3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do Aeroturbines reduce Exhaust Brake Retarding Power?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Aeroturbines reduce Exhaust Brake Retarding Power?

I am considering adding an aeroturbine (4040L - with resonator) to the exhaust right after the cat and straight piping after the aeroturbine.

I have read that the aeroturbine accelerates the exhaust out of the system - i.e. it's a scavenger. Will this impact the retarding power of the exhaust brake?

As far as I understand it, the exhaust brake butterfly valve doesn't fully close so doesn't it stand to reason that if you accelerate the flow of exhaust after the brake, the brake will be less effective?

anybody experience less retarding power after adding an aeroturbine?
Old 02-22-2005, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about that, but I have personally witnessed unlimited retarding power when enough retards gather in one spot. They can make just about anything retarded!
Old 02-22-2005, 04:51 PM

I agree with your reasoning. I am not all the familiar with the Aeroturbine, but if it pulls the exhaust that would decrease backpressure which is what is giving you the retarding in the first place. I don't know about the BD (as it voids your warranty), but the Mopar/Jacobs exhaust brake has a bleed hole in the middle of the butterfly. The butterfly does close all the way, its just the bleed hole keeps the backpressure from going over 60psi and floating the exhaust valve open (which can be very, very bad).
Old 02-22-2005, 05:19 PM

I talked to BD and Aero Turbine. Both assure me that the aeroturbine will not affect the brake performance. Turns out the BD brake also has a butterfly plate with a bleed hole so it closes off the pipe completely - should be allright then.

By the way, Aero Turbine mentionned that they have had numerous problems with people removing the kittie and putting an aero turbine in it's place. Apparently the backpressure reduction is significant enough to lose some low end torque...I'm going to put mine right onto the kittie outlet and see what happens. This is also supposed to be the setup that kills the drone.