3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dr. Performance Predator

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dr. Performance Predator

Is there anyone out there with any knowledge of the predator? how are you mileage and performance gains. On the surface it sounds great but hype is hype.

I'd apreciate any input from someone running with one. The stage 2 has caught my eye.

Garry
Old 04-22-2004, 10:21 AM

Until someone else comes up with a reply, here's a previous thread on it.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...mance+predator
Old 04-22-2004, 11:45 AM

Thanks Coma,

That's kind of what I was getting at, the only folks hailing them as the next savior are the guys that want my money. The literature varies from 10 to 15% fuel mpg increase and stated at various places that it doesn't void the warrantee because it's non detectible....hmmm no guages needed is the other selling point.

Anyone actually running them that isn't selling them?

Garry

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/ga...-Trailer/trkbt
Old 05-21-2004, 03:47 PM

Well, my dealer has me sold on it. Yup, my dealer! Having it installed on tuesday, full warranty and all Stage 2, gonna hafta find a dyno now. Uh oh, I think I just got bit by the bombin' bug!
Old 05-22-2004, 12:22 AM

My local dealership here in Abilene sells them and actually warranties them if they do the install they also go for aftermarket exhaust intake and supension mods. They actually have a few modded trucks on the lot for sale at all times. They have a place in Dallas do the work for them. I took a ride in one a few weeks back and the chip did make quite a difference.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:31 PM

converteddzlr please let us know if your mileage improves once you get used to driving with the extra power and can resisit giving it the old lead foot
Old 05-22-2004, 10:42 PM

I've not heard anything good about the Dr. Performance on any of the forums. My dealer installed a Bully Dog adjustable for me to demo last week and I'm blown away. The shifting is smoother, the power is where it needs to be, and my mileage has not gone down on calculated. It would be higher but those duraslax just keep coming back for more learning. My towing mileage calculated is a little higher, probably due to less uphill downshifts on the rolling hills. I have a 600 mile round trip and we'll see how she makes out loaded to the max. I'm going to run in the middle setting until the gauges are online. K.S.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:45 AM

26.2 mpg huh?
Old 05-23-2004, 02:09 AM

The bully dog don't void wrnty? If one dealer puts it on, will all other dealers honor it?
Old 05-23-2004, 04:53 AM

dealers and warranties

no, no, no. no! you are your own warranty station. guys guys, dont' misunderstand the warranty thing. My dealer installs the Bullydog too, but pls note:

1. The DEALER is not the arbiter of a warranty claim. they are a REPRESENTATIVE. The fact that some dealers install boxes and have confidence in them is good. it means that they will go to bat for you and will turn in service under warranty even if the box is on. However, it is NOT THEIR AUTHORITY to grant warranty coverage for catestrophic failures of the nature that improper or irresponsible use of a fueling box would cause. Some repair items are STAR line authorized only. for example, you can't even buy a MAP sensor without STAR involvement.

2. The zone office or whatever its called can override the dealer. and you can bet they will if the dealer tries to warrant an engine rebuild or a broken transmission input shaft. About the time you excersize this "warranty" for a failure that really could have been caused by the box, you will find a little different story.

3. the more people publicize the fact that dealers are putting boxes on and covering the warranty, the more likely it is for the DC upper echelons to get involved and before you know it, trickle down policy from DC will result in dealerships loosing their franchises, or all of a sudden they wont' be installing boxes anymore or covering them under warranty. All it will take is for some moron to run his truck into high EGTs while towing at high elevation and exersize that "warranty" promised by the dealer, and DC will suddenly wake up and squash all this optimistic talk about boxes and warranty.

now, I recognize that there have been examples where DC has covered a repair. Seems like someone even trashed his stock turbocharger with a TST box and got the dealer to cover it. well thats both lucky and dishonest. My point is that Bullydog, DR. Performance, and any other fueling box can, if used irresponsibly, cause failures, and dealer coverage of these are exceptions, not rules. The more these examples are elevated and exposed, the more likely DC is to wake up and realize that fueling boxes can break engines and that they don't have to warranty them. For every reasonable dealer who supports the responsible use of a fueling box, there are 10 who will slap on a restricted warranty if they see evidence of a fueling box.

and don't anyone go running up the DC flagpole in an attempt to prove the warranty thing. you'll just ruin everything. read what it says in your manual about performance enhancements.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:44 PM

Okay, just hooked up the Stage 1, haven't installed the air box yet and did about 38 klicks (not like that's gonna tell me much but hey ) What a kick in the pants, not so much at the low end, but a truck length from the light and you're accellerating smooth and FAST! From the little distance on the known route that I always travel I got an immediate 17% increase in fuel economy ... according to the computer, hand calculations to follow on the next fill. I think I'm gonna like this