3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Does anyone else feel that KORE and Banks are in the same boat (Busniess)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone else feel that KORE and Banks are in the same boat (Busniess)

Ok you guys know how most of us feel about Banks overall........ well I now feel the same way about KORE.

I think KORE has lost alot of potential customers witheen the last 8 monts or so, from the way they conduct busniess.

It seems that they have the same marketing tactics as Banks and just the way they run busniess. I mean its good for them but bad for us.

I personally havent done busniess with either....it's just what I Hear, See, and Read.

What do you think????
Old 04-08-2006, 11:40 PM

I personally have no problems with Kore. I called after hours about a week ago. Kent answered the phone and personally took my order. I received my order for a Chase system about 3 business days later. I believe the price is fair and he charged me all of 35 bucks shipping. Kent answered the phone when I called yesterday with a technical question about the install and he helped me through it. I appreciated the personal service, both times.

I've also "heard" things about Kore, but I am happy with their product and service. And you can't deny that their stuff is top notch.

Rick
Old 04-14-2006, 01:58 AM
Banned

I guess im alone....
Old 04-14-2006, 07:18 AM

You can't really have an opinion about something that you have no first hand experience. I guarentee(sp?) that Gale Banks would never take a phone order or answer a technical question. The reason that banks is the way they are is because they are WAY bigger than most other diesel performance guys. That is why they have the HUGE advertising budget. It is also why their customer service sucks. I guess they are too big of a company and hire morons just to fill a spot like most corporations. At least they haven't outsourced to India yet.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by BigDan
I guess im alone....
im with ya, I was looking at their product for quite a while. at the end of the day I decided they did not fit my price performance budget. Kind of like the power market. They, banks, do not fit my budget, I feel I can get the same power or more for less. I think we are there with the suspension world now.
This is good for us, not bad.
They can all run their businesses they way they see fit. we can just buy from who ever we want.

And yes, I purchsed the Lorenz equipment. They fit my price performace guidelines.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I know that KORE uses some Banks products on his truck, and has had a limited business partnership of some kind, with providing suspension for Banks Sidewinder trucks that you can buy.

That said, I don't think they are the same to the extend someone may be thinking. At least with KORE, you get something for the big dollars. You get high quality-- likely the best in existence.

With Banks, the expensive stuff are usually of average or even sub-par quality! Banks gauges are made by Hewitt. Not too impressive that they charge so much for them.

Likewise for other Banks components. They make some pretty stuff that's expensive, but not really worth the money in terms of performance gain. It's only POSSIBLY worth the money in terms of what they spent to make it.

In short, Banks will spend $200 to make a part that gives $50 of performance (if any, like the High Ram), and charge you $300 for it...

That's my uninformed opinion.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:26 PM

Dan, without firsthand experience, your going off of hear say. True, I feel Banks is overpriced for the product delivered. They have a few nice items, like their intercoolers(way overpriced), but I shy away from their performance boxes and such. I have a close friend that installs their stuff, and is booked out over a month. But most of his clientele are older people, he refers to as coffin dodgers.

Now for KORE and their suspensions, I wouldn't quite put them in the same category as the others out there. Having owned 2 different systems on 2 different trucks, and having installed several different systems on other's trucks, I'd say they are well worth the cost. The new CHASE system, is just what the consumer has been asking for. A great system for a great price.

I have the new CHASE on my 98, and am very impressed with it's overall manners and handling.

I have driven trucks with the other systems, and again, based on my experiences, do not feel they are comparable.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:38 PM

the kore systems are definitely made up of high quality, well engineered parts that compliment eachother very well. I have no problem with them charging whatever people are willing to pay. for those that have the knowledge and ability to do the research and get the same stuff for cheaper, fantastic. for those that don't have the knowledge/ability, all it takes is money. welcome to the automotive customizing world.

IMO that was a good business venture for Banks and KORE to team up. Banks is a household name and when people see KORE stuff half the time they see Banks, that's a LOT of 'free' advertising for KORE. Remember that even though there's a ton of DTR members and the collective gearhead knowledge is vast, we still only make up a small(but growing) percentage of modified diesels on the road. I'd say it was a venture more for name recognition than anything; KORE doesn't have to worry about who promotes them for people to know they make quality stuff, they just need someone to promote them. there are still people that have no idea there's anyone other than Gale Banks for diesel upgrades. consider this, how many people across the country know of Banks vs. how many people regularly follow desert racing and the vendors. I can guarrantee there are a ton of nameless/unknown fabricators and gearheads that make amazing stuff for desert racing but they don't have big name recognition. KORE just decided to take what started as their hobby and step up in the big league to sell.

