megaramasaur

I know I need to get some more power. I'm trying to sell my banks so I can get a quad and then a smarty to stack. But it still just doesn't feel right. It doesn't seem like it should take that much power just to pull your own weight. Theres no way I can pull a trailer like this
Old 01-14-2008, 09:39 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dextron III and IIII???? I have been putting in ATF+4 into my tranny. Now I have put in Dextron and Lube Guard. But the price work out pretty much the same, so I figured I'll just stick to ATF+4.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 PM

13 quarts isnt enough... my TC took like 8 quarts on its own, with my DD pan, i put back in almost 18 quarts. the stock pan holds 7-8 quarts by itself if im not mistaken

Quick Reply: Got new tranny in but doesn't feel right?