3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Got the Fass on (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the Fass on (pics)

We got the Fass installed friday night. We had to improvise a bit since the mounting instructions and pictures did not match up with what was under my truck, but that was no big deal. I suspect it has something to do with the kit being for an 04 and my truck is an 04.5?

I'm pretty impressed with this system. I put 300 miles on it yesterday and it was flawless. My only concern is that even though the mount is very sturdy, the Fass is not light and it does allow some very very slight movement. I could possibly see over time and a lot of driving on rough surfaces it causing enough metal fatigue to come loose. This week I will try to fab another mounting support just for extra security and a plate that will enclose the sysem to protect it from road debris... It is also not reading any higher FP than my stock LP was, but I have just about concluded that this is do to a probem with my FP sender and not the Fass. BTW, you can see a piece of old inner tube between the filler hose and the top of the fass, they were touching ever so slightly, so that was my temporary fix.

You can just barely see the water separator..
Old 07-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Banned

Looks great man!

I wouldnt worry about the bracket failing though, it is the same setup used on the KORE baja trucks, if it was going to break, they would break it.

just my 2 pennies.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by SPEEDSHIFT
Looks great man!

I wouldnt worry about the bracket failing though, it is the same setup used on the KORE baja trucks, if it was going to break, they would break it.

just my 2 pennies.

Thanks, bro! I can't really take any credit because I was just there for some emotional and financial support, I didn't do much of the install, it was mostly my Cummins tech. I wouldn't say that I'm worried about it falling off, it's just that it would be so easy to make it stronger that I can't resist. I have a buddy that is an awesome machinist and I can't wait to see how it looks if he thinks he can fab up a nice support/protection bracket.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:14 PM

Great settup...but arent you worried about the rocks, dirt, mud, sand ect. comming off your tires? Let us know how that works out. Not much room under my bed either.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by 35" 05'
Great settup...but arent you worried about the rocks, dirt, mud, sand ect. comming off your tires? Let us know how that works out. Not much room under my bed either.
Good point. Throw a set of Mopar Fender Well Liners on there and that would be an awesome setup.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by coolslice
Thanks, bro! I can't really take any credit because I was just there for some emotional and financial support, I didn't do much of the install, it was mostly my Cummins tech. I wouldn't say that I'm worried about it falling off, it's just that it would be so easy to make it stronger that I can't resist. I have a buddy that is an awesome machinist and I can't wait to see how it looks if he thinks he can fab up a nice support/protection bracket.
True true, its always cool to have custom stuff.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:29 PM

We took some measurements a couple of hours ago. He will probably have something fabbed up in a couple of days for protection. I will post pics when it's done. BTW- It was my isolator that was messing with my FP gauge. I guess the water/antifreeze has leaked out or dried up over time. I refilled it and bam-15.5 psi...

I should also mention that I was terrified that the FASS pump would be very loud like some of the videos I have seen. Mine is whisper quiet.. If you didn't know what to listen for then you would never notice it.. The born on date is 6/8/07, so when they tell you the new ones are quiet they mean it.

I appreciate all the help and advice you guys have given, especially Diesel Dan who set me straight. On to my next project- the transmission... And you thought I had a hard time making a decision on a new fuel system, this one has got me losing sleep.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:08 PM

How hard was the install? I think a fuel system is my next step, but I am torn between the $400 Glacier or the $600 FASS. I am interested to see how you like your FASS and if you notice any gains/losses with it.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Patriot2500
How hard was the install? I think a fuel system is my next step, but I am torn between the $400 Glacier or the $600 FASS. I am interested to see how you like your FASS and if you notice any gains/losses with it.
The install would be a pain if you are just a mechanical novice like me with basic tools. I feel that it would be equally as hard with just about any other setup though. I figured with this type of project and all that could go wrong, it's worth it to pay someone who knows what they are doing, knows the truck, knows the Fass, and has the proper tools. It's fairly involved and if your were to get stuck then it's hard to turn back. We had to drop the tank and all that so it's definitely better to have 2 people and a lift will make some of it much easier.

To be honest, I went round and round about which system to get. I was VERY close to going with the Airdog. I kinda of ruled out the Glacier early on. I did so based on my personal opinion of that system vs. the competition but many people seem to love it, I just felt like the Fass and Airdog were a proven setup made for our trucks, not to them. JMO.

As far as gains go.....So far I would have to say that it won't change your life. There have been no super obvious differences. I do have much more FP, at this point I would say there is a very slight MPG improvement and it might run just a little smoother at cruising speeds. I don't think my engine is any quieter like some claim. Bottom line is that I would do it all over again the same way and I have better peace of mind. IMO, you can't go wrong with the Airdog either. I have no experience with it, but it's basically the same thing.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:07 PM

You made the right choice. The FASS systems are good stuff.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:57 AM

Great install......those SB are not the easiest....

ALSO...you have a 3um Fuel filter on there. Ya know that? The red lettering means its our 3 micron filters.....
Old 07-18-2007, 08:09 PM

Diesel-Dan, at what mileage do you recommend changing the fuel filter on the FASS 150/95 system? What about the water seperator? I had a FASS system installed last week, but didn't get any literature on filter change intervals. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:24 PM

Thinking of going with the Fass aswell. I had a bad batch of fuel and it coast me about $300 after the flush and all. Pluse Im also installing a 91 galon tank so I dont want to have anything to happen.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Oilburner04
Diesel-Dan, at what mileage do you recommend changing the fuel filter on the FASS 150/95 system? What about the water seperator? I had a FASS system installed last week, but didn't get any literature on filter change intervals. Thanks in advance!
40,000-60,000 mile change for the fuel filter (We have had some go even further....). You can actually back flush the water separator if you want since its a SS 140um Screen. Gas works or some sort of solvent.....
Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dan
Great install......those SB are not the easiest....

ALSO...you have a 3um Fuel filter on there. Ya know that? The red lettering means its our 3 micron filters.....
Yes, I intentionally put the 3 micron filter on there. I didn't see much point in using the 10.

A buddy of mine made an aluminum guard that he mounted up on the Fass bracket. I'll post up a pic in the next day or so, it's dumping rain here right now.

Quick Reply: Got the Fass on (pics)