3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

<edit> (Company Policy) at Toyo putting me in a pickle..

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad tires

I know this does not help the situation but when I buy tires, I don't leave the lot till I see the tires roll on the balancer. I would not accept the tires or wheels if I see an obvious problem.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DanTana - I hear ya - When I originally had the toyos installed, I stood there and watched them get balanced - although the shop I went to did not have a roadforce. In any case, they balanced out with reasonably low/acceptable amounts of weight for a 35" tire. I had driven a decent amount of miles on the tires before getting to a shop with a roadforce balancer, and that was when it was determined how out of round they were... I think they were in the neighborhood of 70lbs of roadforce variation/hop! That's why I can't take it anymore..I mean a cup of water in the cupholder at highway speeds would be splashing out it shakes so much...
Old 12-21-2005, 06:20 PM
Banned

I may be way off track here, but I am just asking the question cause I don't know. We all have these aftermarket wheels, how true are they. Is it possible that in some cases they may be the cause of some balance issues.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:33 PM

alot of the times the rims are a factor, but with good rims, i am willing to bet it is the tires.
as with all mud type and at tires, they are harder to balance with the blocks or tread , and large tread patterns, as the tire gets larger , the problem gets worse.
i have never been a big fan of those over priced toyo tires anyway, and that just proves that i will never buy them.i hope you find a decent tire for your trip home.might be cheaper to find some 315 BFGs to get you by until Toyo steps up to the plate. as for the load range, alot of the time that crap anyway, because each tire manufacture rates them different. i know it is your preference, and want to keep a load range e tire on your truck, but i run mine just over 60psi when loaded heavy, with no problems at all. run 50psi at unloaded trips. anyway, just a thought, there might even be some people running or selling that size in that area where you are no, check the local papers.
good luck to ya
Old 12-21-2005, 06:57 PM

Lightman,
What I don't understand is why you are being so nice to Toyo. Call the number you normally do. Talk to the butt head supervisor. Go to a Tire Dealer that handles Nitto and Toyo or BFG and Toyo. Have Toyo replace the tires on the frickin spot at their expense. When the Toyo tires that you had are available give them their interim tires back and get the tires back or get refunded your full purchase price. IF the tires caused you any expenses or suspension damage, which I can't imagine them not, have them cover them. If they balk refer them to this site and others and blog them to death just like people did with firestone. Toyo will be out of the marketplace. Contact all major tire dealers and refer them to your post and ask them to adjust their tire purchasing If you aren't properly looked after which you haven't been to date, then I wont buy their tires and I don't think anyone else who web surfs will. When people do a search on the web for toyo tires your post will come up everytime, just like it did for me when I searched that tire and its size. They are butt heads to date give them one last chance. Companies do this because they count on you giving up. If they mention prorate get irate.
By the way Nittos are 264 and BFG's 311 at discount tire in Florida with 1 to 4 day availability. I'd go with the BFG's but I'd get them siped right away. You will have no problem hauling weight with a 3 ply carcass and reinforced sidewalls. Put them on the front if you are worried at all. The Nittos look loud and the contact patch will put a lot of weight on individual lugs causing quick tire wear. They look awesome offroad but according to discount tire they are better and bfg best. just my $2 KS
Old 12-21-2005, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99cummins - I wondered that myself and had the wheels tested on the roadforce machine - they were true.

ABC - believe me I share your sentiment but with a slightly more realistic approach I guess. I dont think enough people are in my situation or care enough, nor do I have time to 'blog them to death' over a set of tires. I am angry and I did give the guy some serious crap on the phone, tried being demanding to no avail, etc. How can you threaten a guy's product that is selling so fast he can't even get you one? LOL Realistically it's been so long it would have been nice if they would get me 4 new tires.

