HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

track bar/death wobble problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry track bar/death wobble problems

i am having all kinds of problems with the death wobble tonight i snapped my track bar in half it was 2 days old help me please i have a 3 inch lift on it with the bar relaction kit and have put new balljoints 3 track bars adn a new steering stablizer on it had this problem before the lift was put on it
Old 02-08-2004, 07:22 AM

Is the track bar relocation bracket tight to the frame? I had to weld mine since it would never stay tight with just bolts.

Check to make sure the rotors are not warped. Do you feel the brakes pulse when you slow down? Turn each front wheel with the truck raised and see if the brakes drag at a point.

Check to see if any of the wheels/tires are out of round. I found the best way is to have all 4 wheels off the ground with the truck up on 4 jack stands. Run the engine at idle and in gear and 4 wheel drive engaged. I then take a bench and place it against the front of the spinning tire. You will be able to tell if it is out of round if the tire does not touch the bench consistently as it turns.

My '84 had the death wobble and it was caused by the tires being out of round.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2004, 01:45 PM

Also check your alignment, that also plays a big part in the "death wobble". You can do an ok job checking it yourself. I usually run with an 1/8 of tow in.

Good luck
Old 02-08-2004, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel for ya, I've driven a 96 2500 reg cab 5 spd, with a NASTY death wobble.

Not fun at all.

It can be quite a thrill at highway speeds.

First time it happened I was certain a wheel had fallen off.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:20 PM

I think I experienced it this morining. I was petering along at 60, and thenext thing I know im in the other lane. I thought I had a flat tire. It just pulled itself over there like it knew what it was doing!

it scared me.

phillip
Old 02-13-2004, 10:52 AM

If it broke a new trackbar, the problem is very probably your balljoints or tie-rod ends.

I've been working on a few friends' front end issues here in town, after giong thruogh mine completely last summer I feel like I have a handle on things, and something I've noticed: A bad trackbar can get replaced, and go bad within a few thousand miles: the answer isn't the trackbar, it's just the weak link in the system - usually it's bad tierod ends. On 2 trucks so far, when a replacement trackbar went bad again quickly, if we jacked up the front axle you could wiggle the front tires left/right without the opposite tire moving. They have to be absolutely TIGHT with each other - no slight wobbling, etc. I think a lot of people presume their brake rotors are warped mistakenly... I have 233,000 miles on my original, never-turned rotors and they are in great shape.

Try turning the tires left/right by hand (on the tires) with the steering locked, or better - just jack up one tire at a time, leave the other ont he ground - and see if you can force it to move by hand at all...

Also, when the tie rod ends wear out - I *HIGHLY* recommend doing a Luke's link upgrade on them. SOOOO much cheaper than replacing the outer tie rod ends, because one of the outer ends is not replaceable - you have to replace the entire $300 bar it's a part of...

good luck,
-scott
Old 02-13-2004, 08:54 PM

thanks for all the help i found out my axle is mispostioned it is to far to the passenger side so i am taking it to the local custom susspension shop and they are going to relocate the axle back to oem specs and align the truck