Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   First Cummins ever, converted from PS (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/first-cummins-ever-converted-ps-324152/)

incrediblehulk 01-26-2016 06:11 PM

First Cummins ever, converted from PS

Hey guys, I recently bought a 2006 2500. I am looking to get a good 5-7 years out of it. I'm not looking to blow the Pistons out and slam 700hp to the wheels. I simply want a little bit more pick up then it currently has. I haul gym equipment and concrete materials for the most part. So it's not like I'm hauling trailers and need a heavy duty transmission, but not opposed to beefing it up a bit either. So off the top of my head I'm looking at head studs, a programmer/tune, I like the sound of a wicked wheel too, and an intake or somethings you guys might suggest. I'm also under the assumption that the 5.9 in 06 didn't have an egr to worry about and that the dpf wasn't introduced until the 6.7??

Equalizer 2 01-26-2016 09:01 PM

Can't talk about any performance upgrades other than a turbo back exhaust but yes the DPF did not choke any 5.9s as it did not get introduced until the 6.7

CRF450R RIDER 01-27-2016 09:12 AM

head studs are a good ideal, but the only thing you need to do is get EFI live and i think that will get you the power you are looking. the wicked wheel doesnt really do anything other then sound, but if sound is all you are looking for, then go for it. stock intake is good to around 500hp, so i would leave it stock and only use stock filters, no k&n filters. changing your exhaust wont really do anything for you either.

incrediblehulk 01-27-2016 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Equalizer 2 (Post 3295456)
Can't talk about any performance upgrades other than a turbo back exhaust but yes the DPF did not choke any 5.9s as it did not get introduced until the 6.7

Thank you, also 06 didn't have egr either or am I incorrect?

incrediblehulk 01-27-2016 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by CRF450R RIDER (Post 3295490)
head studs are a good ideal, but the only thing you need to do is get EFI live and i think that will get you the power you are looking. the wicked wheel doesnt really do anything other then sound, but if sound is all you are looking for, then go for it. stock intake is good to around 500hp, so i would leave it stock and only use stock filters, no k&n filters. changing your exhaust wont really do anything for you either.

Thank you. I think I'll head stud it and do the EFI, is there anything I need to do to bulletproof it. I've read a lot about common rails needing replaced? Any transmission work you'd suggest?

Equalizer 2 01-27-2016 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by incrediblehulk (Post 3295493)
Thank you, also 06 didn't have egr either or am I incorrect?

Can't say anything about the EGR as I have no idea.

soulezoo 02-01-2016 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by incrediblehulk (Post 3295494)
Thank you. I think I'll head stud it and do the EFI, is there anything I need to do to bulletproof it. I've read a lot about common rails needing replaced? Any transmission work you'd suggest?

Congrats on your purchase. The EFI live suggestion is a good one and you can get a mild tune that fits you.

Head studs at the power levels you are looking at are an unnecessary expense. Unless you are going to see 50+ psi out of your turbo, you are GTG. There is a torque sequence available somewhere to get a few more lbft out of the stock bolts and improve what you already have.

The common rail does not need to be replaced. The #4 line sometimes fails and needs replacement. The injectors are perhaps the weakest link.

Do some thread searching here for tranny upgrades. The torque converter being the biggest improvement you could make.

On the whole, you can through the EFI live do about a 100hp increase without having to upgrade anything else. That is subjective on how you use your vehicle and assumes good working order on all parts.

soulezoo 02-01-2016 11:15 AM

Also, the 06 has what is referred to as "in-cylinder" EGR. The cam is made in such a way as to help with EGR and is therefore a little restrictive. An aftermarket cam eliminates that.

I mentioned above the 100hp... if you are looking past that, then there are a host of fuel and turbo and transmission upgrades you will then have to put in place to support that HP.

incrediblehulk 02-01-2016 07:58 PM

Thanks for you help 1SG!

FastTaco 02-02-2016 12:38 AM

Like soulezoo said. Studs aren't needed until over 50 psi boost. Get a torque converter, shift kit, and a good 100hp efi live tune. You will be set.

incrediblehulk 02-02-2016 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by FastTaco (Post 3295839)
Like soulezoo said. Studs aren't needed until over 50 psi boost. Get a torque converter, shift kit, and a good 100hp efi live tune. You will be set.

Thank you.