3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First Cummins ever, converted from PS

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Cummins ever, converted from PS

Hey guys, I recently bought a 2006 2500. I am looking to get a good 5-7 years out of it. I'm not looking to blow the Pistons out and slam 700hp to the wheels. I simply want a little bit more pick up then it currently has. I haul gym equipment and concrete materials for the most part. So it's not like I'm hauling trailers and need a heavy duty transmission, but not opposed to beefing it up a bit either. So off the top of my head I'm looking at head studs, a programmer/tune, I like the sound of a wicked wheel too, and an intake or somethings you guys might suggest. I'm also under the assumption that the 5.9 in 06 didn't have an egr to worry about and that the dpf wasn't introduced until the 6.7??
Old 01-26-2016, 09:01 PM

Can't talk about any performance upgrades other than a turbo back exhaust but yes the DPF did not choke any 5.9s as it did not get introduced until the 6.7
Old 01-27-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
head studs are a good ideal, but the only thing you need to do is get EFI live and i think that will get you the power you are looking. the wicked wheel doesnt really do anything other then sound, but if sound is all you are looking for, then go for it. stock intake is good to around 500hp, so i would leave it stock and only use stock filters, no k&n filters. changing your exhaust wont really do anything for you either.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Equalizer 2
Can't talk about any performance upgrades other than a turbo back exhaust but yes the DPF did not choke any 5.9s as it did not get introduced until the 6.7

Thank you, also 06 didn't have egr either or am I incorrect?
Old 01-27-2016, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by CRF450R RIDER
head studs are a good ideal, but the only thing you need to do is get EFI live and i think that will get you the power you are looking. the wicked wheel doesnt really do anything other then sound, but if sound is all you are looking for, then go for it. stock intake is good to around 500hp, so i would leave it stock and only use stock filters, no k&n filters. changing your exhaust wont really do anything for you either.

Thank you. I think I'll head stud it and do the EFI, is there anything I need to do to bulletproof it. I've read a lot about common rails needing replaced? Any transmission work you'd suggest?
Old 01-27-2016, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by incrediblehulk
Thank you, also 06 didn't have egr either or am I incorrect?
Can't say anything about the EGR as I have no idea.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:11 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by incrediblehulk
Thank you. I think I'll head stud it and do the EFI, is there anything I need to do to bulletproof it. I've read a lot about common rails needing replaced? Any transmission work you'd suggest?

Congrats on your purchase. The EFI live suggestion is a good one and you can get a mild tune that fits you.

Head studs at the power levels you are looking at are an unnecessary expense. Unless you are going to see 50+ psi out of your turbo, you are GTG. There is a torque sequence available somewhere to get a few more lbft out of the stock bolts and improve what you already have.

The common rail does not need to be replaced. The #4 line sometimes fails and needs replacement. The injectors are perhaps the weakest link.

Do some thread searching here for tranny upgrades. The torque converter being the biggest improvement you could make.

On the whole, you can through the EFI live do about a 100hp increase without having to upgrade anything else. That is subjective on how you use your vehicle and assumes good working order on all parts.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:15 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Also, the 06 has what is referred to as "in-cylinder" EGR. The cam is made in such a way as to help with EGR and is therefore a little restrictive. An aftermarket cam eliminates that.

I mentioned above the 100hp... if you are looking past that, then there are a host of fuel and turbo and transmission upgrades you will then have to put in place to support that HP.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:58 PM

Thanks for you help 1SG!
Old 02-02-2016, 12:38 AM

Like soulezoo said. Studs aren't needed until over 50 psi boost. Get a torque converter, shift kit, and a good 100hp efi live tune. You will be set.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by FastTaco
Like soulezoo said. Studs aren't needed until over 50 psi boost. Get a torque converter, shift kit, and a good 100hp efi live tune. You will be set.
Thank you.