3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhaust question help

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust question help

Hey all, I just purchased my truck from it's lease....Let the more extreme modding begin!

I was wondering if there was a difference in tone or drone between a muffler delete pipe, or a complete cat back system.

I have a wife and kids, and I don't want to put up with any drone when traveling down the highway, loaded or unloaded. I just want a good tone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have just the cat and i dont seem to have the drone but my tail pipe also sticks out a couple of inches past my bed
Old 03-15-2009, 02:13 PM

I got my 5'' from fullspectrumperformance on ebay and had no drone empty or pulling my 7K toy and gear. I've since went to a single stack and now twin 6'' stacks using the same muff. and kitty is on but took out enough int. to slide my 5'' through and weld up.

It's only kinda loud when going through a tunnel, but can still talk at norm.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:41 PM

Does anyone know of any posted sound clips or videos of the muffler delete pipe?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 05:57 PM

I'll tell you right now, it'll be quiet a bit louder....try removing just the tailpipe right behind muff. and see how it is.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey all, I just purchased my truck from it's lease....Let the more extreme modding begin!

I was wondering if there was a difference in tone or drone between a muffler delete pipe, or a complete cat back system.

I have a wife and kids, and I don't want to put up with any drone when traveling down the highway, loaded or unloaded. I just want a good tone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I did the muffler delete last night and was really surprised. It's not that loud at all... Kind of disappointing. I was expecting it to be a lot louder then it is. At idle and normal driving it's not all that much different then with the muffler on. There's a little deeper tone, but that’s about it. The only time you can actually hear the difference is when you get on it....and even then it's not all that much louder.... deeper tone, yes...loud no....
*I left the cat and resonator in place.

I can tell you this.... It's a PAIN IN THE (CENSORED) to remove the exhaust...
After 2 hours of trying to remove the muffler, i finally said screw it, and hooked a tow strap up to the Rhino and to the exhaust and yanked it off....

Does anyone know of any posted sound clips or videos of the muffler delete pipe?

Thanks
Search "muffler delete" or "straight piped" on you tube. There's a ton of sound clips on there.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:47 PM

If I remember right the stock exhaust was held on with the 'U' style clamps. That style pinches the two pipes together when tightened. That's why theyre so hard to seperate. I usualy either just cut it off with a sawzall or use a cut off wheel to cut a slit alont the over laping part to allow the piece I'm removing to be spread open and pulled off. Just a little gentler way of doing it lol.

The stock mufflers supprisingly (for their size) do little muffling, but a lot of restricting. Dumping it may not make it much louder (sometimes a good thing), but you can bet it's flowing a lot better.

VFDFireman, look around on youtube, there's a TON of videos with differant exhaust set ups.

I dont know how true it is, but I plan on trying this soon as my 5" tbe from Farmboy Diesel gets here. I've heard that if you wrap the down pipe with some of the heat tape they use on the headers of gassers that it helps with the drone. I figure since I have some laying around it's worth a try.

As of now I have removed my stock muffler and cat. I thought the straight pipe was a bit too much so I ordered a 4" straight through muffler from Summit Racing. It's only about 12" long. It still has the straight pipe sound but with a little less bite, and the only drone I get is in a very small window of the rpm range. Luckely with 315's and 3.73 gears it's above my cruising rpm range.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:15 PM

[QUOTE=Clane;2422661]

I can tell you this.... It's a PAIN IN THE (CENSORED) to remove the exhaust...
After 2 hours of trying to remove the muffler, i finally said screw it, and hooked a tow strap up to the Rhino and to the exhaust and yanked it off....

I wanted to yank my muffler off too, but I didn't want to possibly damage the turbo. With my luck I would have pulled the turbo off too.