3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Expensive Smoke!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expensive Smoke!!

I'm new and excited about the diesel world and love the horse power I can get out of these amazing trucks. I have a 2004 Dodge 3500 and it was basicaly stock except a camper shell and air bags when I picked it up from a dealer in Irvine with about 10k miles on it 6 months ago. After whatching some videos on the internet of some serious dodges running into the 11's in the 1/4 I decided that is what I want. I searched out a compnay in Orange county that said they could do it. So I took my truck to OC diesel in Hunington Beach Ca. I was origanly quoted about 20k do to some pretty serious mods including a turbo ,wastegate, intercooler, cp3 pump, injectors, Chip,basicaly everything except the tranny to make some serious HP. I took my truck in and about a month went by and I decided to do some additional mods, like a lift and tires, stacks and I guess a more aggressive cp3 and turbo. Whelp I get a estimate for and additional 40g's and obvioulsy I about died. We got the price down to about 47k without the turbo or trans so I couldnt even use the HP. I had the truck for a week and it's back at the shop beacue it got super hot and broke. I'm not sure of the new damage but is this what I should expect?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:05 PM

Um.. For 40K they should make that thing an all out drag truck..
Old 05-14-2007, 02:09 PM

Ouch

That's what i thought
Old 05-14-2007, 02:13 PM

Any suggetions on where I can take my truck in Orange county to get a second opinion, seems shops or mechanics are limited?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Banned

lets see here

$7000 tranny
$600 fuel system
$2000 turbo/manifold
$400 intake
$1590 TST/Smarty (not saying I endorse this, but this is a common set up)
$500 stacks
$2000 tires/wheels
$1200 injectors
$3000 Relentless Dual CP3's
$1500 for a good lift? don't know much about lifts
$1300 Banks Intercooler (price seems high, its what i found in a quick search)
$500 good gauges (EGT, Boost, Rail pressure, Fuel Pressure)

$21,590 in parts

$4318 in labor (20% cost of parts, yes i know thats a very rough estimate)

$25,908 total.

Yes my numbers are rounded and very rough, but im trying to validate or invalidate the shop's numbers.

I bet labor is more, and you could easily spend double the amount on a turbo set up if you go with twins.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you kidding? All that stuff and you ignore the trans? Yes, this is what you should expect. And all that other stuff without the turbo doesn't help either. You don't mention how it got hot, but I'm going out on a limb and suggesting that your EGT's got way out of hand. (The proper turbo would help here) Too much fuel and not enough air and bad things happen. I am by far not the expert here and don't want to go out of my way to bash OC-- but it just seems to me they would have better sense that what you represented here. NO one should recommend all that stuff and not advise you to build the Tranny. IMO, that should be number two after the chip. Be prepared for a good FLAMING!
Old 05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

For 40gs Make sure they install the landing gear and properly mount the pilots parachut. God forbid the fuel pump go out at 35000 feet.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:31 PM

So by the numbers that were writen down, I should have done my home work.
all the labor was about 16k The shop requested that I do a tranny but the trany was an additional 10k the turbo is about 7000 which seems way too high.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:32 PM

Like soulezoo, I question the competence of that shop. Tranny upgrades are a top priority on a moderately built truck, and a larger turbo is a necessity on a high horsepower engine. I suggest you find another shop. Try calling West Coast Diesel Performance in Lake Elsinore. I really don't know anything about this shop but I have heard their name thrown around a bit. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2007, 02:33 PM

Where do you get your work done? Looks like we have the same rigs. Is your truck fast!! 11's fast?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:34 PM

I know I know
Old 05-14-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by lagunadulley
So by the numbers that were writen down, I should have done my home work.
all the labor was about 16k The shop requested that I do a tranny but the trany was an additional 10k the turbo is about 7000 which seems way too high.
Both those prices are rediculous. A fully built tranny will be about $6000, and any tranny shop should be able to install it for a few/several hundred dollars, not $3000!

A large, single turbo is only a couple/few thousand and can be installed in your driveway with hand tools! A shop should be able to drop one in pretty quickly and relatively cheap.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:39 PM

I'd like to see a 7000 dollar turbo, must be made out of solid gold eh?

Laguna, do your homework and cruise around the site for a while before throwing your money away. If you become educated the shops won't be able to rip you off without you putting them in their place. 40k in mods is pushing it into DWiggs territory, and you aren't getting that much done.

tranny
turbo(s)
smarty
FASS or eqiuv
modded CP3
Flux3+
springs, maybe cam
nitrous

Those are the big power adders, and power supporters, there are a couple other little things to throw in there.
Have fun
Old 05-14-2007, 02:39 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
7000 for a turbo and 10k for a tranny??

Tell ya what... give me 5k for the turbo and..

just kidding... You can get the highest priced ATS tranny, which is possibly the highest priced built tranny, installed by a good shop for less than 7k and average good turbo is about 1500 give or take depending on what you want/get.

The best thing you can get for your money right now? Education about your truck... a lot of that you can get here for free (priceless)
Old 05-14-2007, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by lagunadulley
Where do you get your work done? Looks like we have the same rigs. Is your truck fast!! 11's fast?
Mine? No, my truck isn't fast at all. It only has a mild box and a mild programmer. Other than that it's stock in the power department.

By the way, a lift like mine, which geared more for speed offroad, will cost you about $3500. The sickest lift from Carli Suspension $8600.

Quick Reply: Expensive Smoke!!