3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finding the ECM

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finding the ECM

Can someone point me to the ECM on my 04?

Specifically I need to find pin 29 on the C2 block...

Thanks. I looked around a little and discovered there are a bunch of wires and connector blocks in there and the (even remote) possibility of tapping the wrong wire began to concern me.

thanx
Old 03-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Not sure how you would tap it by reaching in for it.
The ECM is on the drivers side bolted to the engine block. Its rectangluar shaped and some are painted black and some are bare metal. As far as I know there is only one plug to the ECM on a Ram. You can undo the fasteners on the plug and remove the plug, that should give you the access you need.

I would also disconnect the batteries if you have not already decided to do that.

Exhaust brake or high idler?
Old 03-02-2004, 07:52 PM

As far as I know there is only one plug to the ECM on a Ram.
Haven't even looked at your own ECM yet... and you've had the truck how long...
Old 03-02-2004, 07:57 PM

X-monitor trans temp...

Anyone who has done this, a picture would be valuable.

The X-montor comes with a spiffy little device to tap the right wire if I can ID it. I promise I'll post pics of it all when I finish. Ironically I thought trans temp off the ECM would be a snap... until the instructions arrived. I've got a picture of the right boost bolt. I'm going post-turbo and dropping the elbow to weld a flange should be a snap. I'm just stuck on finding the right dang wire and the friendly folks at BD decided to name the module (ECM) and pin out... put just skip any kind of picture
Old 03-03-2004, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by davelinde
X-monitor trans temp...

Anyone who has done this, a picture would be valuable.

The X-montor comes with a spiffy little device to tap the right wire if I can ID it. I promise I'll post pics of it all when I finish. Ironically I thought trans temp off the ECM would be a snap... until the instructions arrived. I've got a picture of the right boost bolt. I'm going post-turbo and dropping the elbow to weld a flange should be a snap. I'm just stuck on finding the right dang wire and the friendly folks at BD decided to name the module (ECM) and pin out... put just skip any kind of picture
I do believe you are looking for the PCM and NOT the ECM. I have an X-monitor and it requires you to hook up to the PCM which is onthe firewall passenger side. It has 3 plugs. The center one is white and has a violet wire on it that you connect to.
Well atleast that what my instructions say and they are for the 03-04 X-monitor
Old 03-03-2004, 12:11 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Now that makes sense.

I was wondering about that.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:45 AM

Let me know how it goes. I haven't got mine installed yet and I just want to know if you have any troubles with it. I will have to take mine some place to have them install the Pryo Bung for me because I don't have any welding capabilities
Old 03-03-2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by SuperGewl
I do believe you are looking for the PCM and NOT the ECM. I have an X-monitor and it requires you to hook up to the PCM which is onthe firewall passenger side. It has 3 plugs. The center one is white and has a violet wire on it that you connect to.
Well atleast that what my instructions say and they are for the 03-04 X-monitor
The '04's no longer have a PCM on the passengerside firewall. All of this functionality has been integrated into the ECM.

Dan
Old 03-03-2004, 10:09 PM

The instructions have a nice note for 1998-2003 and indicate trans temp on
"PCM (Center Block) Pin 1 - Violet" There's a nice picture and pinout diagram, along with a table with misc other info.

Then the next line says
"2004: ECM (50-pin C2 block) pin 29 - Dark Green w/Orange tracer"

no picture no nothing... I'm pretty sure I'm looking for the ECM, not PCM. I understand why 2003 owners would have installed it differently. I'm still not sure I can find the ECM and pin 29... though with the color code on the wire I'm thinking I'll know when I do find it. I haven't been able to crawl under the truck and look closely at the driver's side of the block yet... though I do kind of remember a couple big rectangular silver boxes down there. I'll go searching on Saturday.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:19 PM

Ok I'll be constructive now... hope the pics help.

Horace
Old 03-03-2004, 10:21 PM

Another.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:50 PM

THANKS FOR THE PICS! That pointed me to the right general area... somehow I was expecting that thing to be on the firewall.

We got the X-monitor in fine today. fyi on a 2004 there are two connector blocks and you connect to the rear block of connectors (closest to the firewall). If you pull it off and flip it up a little you can read the pin numbers molded into the connector block. I chose the rear block because it had the right color wire in the right location... so I tapped it. The read out gives temps that match what a tranny ought to run - so I think I got it right.