3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhaust brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust brake

Im new to the Diesel Truck resource world, so i figured i would try to learn something. Im wanting to put an exhaust brake on my truck as i pull a trailer frequently in the summer. Plus i think they are sweet!
What is a good brand? Do they sound anything like a big rig on the outside?
Old 04-20-2008, 12:34 PM

I use a BD Exhaust brakes. I was told by most to go Pacbrake, but I liked the Towloc module that the BD Brake uses. Its laptop programmable, can setup the temps you want the brake the warm up your truck to, can setup when to lockup (if you have an auto) and a bunch of other nce features.

That being said there are many many happpy Pacbrake users on here. It came down to price for me, and I have a local "performance distributor" that sold me the BD Brake for $700, and the Towloc module for $315. I went BD because it had both for cheaper then the Pacbrake.

Most people cannot get prices that are 20-30% off Jobber rate on everything they buy though, so scope out the Pacbrake/BD Brake vendors and decide what you like best.

I'm very happy with my BD Brake.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:49 PM

I just bought a 5" remote mount pacbrake for $1300 shipped to the front door.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Both dad and I have the Jacobs, we are both very happy with it... and we both do a fair amount of towing in the rockies.....

Some say the Pac is more efficient at lower rpms, but for what I do I am not sure that would work as well... I spend a lot of time on dirt roads and the braking from the Jake, even at 1500 rpms is perfect, and if I need a little more braking I just downshift...

Plus I like knowing my EB is Cummins approved, and endorsed.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:35 PM

I love my PacBrake, it is by far the best investment I have made on my truck. 86k on original brake parts. I don't tow very regularly but leave it on at all times due to the hills I run down everyday. I noticed the brake is louder if you have an intake/exhaust. With the stock intake on, the brake is much quieter and since I added the 5" exhaust last year the brake has gotten much louder over my stock 4" exhaust. It doesn't sound like a big rig, but it sounds pretty good to me.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the pack and bd are both good i have a slight preference of bd over pack they work twist as good as jake or banks because of how they control back pressure we have changed most of our banks and jakes to bd
Old 04-20-2008, 04:20 PM

I have a Pac on my 07 5.9L 6 speed and love it to death, i find with the standard transmission you can control your rpms better with downshifting. My dad and brother both have 07 5.9L auto's and I just ordered them both pac brakes from Larry here at the DTR Store and he got me the two brakes for $2195 delivered out of Surrey, BC. Thats just under 1100 bucks each. I phoned around to some places in BC myself and one place in Alberta and I got 3 quotes: $1265, $1275, and $1375. I think the automatics suffer with brakes because they sit at lower rpms so the braking isn't as effective as mine where I'm able to downshift and keep my revs up. The Pac is designed to brake very good down low so I figure its a better brake for the auto's as far as im concerned compared to bd or the jacobs. If you go with pac brake you won't be dissappointed.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:55 PM

I will second the BD brake. Second to none and i like the fact that it doesnt use a hole in the center to control BP on the motor. Not saying anything bad about the pac brake, but i tried it and i think my BD is twice the brake.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should be getting my new Jacobs exhaust brake tomorow. Picked it up for less than half the price of a new one on Ebay, and it's still in the plastic. I'll let ya know how it works...
Old 04-20-2008, 11:20 PM

My buddy had a bd and went to a pac because his butterfly valve seized shut when me and him were hauling his 30+ foot holiday trailer and not to mention he has a welding deck and welder in the truck as well. Needless to say it wasn't a good situation when it got stuck and his egts were through the roof and we were stuck on the side of the road.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:07 AM

BD Power Turbo mount

I am running a BD turbo mount exhaust brake on my 03 and I do tow heavy. BD recommneds 65 psi for my vehicle but I have increased it to 72 and have not had valves & pistons meet yet with the stock valve springs. Any exhaust brake is going to be a definite improvement if you tow.

L8r,..........dogger
Old 04-21-2008, 07:18 AM

Love my Pac Brake, especially with the shiter mounted switch...
Old 04-21-2008, 10:56 AM

The hole in the butterfly (fixed orifice) is still available but for the money a pressure regulated brake is the way to go. By using the PRXB the butterfly regulates the backpressure right down to 1200 RPM, s this resulting in a longer duration of braking.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:08 AM

I LOVE my pacbrake!!!! I was not an expert as this was my first unit so I did my research and asked around. Pac brake was the recommended brake 99% of people I asked!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:21 PM

yea what harold said!

Quick Reply: Exhaust brake