3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Goerend, Ats or a Dunrite transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goerend, Ats or a Dunrite transmission?

I have 109,000miles on my truck and i am starting to get tranny slip. I am thinking about a tq converter, input shaft, valve body, and flex plate. I drive the truck daily empty most of the time. I do have a 14000 lbs gvw trailer i tow and a boat. My truck weights in at 7494lbs. What are your opinions on the trannys. I would like pros and cons of them, not trying to start a brand war. Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM

I'm sure you will get plenty of responses from those with actual experience with these products. However, considering I am going to be in the market for a much improved aftermarket tranny here in the very near future I have been keeping a close eye on these threads. That said, I have yet to see anything but positive feedback from users of Goerend products and service.
I would be going this same route. However, considering how close I am to Garmon's Diesel near ATL, Georgia; I will be going with him.

Good luck...this is a major financial invenstment. You certainly want to make sure you are getting a quality product (and support)! Again, Goerend is the direction I would go!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Any of those will work well for you...I think the key is to pick the closest one and prepare to go directly to them for the install....I wish I had it would have saved me a lot of hassle dealing with a guy who was "supposed" to be capable of installing their stuff.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Any of those will work well for you...I think the key is to pick the closest one and prepare to go directly to them for the install....I wish I had it would have saved me a lot of hassle dealing with a guy who was "supposed" to be capable of installing their stuff.
Ditto....being able to go to them directly for the install/testing is key in my opinion!
Old 03-16-2012, 01:51 PM

you guys are right but who is near n.e ohio that does a good job? i cant really drive half way across country to get a tranny installed thats where i am at now.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by thor1721
you guys are right but who is near n.e ohio that does a good job? i cant really drive half way across country to get a tranny installed thats where i am at now.
Generally I have found that if you reach out to these manufactures, they will have a network of qulaified shops they would suggest using that would be within your reach.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by cstewart
Generally I have found that if you reach out to these manufactures, they will have a network of qulaified shops they would suggest using that would be within your reach.
I went that route and traveled to a "qualified shop" my choice of transmissions sent me to...they ended up tearing the valve body apart so they could "see what was in it" then changing a couple things because it wasn't how the manufacturer did it they did same thing to my clutch pack which was custom made to hold more clutches......

When it is all said and done it all comes down to the actual person doing the install, if you go to the source you KNOW that guy is aware of the way to do it right!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I went that route and traveled to a "qualified shop" my choice of transmissions sent me to...they ended up tearing the valve body apart so they could "see what was in it" then changing a couple things because it wasn't how the manufacturer did it they did same thing to my clutch pack which was custom made to hold more clutches......

When it is all said and done it all comes down to the actual person doing the install, if you go to the source you KNOW that guy is aware of the way to do it right!
LOL, that is classic... I'll have to remember that one. Guy I had install my parts wanted to open up the valve body also. Told him if he did, I would break his fingers...LOL
Old 03-17-2012, 04:38 AM

I concur with Lary Ellis. I am in Colorado, that is the main reason why I went with a ATS tranny. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to make this same decision a while back. Was in Idaho with no reputable installers around. Choose Goerend and chose to install myself. They actually shipped me the tranny with the goodies I wanted. I have no experience swapping a transmission but had access to a lift and tools. It was seriously easy if you're swapping the entire transmission. Also, Dave Goerend, made himself available to answer any of my noob questions almost any time of day as I was doing the install. IMO, location shouldn't be a limiting factor when deciding on a transmission with quality and longevity in mind. However, understandable if you've got no mechanical skills whatsoever.
Oh, one more thing, another major reason I chose Goerend is his warranty. Not sure about now but at the time his warranty was the best after all my research. Warranty, IMO, is also very important when choosing a transmission since it's the weak link in the power train. Hope this helps!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 AM

Georend
Old 03-18-2012, 11:59 AM
KKB

Goerend. I had Dave install mine and it has been flawless.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just did mine also and was in the same boat as you are.

I am a warranty rep by trade, and I know warranties. I wanted the builder to install the trans. Even though I thought I could do a swap easy enough, they want to know pressures after the install and want to test drive it... For my money, driving half a day and waiting for them to do it was worth it to me.

Goerend gave me a car and I spent some time at a few local breweries while they did the hard work. In the morning I picked up my truck and went back home.

So far my Goerend is fab! I only have about 10K on it, but it does what it's supposed to do.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
My recommendation is "ATS." I have been running their transmissions in my Dodge CTD Trucks since 1999 with excellent reliability and service. They offer one of the best warranties in the business and you can look at my signature to see the kind of power the ATS Transmissions can handle.

You can go to their website to find a dealer close to you:

www.atsdiesel.com

Good luck!

--------
John_P
Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 PM

thanks guys i am going to make some phone calls and find out whats what thanks a million

Quick Reply: Goerend, Ats or a Dunrite transmission?