3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dif size Flux injectors in one engine!? :S

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the reply Don
Just be honest and tell me if the holes aren't larger on the marked injectors, then the rest?
why does only one have rust?

i havent scratched them, but some mechanic that pulled them to clean them did... Being confident, since he rebuilds PSD injectors all the time...and yes, it was to remove the aluminum from the melted piston.

Why do they rust?

Im not sure if you care about a Mexican customer, that you already got
about $2500 from... or if its just this truck eating them expensive sticks all the time! But please i need them sticks to work!

Please suggest the filters needed to prevent rust and algae and junk over 2mic
Old 08-19-2009, 09:28 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I checked the holes. They are exactly as needed. The holes appear larger because the rust has opened up the outside diameter making them look larger. Imagine a reversed cone shape.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:02 PM

My .02 worth. Water is very hard to deal with. Separated and entrained. Some additives will entrain the water so that it will be carried through the system, and "dry out" the fuel system. Alcohol is one of the additives that is used because it's hygroscopic. The other type of additive causes the water to separate out of the fuel, and can then be caught by water trap type filters.

If water is entrained in the fuel, it will separate out under high temps and pressures. If you use fuel that has water in it, even the best filter/separators will not get all the water out. When this fuel goes through the high pressure injection system, in large enough quanities, the entrained water will cause problems. Both from rust and from cavitation.

Paul
Old 08-20-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well put paul. There's not a whole lot a filter can do to get water out. Especially a large dose. Running the pressures that a common rail fuel system runs, only multiplies the effects of water in the system. only suggestion i have is to run alcohol in your fuel tank. It works wonders. It allows the water to mix with the alcohol and allows it to be burnt in the cylinder.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
have you taked a sample of the fuel you guys have down there? I hear horror stories up here all the time about the poor fuel quality down there.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:34 AM

What's new on the sticks? Are they ready? Is it possible to have them in El Paso by Monday? It's a 6 hour drive for us and will go there Monday and would like to pick them up. Btw why did they rust? They did not even run for 1 tank fuel since last time. Did you bench test them. ?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how long did that tank of fuel sit in the truck?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:11 AM

Maybe couple months not totally sure.

We run new CR tractors all the time on Mexican fuel. have had no problems yet. There are many many diesel trucks running round too and I don't see them have any more problems then in the states.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Put a Fleetguard FS1000 water seperator on the truck. Not sure what kind of setup your run, but this what I would do. I have a kit at my house I have yet to install.

This is the same filter used for Marine diesels.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:20 AM
DTR Advertiser

Yes, you have water present in the tank or at least have had water in it since we rebuilt these injectors last time.

We just found 3 injectors with slightly higher than normal back leakage. 15 m/l VS. a standard of 10-11 m/l. After disassembly we have found light damage from water in the fuel. This eats away at the ball seats surface.

BTW, this is the same damage we found last time and had to rebuild all 6 for the same reason.

Please do the following:

1) Drain the old fuel out of the tank.
2) Purchase an algaecide and use it per the instructions. Not more than recommended.
3) Replace the fuel filter before and after the algae treatment.
4) Always drain the seperator and change filters often. You are running elevated pressures and volumes of fuel. The amount of fuel that is passing over the ball seat is very high VS a stock programmed and run engine.

The fuel quality should be fine in Mexico, but an isolated tank of poor fuel can kill a CR injector set in under 50 miles.

NEVER use fuel from a farm tank, bulk tank, etc. The condensation water levels can be extremely high. The old mechanical injection systems can take a ton more water in the fuel than a CR can.

I cant repair these 3 by days end, so these will not ship today
Old 08-24-2009, 01:28 PM

What brand algaecide please? Not sure where to find it...

Btw is 15 Ml so bad to be charging that much again?
Old 09-14-2009, 02:49 PM

Update:

Truck Finally runs great! It doesn't smoke as blue anymore,
it's rattle/knock at low boost is gone
engine finally idles smooth. Before the doores shaked...it filled up the shop with blu/white smoke. Even after you just went through them... Charging $900