3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Death Wobble Cause?

Hello,

I have never personally experienced the Death Wobble but I have read info and have just viewed the video's on Thuren's site. What I take from the video's is that the tires have been improperly balanced with weights only on one side of the rim and the shocks are wasted(new or not). Anyone with specifics on actual cause.

I know many have made this or that modification and mostly cured the problem. This seems like a bandaid or partial diagnosis to the actual/full cause. I know many times a difficult problem is actually a combination of issues.

Damon
Old 03-31-2008, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had a few different trucks all have been lifted from 15 inches to 6. I also have a friend that had a bone stock truck that had the wobble. On my 2002 chevy hd the wobble would start when I took off from a stop and hit about 40 50 mph and would hit a bump in the road and it would cause the whole truck to wobble back and forth especially in the steering wheel. The problem was it needed steerin stabilizers and that took care of the problem 100%. In fact since then I have never owned a truck that I didnt put them on.
My friends truck on the other hand was a dodge 2004 4dr 4x4 not lifted with 265 85 r16 tires on it. his truck would wobble at around 60 to 70 and would do it really really bad until it felt like the tires where hopping off of the ground. the only way he could get his to stop was the hit the brakes hard till he slowed down to about 40 to 45. we checked everything from steering stabilizers to control arms to his shocks and none of that was the problem. I kept tellin him it was his track bar but he didnt want to believe me. Finally we took it off to look at the bushings and that is what it was. when the track bar was in the truck you couldnt tell it was messed up, but once we took it out you could tell the bushings where gone. When I say we checked everything, I mean everything. we even checked the bearings and ball joints, all that stuff and it was all good. once the track bar was done the truck rode perfectly. sorry for such a long letter. hope this helps out.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:07 PM

I think that there are many things that may cause DW. For me it was my tires.
When I had the stockers on, it happened once. Tires were underinflated.
When I had BFG's, it happened often when the miles increased on the tires. They were D rated tires.
Installed Nitto E rated and no more problems.

If you are having DW, I would first check your tires as it is commonly overlooked. If they check out then ball joints, bushings, track bar,etc...
Old 04-01-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the tires for balance, wear & inflation, make sure there's plenty of caster in the lower control arms, and that the trackbar bushings are tight - the soft OEM pieces are junk.

Both a sector shaft stabilizer and steering dampener will improve steering response/feel, but are only bandaids for DW.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello,

I do not have a problem thank goodness. I have installed a sector shaft stabilizer and was rewarded with reduced wander at speed. I don't know much about DW but wanted to get some feedback. So many posts have different solutions and I was wondering if there was a common failure element.

Thanks for the input.
Damon
Old 04-02-2008, 12:52 AM

Id thank the good lord you dont flop down the road like alot of our 3/4 and 1 ton breathren do and if it ever happens I would call Thuren and xlr8r to help me find the issue. They seem to have the best handle on things of this nature and make good products to aid in your dilema.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by mopardamo
Hello,

I have never personally experienced the Death Wobble but I have read info and have just viewed the video's on Thuren's site. What I take from the video's is that the tires have been improperly balanced with weights only on one side of the rim and the shocks are wasted(new or not). Anyone with specifics on actual cause.

I know many have made this or that modification and mostly cured the problem. This seems like a bandaid or partial diagnosis to the actual/full cause. I know many times a difficult problem is actually a combination of issues.

Damon
I had a case of the wobbles between 45-50MPH, and it got real bad above 70 in my old 96 1/2 ton. first I tried the tires, which were about half worn, that made it ride better, but still had a wobble. Then I replaced the stock rims which finally solved the wobble. 500 miles later I blew the rear end, and after replacing with one from a junkyard, I had no problems for 45,000 miles until I sold the truck...and bought a CTD