3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Diablo vs. Superchips vs. BD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaBOMB
I own all of the tuners in question, and it really comes down to what your looking for in a tuner. Here's my take on each tuner that I own and have used on my '06:

Superchips FlashPaq - Provides moderate power with virtually no smoke. However, it's been plagued by pathetic product support and empty promises of an extreme tune. In fact, it's been detuned to make it compatible with their FireFly product.

Diablo Predator - Provides excellent power, but can be a little on the smokey side if you aren't careful with the throttle. The support while at first was excellent has recently slipped. Also, my truck idles/runs somewhat rough with this tuner compared to the others.

Triple Dog - Provides excellent power and the smoke is very controllable, it can smoke as little or as much as you'd like. Support is excellent as you can talk directly with the engineer, Bud Kunz, right here on DTR. The recent 2.4 software release put this tuner back on top IMHO.

SmartyCR - Provides excellent power, but likes to smoke regardless of the power level or tune. You can drive it without smoking if you don't mind being one of the the slowest accelerating vehicles on the road. But, this is the only tuner to make the claim of not being detectable by the dealer making it warranty friendly. Support is good, but could be better.

Good Luck!

Good info right there. I remember how the Superchips was before they detuned it. More power, it was perfect I thought. I have been excited about getting a smarty since I have a chance to get a reflash. Erasing key counts is huge. But I friggin' hate big smoke with a passion. So that is good to know.

Thanx Mega.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 AM

Wow...................I cant complain about SC especially when i'm putting down 548 rwhp. I dont smoke, my rail doesn't go dry and I don't need to stack where other guys are.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by BothellDiesel
Wow...................I cant complain about SC especially when i'm putting down 548 rwhp. I dont smoke, my rail doesn't go dry and I don't need to stack where other guys are.

Wow! Great numbers. Good 4 you. When was the last time your SC was updated?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by jmccart
Wow! Great numbers. Good 4 you. When was the last time your SC was updated?
good question.

I was on vacation last month and bought a SC @4wheelparts. I believe it to have the lowest HP TQ tunes you guys are talking about installed. It says its for the 03-07 5.9, so that's how I'm coming up with the latest tuning installed.

I love the power it gives but I don't like the noises (sounds like a rattle kind of) on Power Setting. It will smoke if I go full throttle but only for 1 big puff. I can load it up at 55 in OD with TC locked and I can get ALOT OF SMOKE if I want.

Tow Setting REALLY wakes up the motor. I LOVE it. I can blow the tires off if I go past half throttle from a stop. Once moving above 15 that isn't a prob.

Pullin 9-10K toy hauler running stock I can hold any speed I want on the big hills around here. I just need to be at the desired speed when I hit the bottom.
On the Tow Setting it doesn't matter as I can easily accel. up to what ever speed I like. Even if I'm only half way up going 55. The speedo doesn't fly but I'm def. accel. at a nice rate.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:44 PM

I have the new firefly,no problems good performance no smoke.I took it out for the smarty like the smoke and peformance is better.The firefly is three weeks old anyone interested I will sell it cheap pm me.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ryfrat
I have the new firefly,no problems good performance no smoke.I took it out for the smarty like the smoke and peformance is better.The firefly is three weeks old anyone interested I will sell it cheap pm me.

When you say you like the smoke and performance better, do you mean the Smarty makes better power and smokes less than the Superchips?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:25 PM

I've never had the Superchips, but I have used the Bully Dog Triple Dog with Crazy Larry and the Diablo Predator with/without the Puck. I really liked the BDTD; the smoke was controllable and the power was great. However the Predator has more bottom end and much more smoke than the Triple Dog. I prefer the Predator alone with no puck; it feels stronger with that setup. The EGT's were higher on my truck with the Triple Dog. Both programmers basically do the same thing and have similiar results. The Predator just seems to have a bit more power and bottom end. I never tried the 2.4 programming in the Triple Dog though; I have heard that it's a different animal.

Both are good programmers and you can't go wrong with either. Just pick one and go for it. I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

By the way, I do have a Predator that I bought a couple months ago for an 06-07 model year truck. It has the latest revision with no idle or cruise problems. I'm moving into a new truck, so I'd be willing to give someone a good deal on it if anyone is interested. PM me for more details.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:26 PM

As far as the SC goes, is there a way to download different settings from the website? I just did some updates lastnight but have not flashed the ECU with it yet. What exactly do the updates do? I know you can download crazy larry and some other things for other tuners, it is possible with the SC?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by jmccart
When you say you like the smoke and performance better, do you mean the Smarty makes better power and smokes less than the Superchips?
I think he was saying that he likes the smoke and power of the Smarty.