I agree I'm guessing if I had the stock suspension something would have broken now. To the kore setup it might just be 'normal use' but who knows...nothing obvious yet..
Old 12-21-2005, 07:13 PM

Lightman, I question the fact that they are selling so fast they can't honor a warranty. I think Scotty is closer with they are so bound up with crappy tires that they can't pass a set to you. They are counting on you and everyone else going away. I am sick and tired of companies shipping junk and expecting us to suck it up. We need an ombudsman for the members on this site. One voice to represent us all when we get screwed by the likes of how Toyo has treated you. Any retired lawyers out there with a nice Dodge truck. Maybe Jack can get you to Beta test for our loyal sponsors who are honorable vendors and you the ombudsman can give the others the gears ks
Old 12-21-2005, 08:11 PM

i have 37 inch bfg muds they are awsome no rode noise, really nice tires havnt worn at all i have drove em bout 10k
Old 12-21-2005, 08:20 PM

Lightman, Did you talk to the guys at Kore about this. Those wheels and tires are their babies. You'd think they'd have a set lying around. ks
Old 12-22-2005, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lightman
the reason I am upset with toyo is because I have supposedly been on their emergency priority list since august, have seen no tires, and their customer relations guy tells me straight up that these tires are out of stock, but are steadily coming in from the factory, then immediately going out to fill orders..I'm annoyed that newly sold tires are going out before my replacements. they really are dumb to the replacement process it seems too. Very frustrating.

I know some guys do it, but I am loaded to the max a lot and tow sometimes, and am not comfy with load range d.

Being that I refuse to drive up to OH from FL with the current situation, it looks like I'm going to be out $1300 for some nittos that I'm not that excited about.especially after reading the above.. anyone else try nittos?

after that I guess i'll get the two toyos whenever they finally show, buy 2 more, and use them when the nittos wear out..arghh

sorry for the typos, im posting with my mobile phone. scotty, to get in a pickle you'd have to lose a few lbs

You do know that Toyo owns Nitto?? Maybe they will give you credit toward the Nittos.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:27 AM

Try to take a credit from who you purchased them for for a set of BFG's. I know you will be happy. With your suspension (since it is "better" than mine) it should ride like your Mercedes at cruzin speed. Mine does!

Every couple of years I always go try another tire...but somehow I always end up unhappy and go back to BFG AT or MT. They have never let me down. I have had 1 out of round tire in 24...and after 2,000 miles with it rotated to the back...it rounded itself and was perfect for another 40k.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightman:

Sorry to hear of your debacle. Frustration doesn't adequately say it, does it?

The only think I can think of that may help as a band-aid fix would be perhaps dumping in a bunch of balance beads-- maybe double or triple the normal about you'd need.

I wonder if this would help, or only make it worse. It sounds like it can't get much worse, so it might be worth a try...

hth
Old 12-22-2005, 12:12 PM

Lightman:
Toyo is actually notorious for having supply issues. They are the spec tire for several race classes (including the very popular SCCA Spec Miata road racing class).
They have long had problems keeping the racers supplied with enough tires. If they can't make enough (of a relatively low volume) race compound tire, I am not all that surprised that they can't keep a very popular off-road tire in supply either.
I would do as ABC suggested and hound them and demand some sort of reparation. Most large companies will, once you get past the customer service drone. I have also found that actually writing letters to corporate offices' customer relations works wonders. I used to have a car that had its share of build issues. My service manager told me that he couldn't do anymore and that I should write the manufacturer. I did (certified) and got a letter a few weeks back telling to take the car back to the dealer and everything I needed would be taken care of, no question (I was out of warranty by then)

anyway, the point is, get after them and don't let them shaft you.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:41 PM

Well lightman I might have a solution to your problem. I just happen to recieve a set of Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's yesterday. LT325/65R18 35x13.50R18LT load range E Waiting on my new rims to mount them on.

Here is the site with the specs.
http://mickeythompsontires.com/truck.html
Old 12-22-2005, 08:47 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I've got the 35 12.50 17" toyo mts on my truck right now. No complaints at all. I had the bfg mts on prior. I put 55,000 miles on the bfg tires with out one flat or problem with the tires. They aren't as smooth as the toyos, but I think they last longer. I had a 4200lb camper on the truck while pulling a 19' jet sled behind me with the bfgs and never had any tire issues.

Hope yiour tire luck turns around for you.

Kris

Quick Reply: <edit> (Company Policy) at Toyo putting me in a pickle..