3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: How would you fix the Dodge HPCR injector problem? Assume you can find the bad one.
Replace with a stock injector and hope it doesn't fail.
12.00%
Pull all of the injectors to be flow tested and repaired if necessary.
4.00%
Replace all of the injectors with mild extrude hone injectors.
8.00%
Replace all of the injectors with 100hp+ extrude hone injectors.
8.00%
Replace all of the injectors with mild EDM injectors.
24.00%
Replace all of the injectors with 100hp+ EDM injectors.
32.00%
Hope that Dodge will soon offer a performance injector upgrade and wait.
12.00%
Other? Please post.......
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Fixing the Dodge HPCR injector problem yourself?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixing the Dodge HPCR injector problem yourself?!

After the past several months of people posting fuel injector problems and engine knocking sounds related to the fuel injectors, I'm thoroughly convinced there is a real and serious problem with our diesel injectors in the 03 and newer trucks. If left alone, there is a given chance that it could get worse and destroy the engine. And sadly, Dodge is doing nothing to acknowledge it and still calls it normal. Shoot I've had my truck to dealer several times now with the knock sound and lower mileage, and I'm sick of wasting my time with these people.

Essentially, I want to fix this problem myself to put it behind me. The question is how. Please feel free vote in this poll to help me out here. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2004, 08:40 PM

After the past several months of people posting fuel injector problems and engine knocking sounds related to the fuel injectors, I'm thoroughly convinced there is a real and serious problem with our diesel injectors in the 03 and newer trucks. If left alone, there is a given chance that it could get worse and destroy the engine. And sadly, Dodge is doing nothing to acknowledge it and still calls it normal. Shoot I've had my truck to dealer several times now with the knock sound and lower mileage, and I'm sick of wasting my time with these people.

Essentially, I want to fix this problem myself to put it behind me. The question is how. Please feel free vote in this poll to help me out here. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2004, 09:06 PM

you forgot the "hit it with a hammer" option
Old 09-01-2004, 11:52 PM

I agree there seems to be an inordinate about of injector problems lately, however there are also a lot more trucks being sold than there used to be. In addition, there's simply more than can go wrong in an electronically controlled injector. I don't think this poses a huge reliability issue, though, because most likely if an injector is going to fail, it will certainly do it before the warranty period has expired, otherwise it will probably go millions of miles. That said, I voted for the mild EDM's, simply because they are better and I plan to put in a set eventually even if my stock '05 injectors work perfectly.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:42 AM

Do you think pressure boxes are having any ill effects on the newer injectors? Or Are they helping with the added pressure, maybe somehow passing small particales?
Old 09-02-2004, 08:31 AM

Well, I'm no expert here, but I can see having problems of either clogged injectors or having injectors sticking open and leaking. It's conceivable that a pressure box could blow out some clogging particulate matter with the higher fuel pressures. However, I generally believe that a pressure-type fueling box will add operating stress to the injectors and aggravate the injector problem.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:37 AM

How often are you changeing your fuel filter and do you ever run diesel addative in your fuel.
I had a rough idle once and ever since I add addative every 5 or 6 tanks and no more problems
Old 09-02-2004, 10:43 AM

I add Power Systems Diesel KLEEN every 5000 miles and make sure there is no water in the fuel separator at that time. At 25K miles, I might change out the fuel filter to one of those micron-sized filter pore ones.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:50 AM

Change fuel filter every 10k miles. DRAIN Fuel/Water Seperator EVERY fill-up. Use Rotella DFA every other fill up. Changing to Diesel KLEEN shortly and changing service stations to get better fuel.

#3 Injector replaced on Wednesday, Sep 1, 2004 at 17800 miles (04 2500 305/555 engine) for motor-knock when warm. Yeah, sounded like a piston/rod was coming out of the block.

Dealership fixed problem, no questions asked. They were a "Breath of fresh Air!" They've also ordered new front door rubber trim/gaskets under the TSB.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:57 AM

i've started to have an injector knocking a little, but only at idle, low rpm loads. on a warm engine, i can create the knock real easially in 4th gear and letting the truck roll slow so the idle control takes over and starts to fuel. you can hear the knock then, but i still just see it as an annoyance than anything else...

i'll see the dealer about it someday
Old 09-04-2004, 04:25 PM

i hear that new EDM stage 3's make that knock away ?!?!

Really though, I hear the knock sometimes, and have no plans on fixing yet... I will wait till i need something else and do it all at once