3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:02 AM
wrm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was thing about what bluebull said earlier in post so i looked at pictures of valve an the threads are long like the stock plug the difference being the plug comes all the way out allowing more oil to drain.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 AM

I guess it all depends where you change your oil, if your at home on the driveway I would spend the money. Luckily some of us have shops with lifts to use, it seems to take for ever to drain with the drain plug out, so I couldn't image the extra time with the restriction of that style plug. But like I said if I had to do mine at home in the driveway I would probably buy on.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:03 AM

I bought the valve from Geno's with the hose that as it screws on opens the valve. I think its call the EZ drain or something like that. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I liked the fact it doesn't hang down any. I do a lot of offroading and a rock or stick kicked up just right could ruin my day real fast with the Fumoto.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocketJohn
I wouldn't want to either, but guess what, the valve goes where your drain plug goes... i'm confused why you think it would leave any more or less oil than the stock plug???
The deeper the threads go up into the oil pan the more oil that's left in the pan. The fumoto plug is esentially a bolt with a hole drilled through it. So for the oil to drain completely you would have to take the fumoto all the way out or at least loosen it enough for the oil to seep around the threads.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:42 PM

I have the ez chamge like ptgarcia.Love it.I really like the fact that it doesn't hang down below the pan.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by bluebull
The fumoto is a great idea but in principal you still have to take it out if you want to drain all the oil. It sticks up inside the pan a little. I've heard about a quart is left in the pan. Don't know from experience, just passing along what I've heard.
Not any moor I have had one on my truck after first oil change and it makes Life so much nicer.NO mess I did however add about four inch's to the over all length with a new hose.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Miles PH
Not any moor I have had one on my truck after first oil change and it makes Life so much nicer.NO mess I did however add about four inch's to the over all length with a new hose.
Do you have a link with pictures?
Did they drill a hole in the side of the threads so all the oil drains out?
Old 03-01-2007, 04:46 PM

I have one that I don't need. Anyone want to buy it?
Old 03-01-2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Guardrail
I have one that I don't need. Anyone want to buy it?
wish you would of chimed in about 3 hours ago, I ordered mine from Genos today Got a buddy that may want it though, how much you want for it?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Chapter President

As far as draining goes... isn't there a full size nut welded on the inside of the pan to take any drain plug?? Someone compare the thread depth on the stock and Fumoto plugs.

thanks Jamie
Old 03-01-2007, 05:58 PM
wrm

the stock plug sticks up in the pan, but comes all the way out of the pan, so the oil drains down to the bottom. fumoto sticks up with a hole in the end that means the oil will only drain down to the hole leaving dirty oil between the top hole in the fumoto an the bottom of the pan that might be as much as a quart.i have not had my hands on a fumoto but thats what the pictures look like to me.if im wrong someone let me know because i want one of these but im not going to leave a quart of dirty oil in my truck every time i change the oil even if it is clean an easy.if there is a nut on the inside of the pan that would be a bad design the nut is usally on the outside or there is a small low spot where the plug goes into the pan to limit the amount of dirty oil left in the pan.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:39 PM

There has to be a thickened lip on the inside of the pan at the bolt hole because on my '06 there isn't one on the outside. In fact, the bolt hole is actually recessed into the pan a fraction of an inch.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Banned

I have not inspected the 06 truck yet but the other dodge cummins I had the nut or looked more like bent up flange had slots cut into them so the oil would drain out completely.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:57 PM

Wouldnt really worry about the little bit left inside. The turbo keeps some oil anyways. If your really worried, just park the truck on a slight incline or just driil the top of the fumoto valve.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by wrm
the stock plug sticks up in the pan, but comes all the way out of the pan, so the oil drains down to the bottom. fumoto sticks up with a hole in the end that means the oil will only drain down to the hole leaving dirty oil between the top hole in the fumoto an the bottom of the pan that might be as much as a quart.i have not had my hands on a fumoto but thats what the pictures look like to me.if im wrong someone let me know because i want one of these but im not going to leave a quart of dirty oil in my truck every time i change the oil even if it is clean an easy.if there is a nut on the inside of the pan that would be a bad design the nut is usally on the outside or there is a small low spot where the plug goes into the pan to limit the amount of dirty oil left in the pan.
Just from what I remember from changing my own oil, the nut is at least 1/2" thick on the inside. I would run a paper tower up in there to clean out the old oil out of the threads before putting the plug back in. Based on that I didn't think the threads on the fumoto plug would make much of a difference.

Jamie

Quick Reply: Fumoto Oil Drain Valve