I guess I would call them a 'mainstream' company aggressively seeking the biggest profit margin instead of a good ol' boy local fabrication shop that goes by word of mouth, happy with a small, loyal customer base. nothing wrong with either one of those, there's huge benefits to both.
Gale Banks and J.R. Granatelli(yes, the induction upgrades for gassers) are both listed as drivers on KORE's website.

there's no way I could've bought a '56 chevy sedan with an EFI engine and 4 speed auto lockup TC tranny, A/C, pwr steering, custom stereo, bucket seats and good suspension in high school...so I learned how to build cars when I was in jr high. If someone doesn't have the money or ability they're SOL for a custom performance mods. those are the people that bondo ground effects kits, neon lights and wings onto their 'rides'.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:28 PM

Both are in the same boat. They have great advertising and what not, but your money is better spent on a not so big name custom component that usually works better anyway.

Like a banks 6 gun or a TST box? I think we all know which is better if we pooled all of our own opinions together.

Banks makes it easy for someone who doesnt know much about performance and with limited mechanical ability to achieve what others do with a little brain storming and some muscle. You buy the complete banks package from a retail outlet store that will install all components for you. Easy for everyone involved and Banks makes money.

There is a market for everything, its just a matter of making the product. No one is right or wrong for buying one or the other, but you may get more for your money if you look around and ask some questions.
These are my opinions and mine only, If you agree, great, if you dont, great. This world would be boring if we all thought the same thing of every thing.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by DmaxEter
Both are in the same boat. They have great advertising and what not, but your money is better spent on a not so big name custom component that usually works better anyway.

Like a banks 6 gun or a TST box? I think we all know which is better if we pooled all of our own opinions together.

Banks makes it easy for someone who doesnt know much about performance and with limited mechanical ability to achieve what others do with a little brain storming and some muscle. You buy the complete banks package from a retail outlet store that will install all components for you. Easy for everyone involved and Banks makes money.

There is a market for everything, its just a matter of making the product. No one is right or wrong for buying one or the other, but you may get more for your money if you look around and ask some questions.
These are my opinions and mine only, If you agree, great, if you dont, great. This world would be boring if we all thought the same thing of every thing.
Well said DmaxEter
Old 06-05-2006, 10:57 PM

When I entered the world of diesels about 18 months ago, I did the stupid thing right off the bat -- I called Banks to inquire about their products. Keep in mind that this was a SALES call, not support. I was informed at the time that all of the sales reps were busy and that one of them would call me back. I was calling about the 6 gun with speed loader and the all-new high-ram intake (at that time). They returned my call NINE MONTHS LATER! I told them I had already purchased an EZ, TST, and a slew of other products. They missed out on a few thousand dollars in sales.

Now lets compare that experience to Kore. I called Kore two times and DRC three or four times prior to purchasing a Kore system. They were very helpful and truthful in describing exactly what was different between each package. I ended up going with the DRC race version of the package. During the install I was able to get prompt technical support late in the evening after normal working hours. I had a small issue with part of the suspension a short while after the install and I had no problem getting them to take care of me.

So, my view is best defined in this analogy:
Kore is to Banks
as
Cummins is to Powerstroke

Easy enough? I think so!
Old 06-06-2006, 12:09 AM

now that you mention the delay it brings back a fond memory I have of Bank$. right when I bought my truck I knew it had the stinger plus on it so I was looking at what the difference was between that and a powerpack. so I called banks, got the 'salesmen are unavailable' and 'we'll call you back' routine. 4 weeks later, I'd forgot that I even called and by that time I'd found DTR and found a ton of better things to do.

nothing wrong with being proud of a good product and asking a bunch of money if you'll get it, like kore; i have a problem with someone being proud of pirated technology that's marginal at best and selling it as premium.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:32 AM

I agree. Banks is for people that give into hype instead of doing their research to get the best possible product for the best possible deal.