3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Fluttering Boost Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mpracehemi
my boost gauge will go nuts at times when jumpin' on it.....I read the posts and it makes sense that the wg is open/closing, even thou I have a vacuum wg.
I'll be waiting to hear the explanation on that one.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have autometer gauges also (and love them-diehard ). I have twins turbos and my boost gauge will go nuts at times when jumpin' on it.....I read the posts and it makes sense that the wg is open/closing, even thou I have a vacuum wg. Since I've adjusted the wg to keep closed longer, I haven't had the gauge go nuts.
How do you have a vacuum WG? Never heard of that setup, so I am quite curious.

Originally Posted by Ace
I'll be waiting to hear the explanation on that one.
all you want, boost is steady, valve operation doesn't effect the readings on the gauge. I have run 6 different boost gauges in 2 spots on my truck, mechanical and electronic, none fluctuate except at WG operation (especially on a 04.5-07 because of the command valve that applies ~30 psi to a 24psi WG, it slams open, then shut as soon as the command valve closes), but the boost is steady. Even DP is steady, and it has much more pulsing than intake. The only one I had fluctuate was defective.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Ace
Banned

Originally Posted by AH64ID
How do you have a vacuum WG? Never heard of that setup, so I am quite curious.
The things you haven't heard of would obviously fill volumes. So I take it you won't be explaining this one?
Old 07-24-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ace
The things you haven't heard of would obviously fill volumes. So I take it you won't be explaining this one?
Explaining no, hence the ?.. Simple feature of the English language, it allows us to ask about something with which were unclear, you should try it sometime.

Did somebody pee in your Wheaties today? Or did you forget your medication...
Old 07-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Ace
Banned

You're the one claiming to know all about this phenomenon, not me.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:32 PM

Not sure its phenomenon when its how it should be.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghamilton
I just installed a set of Autometer Factory Match Gauges and love them with one exception. The boost gauge is fluttering when I get on it hard at about 30 lbs. What causes this? We tried two different ports, one up front and then moved it to the back and still have the fluttering. Bad gauge?

Thanks guys. I'm new to all this.

Greg.
I have the same exact gauges. Had the same exact problem.

Originally Posted by Ace
I cured that problem by moving the boost gauge tap from a boost bolt in the manifold to the intake horn. Not sure it that is what you mean by "we tried two different ports..."
This cured it.

Ditch the banjo bolt and tap the manifold. Being a deleted 6.7 guy I only had to tap the EGR blocker plate.

Gauge is rock solid now...
Old 07-25-2010, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ace & AH64ID haven't you A-Holes ever worked on honey dues and don't use a computer for a day or 2??

You got me when I stated vacuum which should of been pressure...But the rest is what I experienced on my gauge, it doesn't flutter at all since I did and adjustment on the wg (mech.).
Old 07-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Banned

Its the gauge and how its working. Put a snubber in and see if that helps or replace it. The Isspro gauges don't have this problem in any of the areas unless the gauge is the problem.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Ace
Banned

Ace & AH64ID haven't you A-Holes ever worked on honey dues and don't use a computer for a day or 2??
Sorry just onery, I guess. I'm working night shift now too, so that the standard excuse for my disposition this week.
You got me when I stated vacuum which should of been pressure...
I knew that's what you meant.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:36 PM

Sorry as well.. We got derailed.

No hard feelings Ace.

You got me when I stated vacuum which should of been pressure...But the rest is what I experienced on my gauge, it doesn't flutter at all since I did and adjustment on the wg (mech.).
Wasn't trying to "get" you.. thought it may have been something new. Sounds like yours was opening before there was enough air to lite the bottom turbo. Simple fixes are great, aren't they!

The WG on the 04.5-07's is still mechanical, same WG as 03-04, it just doesn't see air all the time, so it can fluctuate pretty hard, otherwise should be smooth.