3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

<edit> (Company Policy) at Toyo putting me in a pickle..

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<edit> (Company Policy) at Toyo putting me in a pickle..

Well guys, frustrated does not begin to explain my experience with the idiots at Toyo. I can only suggest that you do not buy their tires.

This started last March, when I upgraded to my kore suspension and wheels. Little did I know that buying these wheels would limit me to only one brand of tire. Well the reality is that only BFG and TOYO make tires 35/12.5/18, and only the TOYO is load range E.

So I bought the 4 toyos, and came to find out I have 2 that are out of round terribly - the entire truck shakes above 40+mph..verified out of round by a roadforce balancing machine.. Well they are on 'national backorder' now, and I've been waiting for 6+ months, and the tires are getting worse and worse. Now the truck shakes so badly on the highway I am afraid to drive it. Here I am on a holiday road trip, towing 4k from OH to FL, now I'm in FL and they are so bad that I dont even want to drive it back.. Toyo is pretty much unwilling to help in an immediate sense, and are so unorganized, they claim I should have had replacement tires a while back etc..blaming the order or reservation process. Meanwhile over the past 6 months 5 calls have been placed/logged from myself as well as the tire retailer, and still no tires. Has anyone else had any resolution?

Anyone tried the Nitto mud grappler? Apparently I am just now (mid post) finding out that they have a E range tire in that size... I am still not excited about shelling out $1300 to get back to where I should have been in the first place...with 4 operational tires...

ARGHHHH!

Last edited by Shovelhead; 12-21-2005 at 01:27 PM. Reason: language
Old 12-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My buddy has the mud grapplers. He's got maybe 10-15k on them and they are half gone. They howl incredibly loudly and they aren't real smooth riding. They work great in the mud though.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:22 AM

Are you looking at only load range E tires???

I wouldn't worry so much about the load range letter, and look more at the actual weight carrying capacity of the tires. You could probably find a load range D, and still be well within weight specs.

BFG makes a Mud Terrain in that size, with a weight rating of 2910lbs. Giving you a total rating of 11,640 lbs, which is WELL over the GVWR.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Banned

You still have to look at the load rating. The load rating tells you how many psi the sidewalls are rated to. The weight tells you what the tire is rated to hold just sitting in place on the road. The load rating tells you what the tire will hold up to around corners and over bumps when your rolling those sidewalls. Finally fought this info out of a goodyear rep over the phone after the dealer called him because he couldn't explain why larger tires that had a higher weight rating also had a lower load rating.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:57 AM

the toyo's are so popular right now there are shortages. that is a tough one. I don't really know if you can blame toyo though. Consumer demand is not always easy to anticipate. every company is going to produce a bad tire hear and there it just sucks number 2 (more politically correct) when you end up getting that one.

I love my toyo's but they are not out of round and the 22" rims are not as popular so they are esier to get.

my .02 is switch the load range E toyo's that are not out of round to the back but some bfg's up front. short story long you are proably going to get the shaft on this one a bit unless the tire place you buy from will help you out which they should. this is only a band aid fix.

I can honeslty say if you get a good set of toyo's you will love them. they wear and ride awesome.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:21 AM

Buy the BFG MT. Quieter...always balance fine and wear longer. Don't be afraid of the D Load Rating...I have run mucho mucho mucho miles on them WAY overloaded with never a issue.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:41 AM

I know this sounds "odd" since they should have already proposed this option BUT as we know sometimes companies don't employ brainiacs. Anyway, I used to work for a tire retailer and many would show "out-of-stock" but will keep a short supply for "emergency release" for situations just as this. Inquire about their emergency release supply. Surely, they have some available.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:55 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I was at the tire shop where I got my TOYO HT's getting them rotated yesterday. Owner told me several of the bigger and off road tires are on hold.
This was brought up voluntarily by him as he is in the same boat as you with other customers. He was assured by TOYO that they are releasing a better tire to replace the messed up tires.

It appears its a widespread issue and as slow as they are to resolve, at least there is something happening. I know it does not solve the problem you have right now but thought I would let you know this.

How do you get inside a pickle?

Scotty
Old 12-21-2005, 11:55 AM
Banned

I have had good luck so far with my Interco TruXus Mud tire. Its load range E, 10 ply, and the road noise is quite good considering the aggressive nature of the tire. Nobody makes big mud tire better then Interco. A Roadforce machine is required, A untrained tire tech can really butcher the balancing of these tires.They are quite heavy cause of the specs of the tire. There are a few pictures in my gallery.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:55 PM

the reason I am upset with toyo is because I have supposedly been on their emergency priority list since august, have seen no tires, and their customer relations guy tells me straight up that these tires are out of stock, but are steadily coming in from the factory, then immediately going out to fill orders..I'm annoyed that newly sold tires are going out before my replacements. they really are dumb to the replacement process it seems too. Very frustrating.

I know some guys do it, but I am loaded to the max a lot and tow sometimes, and am not comfy with load range d.

Being that I refuse to drive up to OH from FL with the current situation, it looks like I'm going to be out $1300 for some nittos that I'm not that excited about.especially after reading the above.. anyone else try nittos?

after that I guess i'll get the two toyos whenever they finally show, buy 2 more, and use them when the nittos wear out..arghh

sorry for the typos, im posting with my mobile phone. scotty, to get in a pickle you'd have to lose a few lbs
Old 12-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightman
scotty, to get in a pickle you'd have to lose a few lbs
Well I guess I will NEVER see the insides of a pickle then.
I don't think those guys are telling it to you straight up.
The place I got my tires sells semi loads of their tires monthly and they have not received ANY replacement or stock tires since the summer in some of their line.
The guy I know that owns the shop also attends different tire meetings all over North America...all he said was, they are fixing a problem.

Lot of good that does his customers and you with that kind of help.

sorry your in a jam. Why not buy just two tires of another brand?
Will the different tread be a problem in a 4x4?
I know a friend of mine that mixe steering/ribbed on the front and traction on the back in his 4x4...worked fine in 4x2 but nearly threw him off the road in snow with 4x4.

Scotty
Old 12-21-2005, 01:46 PM

Scotty, the mixed up story is the source of my frustration. Every time I call toyo the same guy tels me something different. He now claims i've had the tires reserved under my name dor a month, could have gotten them, but my guy simply didn't call the right place. total bs, because the last time we talked, I specifically had the guy at toyo call my local guy to set it up.. frustrating. Who knows, he now claims they are on their way..to OHIO...we'll see I guess...in the meantime I hope the mud grapplers are decent....bottom line is that toyo's inability to replace two tires in six months hasforced me to spend money for a new set of tires for the meantime
Old 12-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Banned

I'l second the thought on the Interco Tuxxus radials, they are a load range E and an awsome on and off road tire. I just couldn't find anybody local to balance em right so my mileage out of em sucked.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:34 PM

The last thing I want is a tire that might not balance right, or requires a special machine, or any more time than hopefully once, to get them right. I am paranoid about too many techs/wrenches hitting those weld rims and dinging them.. just wish it were simpler to buy a set of tires that works..
Old 12-21-2005, 04:25 PM

yeah I have had horrible luck with interco tires and wear so I would be parinoid there. hopefully they are better now. I have 22k on my toyo's and can't till they are worn at all. I have had radial swapers wear compeletly out in 22k. Not sure on the nitto's.

Bad customer service is frustating. I would call them twice a day every day until they got me my tires. aug to now is just unacceptalbe. I would tell them I was going to start a thread on every forum on the internet everday telling people not to buy them. sounds like demand is so high for them they are slacking on the service.

Quick Reply: <edit> (Company Policy) at Toyo putting me in a pickle..