3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

glacier fuel system has low fuel pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glacier fuel system has low fuel pressure?

my comp glacier system is only reading about 7psi and normally reads about 18-21. is it just the cold weather since it is about ten degrees outside or what do you guys think is my issue? I checked the pump and it seems to be running fine and I changed the fuel filter in the stock canister and doesnt really change much. I took the inline strainer off also and it doesnt seemed to be clogged. you can blow air thru it. any info would be appreciated. I havent had issues with this fuel system and im not trying to bash on glacier diesel in any way. I just want to fix the issues of low pressure is all I want to do.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:33 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What do you have for a pressure guage, and at what point ( location ) are you reading pressure?
Old 01-20-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you take the bypass apart and clean it?
Old 01-20-2008, 06:39 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Either that, or I was thinking that the isolator line on the guage is freezing!
Old 01-20-2008, 06:47 PM

How does the truck feel to be running? The times mine has done the same thing it has been the filters. 2 of 3 times my pressure has gone down it was the strainer between my tank and pump.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude
What do you have for a pressure guage, and at what point ( location ) are you reading pressure?
it is the dipricol 30 psi fuel pressure gauge. it reads off the pump then has the isolator that runs antifreeze into the cab.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by JP-4.5
How does the truck feel to be running? The times mine has done the same thing it has been the filters. 2 of 3 times my pressure has gone down it was the strainer between my tank and pump.
the little inline strainer that is like a fleetguard? I plan to get a couple new ones when I can. when I took it apart the local napa that has them was closed. I had a spare and gave it to a buddy that was having problems
Old 01-20-2008, 10:14 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Does the truck "run" like it has weak fuel pressure? May try a different guage, but it could be the filter too. You can get the inline strainer about anywhere. I keep an extra in the truck, as well as an extra for the factory canister too.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Loose the isolator, run the FP line directly to the gage. They are notorious for failing or getting weak. 90% chance this is your problem with no loss of FP. However, cold weather can cause a few PSI difference, but Indiana is getting real cold right now. Make sure you have added an anti gelling additive like PS.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
Loose the isolator, run the FP line directly to the gage. They are notorious for failing or getting weak. 90% chance this is your problem with no loss of FP. However, cold weather can cause a few PSI difference, but Indiana is getting real cold right now. Make sure you have added an anti gelling additive like PS.
will do on the power service. I need to put some in there, havent ran any lately. thanks for all the help guys, I really do appreciate it. . I havent ran the truck really hard, but I got on it good today and it seems to run fine. my friend has issues with his isspro fuel pressure gauge and removed it
Old 01-20-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had a very similar issue and it was the the antifreeze had leaked and the top reservoir in the isolator was empty, read about 7psi max, until I refilled it then back to 20psi.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:48 AM

4 degrees this morning.......fuel pressure read 0 all the way to work. friday when it was 30 degrees out it read 10psi and was working fine. truck ran fine.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by jwb600
the little inline strainer that is like a fleetguard? I plan to get a couple new ones when I can. when I took it apart the local napa that has them was closed. I had a spare and gave it to a buddy that was having problems
Strainer is Fleetguard#FF5079 I buy them from a local cummins shop. Be carefule with some of the same style from auto store as they may have paper filter media and clog up quicker that the fleetguards will as the fleetguards use a stianless screen. Glad I keep extras in my truck as I lost fuel pressure this morning when I went to leave my office. Made it about a 1/2 mile up the road and truck died. Changed this pre-filter out and had 19lbs of fuel pressure again and headed down the road. It has to be when it is cold and the filter is somewhat clogged up that they gel up? It was not even that cold this morning 20-25 degrees? I am running an electic pressure guage with sensor mounted in the line going to my CP3.

I wish they made a spin on style like this just to make changing it out easier and less of a mess.

JWB, Did you determine what was causing your low fuel pressure?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by JP-4.5
Strainer is Fleetguard#FF5079 I buy them from a local cummins shop. Be carefule with some of the same style from auto store as they may have paper filter media and clog up quicker that the fleetguards will as the fleetguards use a stianless screen. Glad I keep extras in my truck as I lost fuel pressure this morning when I went to leave my office. Made it about a 1/2 mile up the road and truck died. Changed this pre-filter out and had 19lbs of fuel pressure again and headed down the road. It has to be when it is cold and the filter is somewhat clogged up that they gel up? It was not even that cold this morning 20-25 degrees? I am running an electic pressure guage with sensor mounted in the line going to my CP3.

I wish they made a spin on style like this just to make changing it out easier and less of a mess.

JWB, Did you determine what was causing your low fuel pressure?
not yet. I have been gone for a couple days with work and havent had time. if im not to tired today im going to change the strainer out with a new one. thank you for the part number. I had it off the other night and checked it out but I will get some new ones today when I get out
Old 01-28-2008, 03:26 AM

well my problem was simple. when I got home this morning I took my isolater apart and it was about half full of coolant. I filled it up and put it back together and now my gauge shows 20 psi again. I did talk to richard and he said he figured it was something to do with the isolater. thanks to the guy who said check the coolant in it because you were right